• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Grossman Needs To Go

I understand completely, and we've seen it before.

My point is I don't think Shanny will draft a QB.

I think it greatly depends on how the draft shakes out. If there is a guy we really, really like, but he won't be there when we draft, Shanny will inquire what the cost of moving up would be. If the cost is prohibitive and/or would damage the rest of our draft, I doubt he will do it. If it is reasonable, he will.

There are a lot of variables in the draft, lots of teams trading up and down. He probably won't know for sure what he will do until that day.

If Rex Grossman is resigned and on this team next year I may swandive through some drywall.

Sign Henne if you want a vet to hold it down for a rookie. Or even the untested Josh Johnson. But please... I beg you, Washington Redskins, who aren't going to read this, or care about my opinion... No Rex Grossman.

Rex Grossman will be the starter, week 1 of next season, barring injury.

Beck's #2 spot will be occupied by Crompton.

A rookie QB, drafted between the 2nd and 4th rounds will begin his apprenticeship. This will result in an internet planned march, pitchforks in hand, to Ashburn to demand the firing of Coach Shanny for not drafting a QB with the #1 pick. The rally will be organized on numerous fan sites in an effort to show the team just how many fans are "done" with the team.

All 13 of them will be arrested.

other fans will countermarch screaming how happy they are with 6-10/8-8. These fans will complain that the QB should have been drafted in the 7th round as there is no greater probability of finding "the guy" in higher rounds. these fans will wank and moan every day of the week about how stupidly the team is run and demand that players be kicked off the roster.....and then proclaim their true fandom from the rafters for all to hear and admire!!!!

:love:

other fans will countermarch screaming how happy they are with 6-10/8-8. These fans will complain that the QB should have been drafted in the 7th round as there is no greater probability of finding "the guy" in higher rounds. these fans will wank and moan every day of the week about how stupidly the team is run and demand that players be kicked off the roster.....and then proclaim their true fandom from the rafters for all to hear and admire!!!!

:love:
So, between the two marches, all the dolts within the fanbase will be accounted for.

The rest of us, grounded in reality, will hope to the Football Gods that we find our savior QB, O-linemen, CB's, LB's, etc.., not giving a damn how or where they are drafted, since the theory of great players coming from one slot over another, is buried under the reality of history. And that winning, is always better than losing.

We will march, not.

:grouphug:

So, between the two marches, all the dolts within the fanbase will be accounted for.

The rest of us, grounded in reality, will hope to the Football Gods that we find our savior QB, O-linemen, CB's, LB's, etc.., not giving a damn how or where they are drafted, since the theory of great players coming from one slot over another, is buried under the reality of history. And that winning, is always better than losing.

We will march, not.

:grouphug:

dude...it's not binary.

it's about probabilities, control and negotiated value. and some luck...no doubt. there has to be a strategy. "draft lower" is not a strategy....any more than "draft for quantity" is.

rooting for/against the home team is not a strategy either.

dude...it's not binary.

it's about probabilities, control and negotiated value. and some luck...no doubt. there has to be a strategy. "draft lower" is not a strategy....any more than "draft for quantity" is.

rooting for/against the home team is not a strategy either.
Yeah, it ain't that deep either. Just a bit of humor;)

No one ever said, "draft lower" was a strategy. Draft better, is. Probabilities, control, and negotiated value come into play for every pick.

More, in theory, should always mean, better. We know it does not.

As I believe you have stated, where someone goes, to what system, coached by whom, and surrounded by what, is infinitely more important than whether someone is picked 1, 4, or 12.

Value, can only be accurately assessed, years AFTER each draft.

And luck, plays a far greater role than most want to believe.

oh yea?! well...snigglefritz my man!!!

love your attitude...I'll leave it at that!

I think it greatly depends on how the draft shakes out. If there is a guy we really, really like, but he won't be there when we draft, Shanny will inquire what the cost of moving up would be. If the cost is prohibitive and/or would damage the rest of our draft, I doubt he will do it. If it is reasonable, he will.

There are a lot of variables in the draft, lots of teams trading up and down. He probably won't know for sure what he will do until that day.

Normally I would agree completely with you here. Again, the problem is Shanny himself. If he strongly feels Rex can get it done, he could easily pass on a qb sitting there when we pick, and go for someone he feels fills another need.

