• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Grossman Trendline Worrisome Coming Out of Bye

From 28 points against the Giants (7 from Kerrigan on D), Washington has produced 22, 16 and 17 points.

Since this thread is about Grossman's trendline. I'd have to argue that the offense scoring 21, 22, 16, 17 points is quite consistant. Esp. if you add in the missed makeable FGs.

It's not particularly inspiring, but it is consistant.

Sacks and 'getting time' aren't the same thing (and he was sacked 7 times combined in the opener and Dallas games). He's getting beat up a lot, like a lot of QBs - we're already seeing missed time from NFL QBs and even season-ending injuries because most O-lines are playing like crap (probably because 'gelling' for O-lines takes time, and there wasn't much of it before this season started).

Grossman has made some boneheaded throws and bad throws, like most QBs do - but not as many as you'd have us believe. And he's completing most of the short passes - he's not tearing it up, but he's close to 60% completion rate which isn't terrible. Since Rex shows little hesitation in throwing risky passes, I doubt our inability to go downfield has much to do with him 'holding onto it too long'. I suspect that most of the time our WRs aren't able to separate on the longer routes and/or there's not good enough protection to give those plays time to develop.

Bottom line - Grossman can play well enough for us to win with the defense we have, but he needs better protection. I think the coaches have said as much.

1) Grossman himself has said on multiple interviews that he has been holding the ball too long. do the timing analysis (count it off in your head) - hell...I can see it just watchng games on TV. I don't know if it's because he doesn't trust the receivers, can't see the field or his internal clock is off. we don't have a SINGLE deep pass through 1/4 of the season. whatever the reasons might be...the QB HAS to be one of them.

2) protection on every team can always get better. It's a meaningless statement. Until I see bonafide analysis on what receivers are doing and what the timing has been...I'm sticking to my main argument which many keep misconstruing: Grossman's physical/talent limitations make a difference in terms of what he can see, the time consumed to execute, his ability to "create" time and space, his ability make good plays better plays (e.g., leading receivers rather than the constant having to turn back or stop)...etc...etc.

3) we can get to the idea later that he had such disdain for the team that...again by his own admission...he showed up for training camp as a fat pig.

4) getting beat up? where are the injury reports to validate this? or is it he can't take a hit?

5) what coach doesn't say "we need better protection"? the protection is better from last season. are you saying not much better?

Rex Grossman is far from being the only problem. but he's definitely part of it. his limitations are, and will, hold this offense back.

Maybe I just see things a tiny bit differently because one thing I rarely see in these dsicussions about Rex is his apparent ability to keep the chains moving. Nobody is going to complete every pass for a TD in this league, but I think we are crushing the time of possession.

He and our offense have done a great job of playing keep away defense. Even with the turnovers, it's not like he's giving the opponents a ton of chances starting deep in Skins territory. People who get so much frustrated by a turnover deep in opponent territory seem to forget all of the converted 3rd downs to get there. So often we could have been forced to punt earlier in the drive at a point where we hope to stop them at the point they now have the ball after the turn over.

Yes, turnovers frequently give field position away, but in the end, aren't they just giving another possession after ending a current one? I think a large part of our Defense looking great is the limited number of time they have spent on the field. Does any of this influence how good or bad Rex's play is perceived?

btw...I'd take Cam Newton over RG in a half a little lamb's heartbeat.

Well duh Captain Obvious! Newton was the #1 overall pick for a reason...he's got huge talent. I don't think you will find anyone that will argue that Rex is more talented than Cam Newton lol.

4) getting beat up? where are the injury reports to validate this? or is it he can't take a hit?

5) what coach doesn't say "we need better protection"? the protection is better from last season. are you saying not much better?

Rex Grossman is far from being the only problem. but he's definitely part of it. his limitations are, and will, hold this offense back.

Don't need injury reports to see that Rex has taken a lot of hits and been hurried quite a bit. Yes the oline is better than last year, but that aint sayin' a whole lot considering how terrible they were most of the time last year.

Olines in general are really struggling this year due to the lack of offseason and less practice in pads this year, which is why Rivers, Brady, Orton, Romo, Big Ben, Cassel, Newton, and Sanchez all have as many or more pics than Rex. Then there's another 9 or 10 guys with 1 less pic than Rex. It's not like Rex is leading the league in pics. There's about 20 guys with 4 to 6 pics so far.

Inconsistent protection, questionable playcalling, and no deep threat with Armstrong out adds up to a recipe for disaster for a QB like Rex. He may not be able to throw it 80 yards, but his physical limitations are near as big of a problem as you continue to claim here. His real problem is consistency and his tendency to be sloppy with the ball under pressure. Give Rex some time and he can take you to the superbowl, as he already did with the Bears.

