• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Haskins - Going Forward

Some ‘I’m not having a good day‘ body language here. I do feel sorry for the you g man. Tough to take a public demotion like that and maintain ones calm and dignity. You have to wonder what is going through his mind? Hopefully not writing his tweet for later today...

D9A7CFC1-7816-4988-AAED-C7EB69A715CD.jpeg

Definitely odd not to be taking any reps however, maybe they're giving him a mental health day and a chance to breathe for a moment with the s*** show so far this season has been. Of course they could be having him watch because a trade is on the way.

Attitude move over playbook. Allen offers more immediately with each, but this move is about the off the field issues that DH has struggled with since becoming a professional.

I'm unaware of off field issues volsmet, maybe I just missed them with how hectic the year has been. Can someone or you elaborate?

I'm unaware of off field issues volsmet, maybe I just missed them with how hectic the year has been. Can someone or you elaborate?

Just his ability/willingness to invest the lessons of his mistakes. He gets defensive & justifies everything he does rather than taking the coaching, accepting that authority, and investing the lesson within that instruction. He has struggled to accept ownership; there is some hope that watching Allen respond to coaching will help DH with that aspect of his game/prep, but frustration with DHs pride is immense.

I'm guessing there's more going on here than just his play. That's a deep hole. :)

Had a thought on the drive home just now. With the reports last week of how the staff & DH’s meetings were leaked to the press, it could have been DH & or his agent who leaked them. Throw in his agent airing things in public & voila.

Just a thought

Rivera has to make this move.

Part of his coming here was accountability and not favoring any sacred cows the way the previous regime did under Jay and Bruce.

Objectively, I see the same player out there each week. Haskins doesn’t add any throw or improvement in execution to his arsenal.

What is truly alarming is he just doesn’t show the anticipation or instincts for the game at this level.

And evidenced by his comments after the Browns game where he said he wasn’t looking down receivers, Dwayne seemingly doesn’t have an awareness of his flaws.

I expected some INTs this year as he took some risks in expanding his game but the poor mechanics was something one would think would improve from 2019.

We can argue over whether the team should have signed Newton if we were going to draft Chase Young to start the season in a more competitive place.

But as usual a decision of Snyder’s is still overhanging decision making within the franchise.

Rivera agreed to give Haskins a chance and may have done so even if Snyder had not been the driving force behind his selection.

But we really don’t know.

What I do know is based on the very limited offense Turner can run with Haskins, ie no big plays, it was going to be very difficult to win ANY games where the defense didn’t lead the way and gift wrap it.

Dwayne is the 31st ranked QB in the league and most offenses are way ahead of defenses coming out of COVID even with rookies and second year players starting.

Belichick or Parcells would have pulled the plug at this point, at least for now.

Walsh and Reid are/were more patient but they also had better talent to develop and wait on.

Mentioned this before, but I think it bears repeating ... Rivera is trying to build something here. He needs the veterans and "the locker room" buying in, and part of that buying in means players are accountable. If there are whispers (or louder) in the locker room that Dwayne has been hurting/holding back the development of the offense in particular, and the team at large, it's not hard to understand why Ron chose to make this move.

He might not have even needed to hear any such whispers--the man knows what he's trying to instill here, and isn't going to let it get derailed over any one guy.

Are you saying the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?:sunny:

Far be it from me to argue with Spock. :)

• On Fire
Reactions: Om
The preseason scuttlebutt was that Haskins would have no receivers or backs.

But the reality is receivers were open and Dwayne was either off target or slow in making his progressions and defenders closed the gaps.

If I knew nothing about him and you asked me what he looked like I would saw a raw sixth round draft pick that played at a small school program and had a lot of ground to cover to be able to start in the NFL and be a threat to win the game.

The last two games were instructive.

Against the Browns Haskins took more risks and had killer picks.

The next week he threw for 314 yards, mostly between the 20’s and ended with zero touchdowns.

No mistakes at the price of few plus plays.

In today’s game it’s rare to see a 314 yard performance and not see at least one touchdown pass or maybe two.

The yards per pass attempt is dreadful.

Haskins has more of an entourage than Queen Elizabeth.

He has his agent, his ‘sponsor’ Shawn Springs and his former college coach all saying what a great player Dwayne is and how he is being pushed and not supported.

Whew.

If Meyer did a better job developing quarterbacks and not giving them a preset color coded system of plays and formations in place of watching film to read defenses Haskins would be further along.

Springs was a guy that came in on a big contract and spent the last years of his career here with Gibbs but seemingly has nothing but negative things to say about every action that is taken.

