• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Grammar Nazi Thread

I had a friend who said "intensive purposes"

I asked him to explain what that meant. It was fun listening to him try to work it out.

My favorite one is number 6: "Suppository of information." Must be when someone has their head up their butt! :)

I always say on accident and could care less, and I know better :(
I say peaked my interest, irregardless, jibe, less than/fewer, spitting image, one in the same

I always catch people on the doing good/well one. I even try to help them out when they ask me first by replying, I'm doing well. Then I ask and they say doing good. You don't do good... :wall:

If I ask first and they saying doing good, then they ask me, I have to pause for a second and think... do I want to answer correctly and possibly sound like a pretentious douchebag (if the person understands the difference between the two responses,) or do I want to say something I know is incorrect....

I find this so funny. Much of that can be subject to regional dialects. Me, I could care less if somebody mispronounces something. If what there trying to convey is understood, what does it really matter.

They left out the improper use of (it happens here, a lot!) then/than.

A huge one that I hear used almost every day that somehow didn't make the list........for now on, rather than from now on. Grates my nerves, and people say it all the time. I also can't stand when people say all the sudden, instead of all of a sudden. It's another one you hear constantly, and that didn't make the list either. What gives?

The one that drives me crazy, and it seems like every poster on every football site I've ever been does it, is improper tense on the word 'bias.'

Examples: "You are so bias towards that player." "I know I am bias, but I think Patrick Ramsey was the best QB of all time."

:redpunch: :mad: :soapbox:

You can have a bias towards/against a player or team, or you can be biased towards/against a player or team. You certainly cannot be 'bias,' but you can be biased.

Ex, I've never seen either of those!

Your bias is biased!

Ex, I've never seen either of those!
I've never seen either of those either, but I hear them all the time. My ears are sensitive to incorrect wording or something though, because once someone says it, nothing else they say from that point forward matters or carries any relevance :laugh:

My dad puts R's where they don't belong.

Idear
Warsher machine

Drives me nuts.

I've never seen either of those either, but I hear them all the time. My ears are sensitive to incorrect wording or something though, because once someone says it, nothing else they say from that point forward matters or carries any relevance :laugh:

Ha! I meant on a message board. Generally I don't notice nearly as much in conversation with someone. Plus I'm stuck around so many native Texans & Louisianians that I hear all sorts of bad grammar and it just doesn't phase me anymore. :)

My dad puts R's where they don't belong.

Idear
Warsher machine

Drives me nuts.

I was surprised to see this on the list - I just thought that was an Eastern shore accent thing. You don't hear it much in Warshington, DC, but go to the shooore hun, and you'll hear it all day.

A huge one that I hear used almost every day that somehow didn't make the list........for now on, rather than from now on. Grates my nerves, and people say it all the time. I also can't stand when people say all the sudden, instead of all of a sudden. It's another one you hear constantly, and that didn't make the list either. What gives?
Reminds me of the episode of Family Guy where Stewie goes off about this, and mentions it specifically. And I agree.

Some I heard a ton as a kid........

Out of balance/Out of bounce (instead of out of bounds). You must be death (instead of you must be deaf).

It irritated me so damn bad even then that I quit hanging out with kids who refused to correct their wrongness :laugh:

Out of bounce always cracks me up.

The player has no more bounce when he crosses the white line :(

Another one I've seen around here is 'later' confused with 'latter.'

I've been playing baseball and football since my youth, the latter is my favorite. -correct

I've been playing baseball and football since my youth, the later is my favorite. -makes zero sense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.