Don't need injury reports to see that Rex has taken a lot of hits and been hurried quite a bit. Yes the oline is better than last year, but that aint sayin' a whole lot considering how terrible they were most of the time last year.

Homing in on this one paragraph-NFL.com has been keeping OLine stats for a couple seasons now and one stat they record is QB hits allowed. Obviously several factors are involved here including the QB's mobility but as a team-to-team comparison it is useful.

So far this season the Redskins are ranked 24th-going from fewest at #1 to most at #32-in the number of QB hits allowed with 24.

It is interesting that at #23 are the Philadelphia Eagles and Baltimore Ravens tied with 23 hits and at #25 are the Chicago Bears and New York Jets tied with 25 hits.

At #1 with fewest hits allowed, BTW, is the Oakland Raiders with 10 hits and at #32 with the most is the St. Louis Rams with 41(!).

Link:http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2011&seasonType=REG&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&statisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT

Maybe I just see things a tiny bit differently because one thing I rarely see in these dsicussions about Rex is his apparent ability to keep the chains moving. Nobody is going to complete every pass for a TD in this league, but I think we are crushing the time of possession.

Not so in the Cowboys game. The worst part is that we had an overwhelming advantage in time of possession in the first half.

Again against the Rams, although we had a significant advantage of time of possession for the game, in the 4th quarter they had the ball much longer than we did.

Well duh Captain Obvious! Newton was the #1 overall pick for a reason...he's got huge talent. I don't think you will find anyone that will argue that Rex is more talented than Cam Newton lol.

not what what I was responding to professor tag along!

Olines in general are really struggling this year due to the lack of offseason and less practice in pads this year, which is why Rivers, Brady, Orton, Romo, Big Ben, Cassel, Newton, and Sanchez all have as many or more pics than Rex. Then there's another 9 or 10 guys with 1 less pic than Rex. It's not like Rex is leading the league in pics. There's about 20 guys with 4 to 6 pics so far.

Inconsistent protection, questionable playcalling, and no deep threat with Armstrong out adds up to a recipe for disaster for a QB like Rex. He may not be able to throw it 80 yards, but his physical limitations are near as big of a problem as you continue to claim here. His real problem is consistency and his tendency to be sloppy with the ball under pressure. Give Rex some time and he can take you to the superbowl, as he already did with the Bears.

pls....there's nothing quantitative in this. and a lot of assuming. for example, when has Armstrong ever been a consistent deep threat who scared defenses? are you really pushing the idea that we have no deep game because Armstrong is out? what was he doing then through the preseason and the first games when we had no deep threat - taking 60 minute breathers? or for that matter...are you saying he was a consistent deep threat last season?

dude..you have a hard on for Rex...go for it! I hope he succeeds for the simple reason that I want to enjoy my Sunday nights. that's not gonna keep me from seeing his limitations.

We don't have much of a deep threat with Armstrong, you're right. problem is we have zero deep threat without him. The biggest need on this team is a big time wr that can stretch the field imo.

I don't have a hard on for Rex(yuck), I just don't think he's as bad as you do, and I have to admit I find his crazy highs and lows entertaining. I can understand why he makes other fans crazy though.

When I saw the title I thought the trendline after the bye you were referring to was Grossman's record after the bye.

For the record he is 3-0 after a bye in seasons where he's played before and after the bye.

We don't have much of a deep threat with Armstrong, you're right. problem is we have zero deep threat without him. The biggest need on this team is a big time wr that can stretch the field imo.

I don't have a hard on for Rex(yuck), I just don't think he's as bad as you do, and I have to admit I find his crazy highs and lows entertaining. I can understand why he makes other fans crazy though.

dude...you know we're always good in Skins land! Rex isn't as bad as my scope locked posts suggest. I just see the limits and and it frustrates me!

You're exactly right about the receiving corps. very strange if you think about it - how many receivers did Shanahan bring to camp this year?!!!! I can't tell from TV what the heck the problem is. still.....with this running game...I persist in believing this offense could work 21-24 points a game without having to have a passing game like the Pats. if the middle of the d-line holds up....this defense can work a lotta wins with that! perhaps it's time for Shanahan to really exploit these two and three TE sets.

anywho...who gives a rat's patout about any of this as long as we're winning? it's been a long, long time since this team inspired legitimate belief. it's nice going into games thinking "we have a chance" rather than "hope we don't screw up again".

anywho...who gives a rat's patout about any of this as long as we're winning? it's been a long, long time since this team inspired legitimate belief. it's nice going into games thinking "we have a chance" rather than "hope we don't screw up again".

You nailed it fansince, my feelings exactly. :claps:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.