Haskins was drafted at #15 and Springs was all happy about that but then said if the team is smart they would not play him at all in 2019.

How many 3-13 teams have the luxury of red-shirting a healthy first round pick?

Why not just come out and say he isn’t ready to play yet at this level given the trained eye and then the pressure could have been put back on Snyder and friends for over drafting.

His agent is a joke. If Dwayne had DeAndre Hopkins and Robert Woods at WR it would still be the team’s fault he wasn’t playing with good anticipation and a knowledge of the system.

Nobody would look at his arm and think he was a sixth round pick.

"We're gonna build this thing the right way" - Rivera

Kind of rings hollow now doesn't it?

Kyle Allen,Alex Smith...they're not the future.

The Oline,LB corps,TE corps and WR corp is a mess.

They have a hybrid RB/WR ,who they said was really a RB, trying to be the starter even though he doesn't know how to play RB in the NFL.

So why the rush?

Fact is, no coach hired here has ever wanted to build "the right way", whether or not they had the permission to do so from ownership.

So now Ron will chase wins because he's under the delusion that the team is ready to compete when it's not. That's going to cost them draft position and a shot at more upper tier talent.

One sickening merry go round that's been in business for the last 30 years.

This happened because Haskins thinks he can revers engineer reasons why his decisions, on the field, are better than what the coaches are asking him to do. That’s it. He explains when he needs to listen.

I love this. I could almost predict it.

After years of Allen signing free agents like Josh Norman and trading for Alex Smith at 36, fans were jumping for joy that we would be keeping our picks and building over with a younger team under Rivera.

So now that we are playing young picks like McLaurin, Gibson, Young, Sweat and others people have now become impatient that a 3-13 team from last year does not ALREADY have enough pieces to go 10-6 and win the East.

Really priceless. Just like Mets fans - there’s always something to grumble about regardless of the circumstances.

Why is there shallow talent at TE and OT and FS?

Because you need more than one 9 player draft to fill the holes on a 53 man roster.

Unless you wanted to give Austin Hooper more money than Tony Gonzalez made in his HOF career in free agency or traded future high picks for Allen Robinson (if available) from Chicago.

How many years has Andy Reid been in KC?

How many before he finally landed his franchise quarterback?

What about those years losing in Round 1 with Alex Smith? That awful loss to Tennessee after having a big lead at home?

Having Kareem Hunt blow up so that he had to be released after a pro bowl season?

Reid came through all of that and won the SB.

Rivera knows this team is not going to win the SB in 2020, but there is no reason it has to lose each week by 14 points because the quarterback can only perform half the offense and doesn’t deliver any out of the box plays like Joe Burrow whose team was even worse than ours in 2019.

I think that I said this in the game chat on week 2 that Kyle was brought here because he knows the offense and is a good QB in the eyes of the ex Panther coaches. We all know as well when a new coach comes that he normally wants his own QB...by draft usually. Yes, we needed a QB, but I was screaming when we picked him at 15 then Carolina picks Brian Burns at 16 who imo is just as good or better than Montez Sweat. Bruce Allen was a bum, Haskins was again imho was drafted by Snyder. The 2nd round was full of much-needed talent that could have been useful. (like LT)

This year's draft could have been our Qb pick. Philly picked up a star in the 2nd round when they drafted Jalen Hurts.

"We're gonna build this thing the right way" - Rivera

Kind of rings hollow now doesn't it?

Kyle Allen,Alex Smith...they're not the future.

The Oline,LB corps,TE corps and WR corp is a mess.

They have a hybrid RB/WR ,who they said was really a RB, trying to be the starter even though he doesn't know how to play RB in the NFL.

So why the rush?

Fact is, no coach hired here has ever wanted to build "the right way", whether or not they had the permission to do so from ownership.

So now Ron will chase wins because he's under the delusion that the team is ready to compete when it's not. That's going to cost them draft position and a shot at more upper tier talent.

One sickening merry go round that's been in business for the last 30 years.

FIrstly - let's stop hanging the last 30 years around Rivera's neck - what possible relevance does it have to him? As far as 'rushing' - if Haskins isn't ready and can't perform at an acceptable level, why should they 'rush' him into the starting role? He's not ready, and to some degree as Rivera stated today, that's not Haskin's fault. The only mistake Rivera has made with Haskins was giving him the chance to start in the first place. Allen and Alex may not be the future - but that doesn't mean Haskins IS. More than likely, our 'future' isn't on this roster. The last person whose fault that is, is Ron Rivera.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.