The variable is Shanahan.

All due respect, I'm not sure how anyone can believe Grossman will ever start again for the Redskins after this season? How many INTs are we up to this year? We'll draft a QB - or two things will happen, attendance will make this year's 'sellouts' look like New England at home, and the fanbase will absolutely revolt.

We'll be in year 3 of the Shanahan experiment, and I don't care what his damn pedigree is, we don't get someone under center with the potential to be a legitimate threat, Shanahan isn't untouchable. Snyder isn't going to passively observe a third straight season of 6 wins or less and stand still. Nor should he.

We'll take a QB. And we won't take long to do it. I'd say about as long as it takes our turn in the first round.

Last edited:
And I think it's amusing that we no longer have the energy to rip the team, the owner, or the front office. We're even bored with blaming former coaches, former players, ex-QBs and Vinny Cerrato. We're out of ammo on that front. So now we have to invent some philosophical divide in the fanbase itself.

We're the NFL equivalent of the ****ing Donner Party. And we just finished the last can of beans.

I think Grossman is gone too. I see a veteran signed and a rookie drafted. Grossman and Beck are out the door. To be honest, I am not so sure either one of them will be in the league next year.

All due respect, I'm not sure how anyone can believe Grossman will ever start again for the Redskins after this season? How many INTs are we up to this year? We'll draft a QB - or two things will happen, attendance will make this year's 'sellouts' look like New England at home, and the fanbase will absolutely revolt.

We'll be in year 3 of the Shanahan experiment, and I don't care what his damn pedigree is, we don't get someone under center with the potential to be a legitimate threat, Shanahan isn't untouchable. Snyder isn't going to passively observe a third straight season of 6 wins or less and stand still. Nor should he.

We'll take a QB. And we won't take long to do it. I'd say about as long as it takes our turn in the first round.

Keep in mind that Shanahan stuck with Brian Griese for 4 seasons...yuck.

:claps: Don't take a QB, and this organization is officially the Baltimore Orioles. Fans will riot, and rightfully so.

And I think it's amusing that we no longer have the energy to rip the team, the owner, or the front office. We're even bored with blaming former coaches, former players, ex-QBs and Vinny Cerrato. We're out of ammo on that front. So now we have to invent some philosophical divide in the fanbase itself.

We're the NFL equivalent of the ****ing Donner Party. And we just finished the last can of beans.

:rotflmao: It's not that bad.....at least not on this site.

the only way I can see us not drafting a QB is if we sign Flynn, and then go all Oline. to be honest, I wouldnt be too upset with that.

Not sure why you and I seem to be the only vocal proponents of this scenario. I still want them to draft a QB, but why not bring in Flynn too? He will want some money, but no one is going to sign him to huge money, or at least they shouldn't.

because too many people are buying into the "must sign young qb" and its rather funny because some of them were the same one arguing with me about how I wasnt looking big picture when we switched defences lol If all this crap is gonna mean anything we need to let Shannahan mold the team and make the decisions whether we like them or not. hopefully he makes the right ones.

What exactly has Flynn shown that makes you believe that he's an NFL caliber QB? I'm not trying to be a smart ass here. If you guys are seeing something I'm not please point it out. Here are his career stats, with most of his action coming last season with a team that won the Super Bowl:

Comp Att Pct. Yards Avg TD INT Sacks
51 86 59.3 535 6.2 3 4 8

(sorry I couldn't get the #s to line up right)

Some have suggested bringing Flynn in and drafting a QB as well. If I were Flynn why would I go into a situation like that? To play 4 games till the new guy is ready, or looking over your shoulder constantly until the first rough patch where a restless fan base and media call to put in the rookie. I wouldn't go for that if I had other options.

No, if you bring in Flynn you have to commit to the guy a little more completely than that. I think I'd rather take a chance on one of the top rookies.

No question Grossman needs to be on the first train out of town after the season. Unfortunately he's currently our best option.

