• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Grossman Needs To Go

I get that John, but he did win a National Championship in 2007. After sitting behind JaMarcus Russell for his first three seasons he came in to win it all for LSU in his senior year.

That is why I keep saying keep Rex, draft a QB and sign Flynn. Let Flynn and Rex fight it out to start and keep the rook on the sidelines for at least a season or 2 giving them a full opportunity to mature. Maybe we get into a situation that the Chargers found themselves years back with Brees and Rivers.

Edit: I guess I just feel more comfortable with a QB who has been in the league a few years than I do with some 50/50 college star who has never seen an NFL defense.

And let me ask you, would you rather have Andy Dalton/Matthew Stafford or a Cam Newton/Tim Tebow?

Last edited:
The problem with Flynn is exactly that he played one game. Often, Qbs look good that first game when the defensive coordinator hasn't had time to game plan for what they do well and what they do poorly. Remember Beck, subbing for Grossman earlier this year and looking good for that half? Remember Jay Fielder? It can happen... the guy can become a Trent Green, but often that one game is a mirage. You need more info esp. if you are going to go for the big vet contract and hitch your wagon to the guy.

and if we draft a QB...we're not hitching our wagon. why would a vet who wants to start come here?

and if we draft a QB...we're not hitching our wagon. why would a vet who wants to start come here?

Sure we are, but there's a difference between drafting and recruiting... few teams if they can help it will ever let go of a superstar qb... the 49ers kept Young even when they had Montana. The Packers never traded Rogers even though they had Farve.

These days, if you have to do it there's almost always a trade involved. See Kolb, Kassel, etc.

If you can help it you just don't do it. So, in getting a vet your getting a known unkonwn. I'd rather get a pure unknown, but the best of the lot that I can get in the draft rather than the best on the free agent market.

Afterall, free agents like Brad Johnson did win a Superbowl, but it wasn't because of him.

Basically, your asking yourself when choosing your wagon, do you want to go shopping in the used car lot or the new car lot. You can get a lemon both ways or you can get a great ride, but you have to make that choice.

not the point I was making.

if we draft a QB to be "the guy"...why would a backup who wants to be "the guy" come here? he won't. he'll go to some team offering the big bucks + "be our long-term guy".

so...to make this work....you have to sign the young, promising 2nd team QB who really hasn't done anything in the NFL yet...before the draft. in which case...the team is tipping its hand that it most likely is not in the hunt for one of the top 2-3 guys. I personally don't think much of the back-up QB strategy. It has worked in the past....but more the exception than the rule in my book. and I don't see many quality backups around he league...if any.

Oh, well that I agree with.

It could also be considered hedging your bets. We get an unproven rookie that Shanny thinks fits our system in free agency but then we turn around a draft a guy then certainly one those guys would be good enough for us to win with.

my guess is we draft QB and keep Rex cuz "he knows the system".

Because a vet who wants to start will have that opportunity regardless if a rookie is brought in any way. Where else is a QB like Flynn going to go to start, those teams that need a QB like we do?

One thing to keep in mind is that free agency is before the draft. We can sign a free agent QB, and that guy will have no idea what we are going to do in the draft.

And that's it Mike, competition for the starting job. I don't believe anyone is going to give Matt Flynn a blank check, or at least I don't think they should, but bringing him in with a rookie and Rex to compete will offer us the best chance at getting the best out of whomever starts for us.

Edit: And concealing our intentions to a Free Agent is not something I feel would be wise or fair to the individual FA.

And that's it Mike, competition for the starting job. I don't believe anyone is going to give Matt Flynn a blank check, or at least I don't think they should, but bringing him in with a rookie and Rex to compete will offer us the best chance at getting the best out of whomever starts for us.

Edit: And concealing our intentions to a Free Agent is not something I feel would be wise or fair to the individual FA.

that's not the only criterion El.

what matters a lot in all of this is the economics. who in his right mind pays top dollar for a vet QB if you draft the future (at top dollar)? you don't. you sign a placeholder. the top back-ups tend to sign early - and they (and the teams who might own their contracts) are looking for substantial compensation. the second tier/in it for a year types sign later on after the top prospects have been gobbled up.

rex will be a FA next year who no one wants. he "knows the system" and will come cheap. this seems a more likely outcome to me. I only see us going out of pocket for a journeyman type QB (say KC lets Orton go) who won't be in anyone's long-run plans.

Right now....I'm not seeing any backups receiving attention like the Philly QB did last year. Flynn hasn't done anything in years...you wanna pay top dollar for him?

One thing to keep in mind is that free agency is before the draft. We can sign a free agent QB, and that guy will have no idea what we are going to do in the draft.

maybe.....then again...common sense may dictate what has to be done.

the problem I have with this whole scenario is that I don't see any backup QBs worth paying big bucks for. I can see Rex or a journeyman we know is not going to stick around for the long-haul. maybe a one year Hasselback deal.

