• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Government to shut-down Friday

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date
Nah, if you do it the right time of day, it doesn't have to be horrible. But I also agree that he just had a vacation. I suppose he is selling this as more economical because he doesn't have to travel as far.

LOL...So the Federal Govt is facing a shutdown, but Obama can bring the family to Williamsburg. I wonder who will pay the secret service agents? Who pays the bill for State Police that will be working, some which will be getting overtime?

LOL...So the Federal Govt is facing a shutdown, but Obama can bring the family to Williamsburg. I wonder who will pay the secret service agents? Who pays the bill for State Police that will be working, some which will be getting overtime?

...and more importantly, is he saving money by eating at the Cheese Shop and/or Pauls? Or is still going to the Taverns?

Decisions, decisions...

...and more importantly, is he saving money by eating at the Cheese Shop and/or Pauls? Or is still going to the Taverns?

Decisions, decisions...

Probably the Trellis one time, plus at the Lodge (and don't mean Great Wolf). :) I would recommend Pierce's.

:rotflmao:

No one biting on the liberal blather today Lanky? It must be difficult being the only outspoken liberal thinker on the board. We still luv ya though, bro!

Liberal blather? As a defense contractor, a significant portion my livelihood depends on the government running. So, I'm glad you're having a good laugh at the situation. :)

"In spite of the deficit hawks' whining, history and financial markets tell us that the deficit and debt levels that we are currently seeing are not a serious problem. The current projections show that even ten years out on our current course the ratio of debt to GDP will be just over 90 percent. The ratio of debt to GDP was over 110 percent after World War II. Instead of impoverishing the children of that era, the three decades following World War II saw the most rapid increase in living standards in the country's history."

-Economist Dean Baker

link

Liberal blather? As a defense contractor, a significant portion my livelihood depends on the government running. So, I'm glad you're having a good laugh at the situation. :)

You voted for Obama, so I do not feel sorry for you! Between Obama and the Democratic Congress they neglected to pass a budget in September of last year. They are the culprits! Not Republicans, as much as you want to paint them with the blame. It's just not the facts!

Congress is required to pass a Budget at the beginning of every fiscal year, October 1. They did not pass one last year because they knew they could not let the American people see what a poor job the stimulus and all the other spending they had done.

So don't come around with your liberal blather talking about how it is the Republicans fault!

El, do you understand the budget process? The House and Senate can pass a zillion budgets each, but if they can't agree on one, there is no budget! That's where we have been since last year.

Dems have compromised (enough? eh, who knows) but the Repubs are not budging. Yes, its the Republicans' fault right now. So please quit with the right-wing blather. ;)

El, do you understand the budget process? The House and Senate can pass a zillion budgets each, but if they can't agree on one, there is no budget! That's where we have been since last year.

Dems have compromised (enough? eh, who knows) but the Repubs are not budging. Yes, its the Republicans' fault right now. So please quit with the right-wing blather. ;)

I have to apologize for the last comment, I do care if you are working or not. I consider you a friend and I do not want to see you go without work. It sucks!

But, the Democratic controlled Senate and President did not pass a budget last September before the fiscal year began when it is required by law. This current shut down would not be an option, now, if the budget had been passed when the Dems were in control! They had the opportunity to do it more than 6 months ago without Republican interference.

Sorry dude, but they had ALL of last year to get this done. The Dems are now EIGHT MONTHS late with a budget when they had the COngress and the White House

The Dems OWN this one

I agree that the Dems should have passed a budget, but you're wrong in saying the shutdown wouldn't be an option at this point if they had. If Dems & Repubs couldn't agree on a budget by the 15th there would be a shutdown regardless.

So Sarge and El (and everyone else, apparently): your stance is that if the Dems had passed a budget, they all would be singing kumbaya and holding hands by now in conference as they passed the final product?

So Sarge and El (and everyone else, apparently): your stance is that if the Dems had passed a budget, they all would be singing kumbaya and holding hands by now in conference as they passed the final product?

You always do this and it is incredibly disingenuous!

Where did we say in any of our posts that everything would be kumbaya?

With the current swing in the political spectrum, we are faced with a Democratic party that is more to the left since a large portion of moderate Democrats were defeated in November. They were defeated in a large part by Republicans that are a little more to the right. So it is going to be difficult to pass anything in the current Congress.

But you are wrong to think it will be the Republicans who pay for this in 2012. I believe Obama wins a 2nd term by the skin of his teeth(GOD FORBID!) only because a quality opponent has yet to emerge. But the Senate will come under Republican control and the House will remain in control of the GOP by a large majority.

You always do this and it is incredibly disingenuous!

Where did we say in any of our posts that everything would be kumbaya?

I wasn't stating, I was asking. I don't see any other reason to argue that everything would be okay now if the Dems had only passed a budget in 2010.

I suspect they would be working on next years budget, like they're supposed to be doing. Instead, they're cleaning up the mess the Dems left from a year ago

I wasn't stating, I was asking. I don't see any other reason to argue that everything would be okay now if the Dems had only passed a budget in 2010.

There wouldnt be a government shutdown if it had been passed which it should have by OCT 1st. Aint it ironic how Congress will still get paid if the government does shut down they should be the first to give up there paycheck every single one of them

There wouldnt be a government shutdown if it had been passed which it should have by OCT 1st. Aint it ironic how Congress will still get paid if the government does shut down they should be the first to give up there paycheck every single one of them

What's worse is that in past shut downs, the president has directed the Treasury to pay the military no matter what. Even Klinton, who never saw a military program he didn't want to gut, did this, But for some reason, Obama hasn't done this. I wonder why? Must be too busy packing for his Williamsburg vacation

I agree that the Dems should have passed a budget, but you're wrong in saying the shutdown wouldn't be an option at this point if they had. If Dems & Repubs couldn't agree on a budget by the 15th there would be a shutdown regardless.

Bingo. Sorry I couldn't come to your defense yesterday, Lanky. I know how crazy these people can be... :)

Do the Dems deserve blame for not getting a budget in place? Certainly. But the Repubs haven't exactly been easy to work with since then, have they? I know it's not a perfect comparison, but I find it ironic (to say the least), the Repubs have no responsibility to work with the Dems to try to come up with something that works well for the country, even though the Dems, in your own words, are the ones that screwed this up. Yet, Bush screwed up the economy and the country for Obama, and he is expected to just hold it?

OK. As long as we're clear.

And before the protests and angry insults come raining down on my head, I know the situations are nowhere near identical. I get that. I just find it... interesting/appalling/noteworthy that you all seem so set on defending the Repubs in every frickin' debate. I will vigorously defend what I believe in, the principles and ideals I believe important. A political party will NEVER fall into that category.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.