• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Government to shut-down Friday

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date
We are in to Obama's 3rd year though. When does it become all his responsibility? Now I get that Bush was a horrible President to most liberals but there comes a time when the pointing fingers stops and you start saying "well, what are YOU doing?" to the current Prez.

This is only the second budget he's set.

And yes, it's Obama's baby now. He continues to ask for higher credit limits on cards that Bush maxed out. With the economy stabilizing I think that's a bad idea. Last year and the year before I could forgive the spending a little. This year ... I'm running out of patience.

I didn't say we had to spend money to get out of debt. That doesn't make any sense.

I think you mean the deficit, not the debt. And no, he didn't unless you count the 2009 budget which was set when Bush was president.

VP Bite Me disagees with you

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHFEcyUNBjg[/media]

You do know that Obama has been asking for supplemental appropriations for the military as well, correct? Just like Bush, just not annouced as loudly in the media

VP Bite Me disagees with you

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHFEcyUNBjg[/media]

Sarge, a couple things.

First of all, and I say this as someone who respects you and enjoys the back-and-forth ... 'VP Bite Me'? Really?

Sick of spelling Clinton with a K?

I've never understood the need to name-call. Either your point makes sense or it doesn't. Trust me, the names ain't helping. :)

Secondly, a 16 second clip? That's what you got? Does anyone anywhere not think Biden says silly crap from time to time? I'm not sure how that's relevant to this discussion other than to point out that Biden says silly crap.

You do know that Obama has been asking for supplemental appropriations for the military as well, correct? Just like Bush, just not annouced as loudly in the media

Is it supplemental appropriations above and beyond what Bush generally asked for? I'm sure things come up that need to be added (I could be wrong, but I think in 2010 it was about $45 billion), but before 2010, $0 counted towards Iraq and Afganistan in our budgets. In 2010 that amount was $130 billion.

Sarge, a couple things.

First of all, and I say this as someone who respects you and enjoys the back-and-forth ... 'VP Bite Me'? Really?

The military named him that , not me

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37846171/ns/us_news-military/

•“Are you asking about Vice President Biden?” McChrystal says with a laugh. “Who’s that?” “Biden?” suggests a top adviser. “Did you say: Bite me?”

Sick of spelling Clinton with a K?

It never gets old:) Klinton drew my wrath from my active duty days. While you all on the outside enjoyed a relatively good time, economy-wise, it was bought and paid for by deep cuts to the military. Cuts I and millions of others had to live with. So yes, Klinton gets spelled with a "K" in Sarge's world, as befitting a good comrade

I've never understood the need to name-call. Either your point makes sense or it doesn't. Trust me, the names ain't helping. :)

Secondly, a 16 second clip? That's what you got? Does anyone anywhere not think Biden says silly crap from time to time? I'm not sure how that's relevant to this discussion other than to point out that Biden says silly crap.

Bite Me says stupid stuff all the time. At least once a month or so he escapes from the compound and goes out in public with some profoundly stupid saying. It's probably given somenut job pause about knocking off Obama.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxdj-ZwKNZ0[/media]

Is it supplemental appropriations above and beyond what Bush generally asked for? I'm sure things come up that need to be added (I could be wrong, but I think in 2010 it was about $45 billion), but before 2010, $0 counted towards Iraq and Afganistan in our budgets. In 2010 that amount was $130 billion.

I'm not sure if it's above Bush's request. But I do know Obama's been fudging the numbers by asking for additional appropriations, just like Bush

It never gets old Klinton drew my wrath from my active duty days. While you all on the outside enjoyed a relatively good time, economy-wise, it was bought and paid for by deep cuts to the military. Cuts I and millions of others had to live with. So yes, Klinton gets spelled with a "K" in Sarge's world, as befitting a good comrade

So government spending cuts makes a President a good comrade? Interesting. :)

Gotta be honest with ya, Sarge. Defense spending should be on the block again. If we want to seriously address the budget that's one of the places where we spend a lot of money. A lot more than at Planned Parenthood. ...

I'm not sure if it's above Bush's request. But I do know Obama's been fudging the numbers by asking for additional appropriations, just like Bush

The point is that there is now $130 billion on the books for something that counted a 0$ when Bush was president. Something to consider when bashing Obama for 'increased spending'. Maybe there's other stuff too that neither president counts/counted. I never said there wasn't. But without knowing the amounts that doesn't really mean anything.

Last edited:
defense spending cuts? man, these boys are already over there with limited and substandard equipment. what else can we take from them? 1 war going, 1 about to go and there is no way you take a dime from them.

I've been trying to stay out of this debate but I am with Henry. Defense needs cuts too. It isn't all about the ground troops. No need to cut them at all. Have you seen the spending projections for the JSF project for the AF, Navy and Marines? That can get cut way back and not endanger national security at all.

That's the problem, Mike. We won't cut that sort of nonsense, we will inevitably end up cutting jobs and weapons, which is absurd. My wife works in the public schools and rails forever about the waste in the school systems. But during austerity measures, it's all about cutting positions, not the extra, wasteful crap.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

OK, THAT I get. But lets be honest. when it comes to taking away Admiral Bonehead's personal watercraft or Private Jones' kevlar which do you think will suffer? The military is one of the WORST when it comes to spending and overpriced stuff. I remember they would say that pens were $1 a piece and we would use them as slingshot material. There is no accountability for any money spent.

Are you saying that we shouldn't cut military spending because the military manages it's money poorly? In that case, we need to spend more on welfare. :)

Look, spending cuts suck. They are no fun and nobody affected by them likes them. That's why they are so hard to impose. Which is why our spending is out of control. Like I said, we are now faced with some very tough choices. Cutting defense spending is one of them. Raising the retirement age is another. Raising taxes is another. Nobody likes any of this. I don't like it.

But you can't talk about making hard choices, about toughing it out, about feeling some pain to get back to fiscal sanity and then not do it. I just sold an arm and a leg to science to pay my taxes this year. I'm not making these statements lightly. But if we are SERIOUS about reducing the deficit, it's time we start acting like we're serious.

Sadly, I don't think this budget does that.

Thats not what I was saying and you know it smart ass...lol

The military is so large that just saying "cut defense" is too big of a paint brush to use. You have to be able to get in there and get to the root of the problem. If we tried to just "cut defenses" the only people who suffer are those in the sand box with a rifle in their hands.

PS - I agree with raising the retirement age.

Ah. Increase regulation. I'm all for that too. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.