• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Grossman on PTI

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Sexy Rexy on PTI this evening.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cela5c3cc8g[/media]

Last edited:
I'm not going to apologize for it. I like Rex. Nice job.

Yeah, I thought he did well, very poised, confident yet humble and circumspect.

I was wondering why we chose McNabb last year, giving up a 2nd and 4th to get him. I thought we could just have easily gone with Rex. Then in the off-season, I believed Rex would end up as the starter on day 1. He has shown is capable. In fact, yesterday he had a very good game. He made some great throws and he did look poised a lot of the time in the pocket.

With that said, he made some bad plays Sunday that need to be remembered. He over threw Moss on a sure TD, he held onto the ball a little longer than he should have a couple of times, I am not sure he ever scrambled out of the pocket during the whole game, he nearly got Armstrong and Davis decapitated on a couple of poor throws over the middle where he led them into the oncoming defender and his throw to Gaffney for a nice gain on the edge could have been a TD had he hit Gaffney in stride, instead he under threw him making Gaffney wait for the ball to catch up. Those throws concern me!

I still want him as our starter. I really want Rex to be our QB for at least 3 more seasons providing us with quality play. I like Rex too, even if fansince doesn't. :laugh:

wow..circumspect. thats a whole new word to me. well played.

as for rex, I agree with you guys. I think we could see a new Rex that is poised and confident yet not arrogant. But I want to see what he does after a loss.

One minor quibble, Mike. I want to see what Rex does DURING a loss.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I don't know if he 'scrambled', but he showed pocket presence - at least twice he moved out of the pocket when it looked like he was in big trouble and completed passes. I agree on some of the high throws (although he also handled multiple high snaps that could easily have been mishandled - which can't help accuracy). I'd say the sacks are preferable to forcing throws and risking INTs, but yeah, those aren't your only two options either. And he did miss a shot or two. Still. Hard to quibble with his stats.

Can he keep replicating that performance - dunno. We're going to find out. It would be nice if we showed an effective running game so he didn't have to do it all himself.

Can he keep replicating that performance - dunno. We're going to find out. It would be nice if we showed an effective running game so he didn't have to do it all himself.

I am never satisfied, so...

In all seriousness, I like a lot of what I saw yesterday. And you mentioned something I over looked, pocket presence; he showed incredible pocket presence on some plays and not so much on others. He did throw it away a couple of times when there was nothing there. He is making quick, snap decisions and has been pretty good about it.

The only thing that really concerns me is the inaccuracy on the deep throws. He has yet to hit a receiver in stride, but I was watching Jason Campbell last night. Well...

One minor quibble, Mike. I want to see what Rex does DURING a loss.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

G. we do have some information on how Grossman plays, under the Shanahans' system when winning as opposed to when losing-last season.

Granted the sample is small but the stat folks at ESPN sports did their usual breakdown of situational stats on Rex and the results were somewhat surprising.

In the four games he played last season these are the stats:

When winning: 11 for 25, 44% completion rate, 4.32 yards gained per pass attempt, QB rating of 53.4

When losing: 52 of 88, 59% completion rate, 7.73 yards gained per pass attempt, QB rating of 92.0

Yeah, that last QB rating surprised me too. I'm not going to post the figures but during his time in Chicago, he tended to do noticeably better when ahead than when behind-I'll post the link to the ESPN stat page if anyone wants to look-there's a lot of interesting info there.

BTW, ESPN has already done the breakdown on the Giants game and the results were:

When winning: 8 of 13-119 yards, 61.5 completion rate, 9.15 yards gained per pas attempt, QB rating of 117.1.

When losing: 12 of 15-180 yards, 80% completion rate, 12.0 yards gained per pas attempt, QB rating of 138.9.

One odd thing, during the brief time the game was tied his perormance had a glitch-he was 1 of 6 for only 6 yards, 16.7% completion rate, 1 yard gained per pas attempt, QB rating of 39.6.

I'm not sure what caused that to happen. Fortunately Kerrigan decided to demonstrate why drafting him was a Good Idea and things rolled from there. :)

All in all, though, a very good game for Rex.