Flynn when given the chance looked great against a great defence , in preseason (which means little) has also looked very good. I honestly think signing him is the way to go or giving the rams a second rounder for Bradford (but no more) either one would rerquire us to be creative but it could be done easily. Mike is right we need competition, handing a starters job just makes guys complacent.

I was certainly not suggesting dishonesty. But if a Barkley or RGIII falls to us even if we signed Flynn then that is the best player available strategy.

I personally think the QB completion in DC next year will be Rex vs our new rookie QB.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Grossman needs to go because he turns the ball over more than any other qb in the NFL.

That flaw trumps knowledge of the system and work ethic.

He's simply a guy who works hard and prepares but can't deliver on the big stage consistently.

Remember the 1983 Redskins that went 14-2? That team was a plus 43 in turnover ratio at the end of the regular season.

Rule #1 is don't give the opponent a short field.

As long as Rex is here the club will be a minus 13 or 16 like they are now.

And other than the Buffalo game, turnovers were a big part of the plot line in the losses in 2011.

If you are going to draft and develop a qb let him learn from someone who exhibits the positives, good mechanics and a recognition of the importance of ball security.

I can safely say I'm no Rex fan. I just don't see the Shanallen bringing in a vet who does not know the system only to punt mid-way to 2/3rds of the way thru the season. it's possible....and has been done....but I don't think the money situation supports it. I just don't think you take a 4 or 5 draft pick "franchise" QB and sit him. he is going to be the starter sometime down the road...these days usually during the first season. I don't see Shanahan waiting until year 4 in his contract to start a rookie QB.

I think they keep Rex or go with a slightly improved version of Rex....or some convenient scenario: david garrad wants to prove himself and is willing to play just a year to up his market value. I don't see a Flynn coming to DC.

it'll be fun to see how it plays out!

that's not the only criterion El.

what matters a lot in all of this is the economics. who in his right mind pays top dollar for a vet QB if you draft the future (at top dollar)? you don't. you sign a placeholder.

And I think that is an advantage we may have with Flynn. No one is going to sign him to a huge contract and likely nothing more than 3 years, if that. He will be coveted, but he will not get top dollar.

And for the very reason you mention, Rex would come cheap as a QB to push Flynn for the starting job. Sign him late as possible like last year. And of course draft a rookie. But I am not one of those who believes this year's top ranked QB's are the best class coming out, ever. I think we could pick up a QB like Tannehill early second, maybe a trade up late in the 1st and snag him. I am leery of turning over the reigns to any rookie. We have never had any success giving any rookie QB the reigns here in Washington so bring in someone as talented as Tannehill and let him sit under a player like Flynn for a few years if it takes that long for him to develop.

We won't get Luck! RGIII looks like a very exciting QB in "college", not sure I am sold. Landry's stock has dropped as this season has worn on and looked terrible against OSU. Barkely looks like the prototype, but there are questions. Not to mention, he's a California boy. How long would he stay on the East Coast?

You talk about economics, while it will be cheaper to pay the top draft picks than years before, how smart is it to gamble on a QB that will cost so much this early? The economics will dictate the kid's development. Cost analysis would suggest a late 1st or early 2nd would be a better fiscal choice.

If you are going to draft and develop a qb let him learn from someone who exhibits the positives, good mechanics and a recognition of the importance of ball security.

Who would be your choice? Hasselback? Orton if KC doesn't keep him? Vince Young? McCrapp? Shaun Hill? Chad Henne?

Here's a list of available QB's: http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

And I think that is an advantage we may have with Flynn. No one is going to sign him to a huge contract and likely nothing more than 3 years, if that. He will be coveted, but he will not get top dollar.

And for the very reason you mention, Rex would come cheap as a QB to push Flynn for the starting job. Sign him late as possible like last year. And of course draft a rookie. But I am not one of those who believes this year's top ranked QB's are the best class coming out, ever. I think we could pick up a QB like Tannehill early second, maybe a trade up late in the 1st and snag him. I am leery of turning over the reigns to any rookie. We have never had any success giving any rookie QB the reigns here in Washington so bring in someone as talented as Tannehill and let him sit under a player like Flynn for a few years if it takes that long for him to develop.

I would have no problem with this outcome. I've watched Tannehill play quiet a bit this season, and while he is raw I think he has all the skills to be a very good QB in the NFL. I wouldn't even dream of playing him in 2012. He is way to raw but with Flynn there you could let Tannehill develop. Plus we would have what looks to be a top 5 pick that we can spend on a superstar. Clayborne the CB, WR Justin Blackmon or maybe we take the LT from USC if Trent Williams is going to continue being a knucklehead.

Of course Wikipedia.com says that Tannehill wants to be an orthapedic surgeon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Tannehill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.