What exactly has Flynn shown that makes you believe that he's an NFL caliber QB? I'm not trying to be a smart ass here. If you guys are seeing something I'm not please point it out. Here are his career stats, with most of his action coming last season with a team that won the Super Bowl:

Comp Att Pct. Yards Avg TD INT Sacks
51 86 59.3 535 6.2 3 4 8

(sorry I couldn't get the #s to line up right)

Some have suggested bringing Flynn in and drafting a QB as well. If I were Flynn why would I go into a situation like that? To play 4 games till the new guy is ready, or looking over your shoulder constantly until the first rough patch where a restless fan base and media call to put in the rookie. I wouldn't go for that if I had other options.

No, if you bring in Flynn you have to commit to the guy a little more completely than that. I think I'd rather take a chance on one of the top rookies.

No question Grossman needs to be on the first train out of town after the season. Unfortunately he's currently our best option.

Last year when Aaron Rodgers went down against the Pats, Flynn came in with a depleted O-Line and nearly won the game going tit for tat with Tom Brady. He rose to the occasion. He was quick on his feet avoiding the rush, his release was very quick, his decision making was decisive under pressure and he stood tall against the Super Bowl favorites. He looked very solid. I know it was only one game, but it was prime time against, arguably, the best team in the league last year at that point.

Also, he has had a few seasons now to sit behind one of the very best in the game. That holds value. What I have seen is a very solid QB who will likely be a starter in the NFL next year. He reminds me of Matt Schaub.

Not sure any team will guarantee him anything. I think if Shanahan is honest and tells him he has an opportunity to earn the starting position he could bite. The kid is going to be looking for a chance to start. Regardless if a rookie is drafted he will get that chance here.

Everyone acknowledges we need a veteran other than Beck and Grossman. Well, here's the chance to bring in a potentially solid vet.

As for your wish for a rookie over Flynn, I don't buy that's an either/or situation. We won't get Luck. Landry? I hope not, he has not looked very solid as of late. Barkely? I am not sure the kid has lived up to his potential, but he is playing under Lane Kiffin, so he might have more upside. RGIII? A lot of people are sold on him here, but has he really earned the opportunity to be named the starter after he is drafted? I still think he runs too much. He is exciting and seems to have a solid head on his shoulders, but he still reminds me of a running back at the QB position. That's fine in College, but I am not sold he's a starting NFL QB coming directly out of college.

I would be very happy to see a player like Tanehill come in and ride the bench for a couple/few seasons behind Flynn and Rex for at least one more season. Like it or not, Rex should be brought back to have at least a veteran with experience in this system for depth.

Last year when Aaron Rodgers went down against the Pats, Flynn came in with a depleted O-Line and nearly won the game going tit for tat with Tom Brady. He rose to the occasion. He was quick on his feet avoiding the rush, his release was very quick, his decision making was decisive under pressure and he stood tall against the Super Bowl favorites. He looked very solid. I know it was only one game, but it was prime time against, arguably, the best team in the league last year at that point.

Also, he has had a few seasons now to sit behind one of the very best in the game. That holds value. What I have seen is a very solid QB who will likely be a starter in the NFL next year. He reminds me of Matt Schaub.

The problem is Brian, if you're going to bring in a 'vet' you actually need a vet. Nothing against Flynn - but we're going to base bringing him in as a 'vet' on ONE game? The league's benches are full of pretty bad QBs who've occasionally played well in a single game. I'm not saying Flynn is a loser. But the only thing keeping us from saying there's ZERO evidence he's a solid NFL QB is that one game.

I get the skepticism regarding QBs available in the draft - but you have to put it into context. Flynn was a 7th rounder from Louisiana State who had a very average career there. A 56% college career passing percentage (and we're talking college here, not the NFL). He didn't do jack **** until his senior year and even then, was only the 6th rated passer that year in his own conference.

So not only is there little evidence during his NFL career (beyond one decent game) that he's anything but a clip board holder, there's not even a whole lot of evidence to be gleaned from his college career. In his dreams, he never had a year close to the top 5 QBs in the current draft.

I don't know what Shanahan plans to do, but if we keep Beck or Grossman, it means we're going to draft a young stud QB, and he'll either start the season or it won't be long before we bring him in. I think the reason we kept Grossman and Beck isn't because of some delusional miscalculation as to their talent levels, but because Shanahan and Allen are going to grab their guy in the next draft and he'll be behind center quicker than any of us imagine. If we felt like we needed a 'vet' to bring a youngster along slowly, my guess is, we'd have picked up a guy like Orton.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.