• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Grade Our 2012 Draft

all 32 teams ALL had other priorities than OT? :)

remember all the trades made to move up as teams saw guys fall they had rated higher on their boards? it was a continuing theme of the draft and how the Redskins picked up additional selections.

no, I think this was a case where his grade was inflated on the pre-draft evals by the Kipers and McShays and the NFL people that looked at him thought he was simply an average prospect, not worthy of a Day 1 or Day 2 pick.

same logic mistake. they may have had other priorities.

Tough to say it's a mistake in logic when 6 tackles ranked lower (using the CNN/SI ranking list) were picked ahead of him. Seems the rankings are more of an issue than the logic. Now if no teams had picked tackles at all then you might have something.

Strange how everyone is down on Kiper. The guy has been doing this his whole life. He's basically a scout who watches a ton of film because he has so much at his disposal. He's paid to grade these guys and do these mocks but so are the scouts for the 32 teams. Do you think they all agree on the same players?

Sorry, but I've always liked Mel because he was the first TV draft pundit way back in the early days of ESPN. I respect his opinions. Blame ESPN for the dog & pony show that the draft became to be although I do like the competition between Mel & McShay because it gives this whole thing an edge.

OK.....rant off.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. Scouts have training and get hired for a reason beyond a few rating boards they come up with through statistical analysis. Kiper has had none and still does his job from the basement of his house. He's incredibly obnoxious and rude, he lacks professionalism and as was evidenced by Tobin's comments in his PC evidently seen with contempt by many of the league's executives who do this for a living. Kiper has been doing no more than many fans on these boards that I've gotten to know over the years and given his lack of team insight and inside sources he tends to miss the mark dramatically a lot more often than some of these fans do.

I also don't think you can overstate how big of a deal it is that he's had absolutely zero practical experience on any level with football. He's a stat junky with a loud mouth who plays well to a camera, nothing more. I think it's a disservice to guys like Mayock to compare them to Kiper. Kiper is a glorified fan who is treated like an intellectual giant by many media outlets.

One component of the difficulty of judging "did so-and-so get picked at the right spot and by the right team" struck me in this draft, the draft itself presents a volatile, fluid environment-this one unusually so. Selections were bouncing around everywhere and pick trades were omnipresent-some trades seemed to be almost panicky-making a situation of a high level of unpredictability for those in the draft war rooms and everybody watching which makes retrospective evaluation of anybody's estimates of where a player "should have gone" very difficult if not well nigh impossible.

With RGIII - B+
Without RGIII - D-

The Guard we took in the third round might be the worst draft pick in the modern era. Are you kidding me? Come ON, Shanahan! He had a low-round grade. I think the pick of Omar Bolden right before may have thrown them off their game.

Kirk M-Effing Cousins? Our areas of need went approximately like this: secondary, weapons for RG3, Inside Linebacker, OL, beer vendors, ticket takers, Ashburn janitor, parking lot attendants, backup QB. Instantly unseats the previous pick as the worst of the modern era. Not to mention, Cousins isn't a very good pro prospect IMO. Such a wasted draft pick, especially considering Keith Tandy went a couple picks later. ARGH.

Waiting until the 7th round to address the secondary is the other huge head-scratcher for me. WTF? I like the Compton pick, and bringing someone on to the Redskins from FAU is AWESOME (my alma-mater), but I just don't understand waiting so long for DB help.

I find everyone who gets down on the team for selecting Cousins as extremely short sided. We drafted our franchise QB and our backup QB. If you don't think Cousins is an upgrade over Beck you need to have your head examined. Don't give me that B.S. about Compton. He signed a 1-year contract last year and was nothing more than the 3rd QB option in case Grossman and Beck got hit by a truck and couldn't play. They have not even extended Compton a contract offer.

Every successful team in the NFL has 2 starting quality QBs, or as near to a starter as the backup can be. If you have a QB or franchise QB who is backed up by a moron you are SOL when the starting QB goes down. These idiots at the NFL channel and ESPN who said the team now has a QB controversy or that Cousins is a waste of a pick in the 4th round are taking nothing but a short sided view of the team.

Shanahan and Allen have said from day 1 the goal is to get rid of the old, replace with the young and hungry, and have QUALITY BACKUPS WAITING IN THE WINGS. If the team is successful under RG3 and he gets knocked out of the game or for the season, everyone who knows anything knows we have only Grossman to take the reigns and that means a 6-10 or 7-9 season at best unless Cousins earns the backup spot behind RG3. Cousins is an upgrade over Grossman too, period. Maybe not this year, but definitely next year.

As far as the rest of the picks in this draft, they said they would stick to their draft board and select the best player available. That is what they did. Opinions on where a player should get picked are just that - opinions. If all of these experts knew everything they wouldn't be disagreeing so much.