Link to ESPN Grossman stats page: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/4480/rex-grossman

Oh, one more thing.

I won't fall for this bait!!!

My compliments, sir, on your restraint although the temptation must have been fierce :)

Now THAT is interesting, and not what I would have expected, Serv. Thank you a ton for posting that, awesome breakdown. I guess it just goes to show that I need to continue to reevaluate Grossman, who may indeed be a new QB in this system and junction of his career, small sample size acknowledged.

servumtum, didn't Rex start at least 0-4? That would be a huge part of the 1-6 with score tied. in the begining our game plan failed. He missed a deep throw in that mix, and I think there was a "drop" over the middle where he put the Wr in postition to get killed, and the WR coudln't hold on after the hit.

nice stats Serv!

actually encouraging. rex focuses more when behind. the preference is to jump to early leads and sustain them...that said....it'll be interesting to watch how he handles a game in which we fall behind early by 14 points or more.

Here are some more Grossman stats courtesy of Rich Campbell:

Rex vs 4 or fewer NYG pass rushers: 15-of-22, 221 yds, 1 TD, 1 sack.
Rex vs the blitz: 6-of-12, 84 yds, 3 sacks, 1 fumble, 1 TD

I think we'll see a LOT of blitzes from the Cardinals; if Rex can adjust and get off quick-passes, Santana & Gaffney should have HUGE days on the quick slant. If he can't, it might get ugly.

One thing that's stuck in my craw since Kyle S. took over playcalling here is his apparent disdain for the screen to beat the blitz. At least 3-4 times a game we see the perfect setup for it---3rd and 8, stacked front, etc.---and he still has his QB drop 5 or 7 steps and set up to throw downfield. I would LOVE to see us every once in a while have the same "oh ****" screen called against the blitz that we see other teams do against us week in and week out.

Minor quibble in an otherwise pretty cool week though. :)

One thing that's stuck in my craw since Kyle S. took over playcalling here is his apparent disdain for the screen to beat the blitz. At least 3-4 times a game we see the perfect setup for it---3rd and 8, stacked front, etc.---and he still has his QB drop 5 or 7 steps and set up to throw downfield. I would LOVE to see us every once in a while have the same "oh ****" screen called against the blitz that we see other teams do against us week in and week out.

Minor quibble in an otherwise pretty cool week though. :)

I thought there was at least once we tried to set up the screen, but the blitz came too fast. I might be wrong though; I'd have to go back and review the game.

Here are some more Grossman stats courtesy of Rich Campbell:

Rex vs 4 or fewer NYG pass rushers: 15-of-22, 221 yds, 1 TD, 1 sack.
Rex vs the blitz: 6-of-12, 84 yds, 3 sacks, 1 fumble, 1 TD

I think we'll see a LOT of blitzes from the Cardinals; if Rex can adjust and get off quick-passes, Santana & Gaffney should have HUGE days on the quick slant. If he can't, it might get ugly.

This is why it is vital that we continue to stick with the run even if it doesn't get us a ton of yards. Last week with Hightower getting stuffed repeatedly early on I was afraid that we would abandon the run and put the game in Grossman's hands (I'm guessing that was NY's plan) but we kept a nice run/pass balance, which kept the pressure off the passing game.

We have to keep doing that. Rather than hoping Rex suddenly learns to cope with blitzes, we should plan on jamming the ball down AZ's throat.

This is why it is vital that we continue to stick with the run even if it doesn't get us a ton of yards. Last week with Hightower getting stuffed repeatedly early on I was afraid that we would abandon the run and put the game in Grossman's hands (I'm guessing that was NY's plan) but we kept a nice run/pass balance, which kept the pressure off the passing game.

We have to keep doing that. Rather than hoping Rex suddenly learns to cope with blitzes, we should plan on jamming the ball down AZ's throat.

Agree, but Arizona did a fantastic job shutting down DeAngelo Williams & Jonathan Stewart. Hopefully they have more trouble with the ZBS & Hightower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.