Finally, we were given a C to a D last year as a draft grade for one reason only - we didn't draft a QB. Now, we draft our franchise QB and select his backup and they again grade us low. So, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

with RG3- B, it would have graded higher had we not given away so much to take him, if we see serious improvement on offence this grade jumps to an a, if he is bad as a rookie (as in colt mccoy bad) it drops to a d.

removing Rg3 from the equasion, and its an F, we took a guard who had a low round grade simply because he supposedly fits our scheme, we reached on him when there were legit line prospects still available.

drafting cousins was stupid, but I understand why shanny diod it, this way if rg3 is hurt he has another young guy with upside, but cousins a game manager and our offence needs more than another JOhn beck. seriously we needed Olinemen more than a guy who shouldnt see the field for 5 years.

I am confused as well with the guys we have drafted at safety in the late rounds, I think we are hoping for another horton.

After sleeping on it for a few days, I've changed my grades.

With RGIII: A-

This is really the only grade that matters. Outside of RGIII, I'm starting to get used to the Cousins pick. If the Shanahans can develop him into a solid QB, should be able to trade him for a 2nd or 3rd no problem. Either that, or the backup spot will be locked up for the rest of eternity. We all saw what happened to Indy when their star went down.

RGIII brings so much to the table - carries the entire draft himself, really. Compton was a steal in the 6th, and Leribeus was a reach in the 3rd, so they cancel out. We certainly weren't the first team who reached on a player, and we won't be the last. Shanahan loved the kid enough to use a 3rd on him, so be it.

The UDFA class contributes as well - most UVA fans I know tell me Chase Minnifield is one the best defensive players that school has had in a while, and will be starting in the next couple years. We got some solid ST contributors, as well as a potential long-term replacement for London Fletcher.

The experts gave us an A-, B-, B-......it seems to be anywhere from as low as a B- to as high as an A depending on where you look. I had us at a B, so I was pretty much in line with what the so-called experts thought. Anyone who thinks we had a bad draft is foolish ryman.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Czar-NFL-Draft-grades-per-team-042812

http://nfl.si.com/2012/04/29/2012-nfl-draft-grades/

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Draft-Grades-NFC.html

reading is your friend, btw i would hesitate to quote "experts" like the ones you picked, i might not get paid, but my record at prognosticating is at least as good and in most cases better.

reading is your friend, btw i would hesitate to quote "experts" like the ones you picked, i might not get paid, but my record at prognosticating is at least as good and in most cases better.
68ff.jpg

A lot of people can make that claim. You make it sound like I should consult you before making a comment and posting the first few examples on google. It's all opinion. And I read just fine. I have read every downtrodden thing you've said about this team for at least 3 straight months. We get it, you hate everything the team does unless they sign a guard or tackle. Because we all know guards and tackles win championships :laugh:

Last edited:

:rolleyes2:

"Blah, blah, blah, I'm the greatest football mind of the 21st century."

You don't have a job analyzing the NFL for a living. The guys at Sports Illustrated, Fox Sports and NFP do. Until you put your money where your mouth is, these claims will be laughable, at best.

really Lanky? have you forgotten that I was right and the so called experts were wrong on several occasions in the past year?

Mcrapp- Ryman right, most experts wrong
3-4 debacle- Ryman right experts wrong
Kemo not being the guy- Ryman right again
Haynesworth being willing to play nose-Ryman right again
Lack of a nosetacke making the 3-4 useless- Ryman right again
Beck being overrated by shanny- ryman right again

I dont need to toot my horn, go read the archives, quite often a fan who is informed and pays attention as well as knows the game will be right when a guy who gets paid makes huge mistakes. The only draft guy I respect is mayock.

For someone who doesn't NEED to toot his own horn, you do so fairly often anyway. Lol.

(the "lol" softens the harshness of the rest of my post. Learned that one from you, Ry)

:)

(smilies do the same thing, btw. Now you can learn from me!)

and extreme, OLINE and Dline win championships.
Not really. Plenty of teams have won one with either one or both sucking. They help, I'm not taking away from that, and I agree they are important. However, they are only a piece of the puzzle. Without skill players being top notch, it doesn't matter how great your lines are. A great QB and a great HB can make a horrible line look way better than they are. On the other hand, there is no line that would make Beck look like a stud.

Mcrapp- Ryman right, most experts wrong
3-4 debacle- Ryman right experts wrong
Kemo not being the guy- Ryman right again
Haynesworth being willing to play nose-Ryman right again
Lack of a nosetacke making the 3-4 useless- Ryman right again
Beck being overrated by shanny- ryman right again

Not to put too fine a line on this but lots of us predicted at least some of these things. And the second item on your list is pure supposition because we have no clue how a 4-3 would worked here in Shanahan's first year, what with all the guys a year older. Many of us think you are seeing things that just aren't there with the defense from the year before so I have a hard time counting that one as a win for you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.