• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Get your mind around it....

As the call is overturned ...

7m1l48S.jpg

Chris Christie has the same "I will eat your entire family" look on his face whether its a win or loss.

BACK TO THE SWAMPS WITH YOU, KOOL AID!!

The thing I saw was when he was in the end zone the ball came out of his hands. That made it obvious.

Which, at that point, the ref was already calling the play dead, a catch, & marking the spot. He wasn't even looking to see if Dez had held onto it. If McCarthy doesn't throw that challenge flag, it's a missed call & Dallas goes on to score. Again, the refs not doing their job at field level properly.

Surprised Chris Krispy Kreme didn't declare flags be half-staff in New Jersey.

Nick

Hard to watch the unbelievably great play Dez made on the ball, and not have common sense whispering in my ear that it's a catch. But I am comfortable that the reversal was correct based on the technical application of the rule. Whether the rule is a good one or not, I'm unsure at this point. But at any rate that's a debate for another day.

One thing I AM sure of? If Dallas gets the call, and scores there to go up by 2 ... with over 4 minutes left ... they're still going to lose. No way in hell they keep Aaron Rodgers, the way that freak of nature it playing, from driving leisurely down the field for the win.

AS far as i'm concerned there was nothing controversial about the play. Everyone today saying controversy but it is not. It was the correct application of the rule that has been witnessed several times before in the NFL.

As far as analyzing the mechanics of the play, I have found that all you have to remember is that the ground cannot cause a fumble, but the ground CAN cause an incompletion.

AS far as i'm concerned there was nothing controversial about the play. Everyone today saying controversy but it is not. It was the correct application of the rule that has been witnessed several times before in the NFL.

As far as analyzing the mechanics of the play, I have found that all you have to remember is that the ground cannot cause a fumble, but the ground CAN cause an incompletion.

Yeah, I agree. I mean, we have seen that rule applied a number of times to everyone else throughout the League in a number of situations. It's an incomplete pass. Plain & simple. Now, as Om stated, whether it is a good or bad rule is debatable. But the call was a good one.

Now, what I'd like to see is them actually apply the rule of not being on the field without your helmet. Dez Bryant, during both last weeks game & this weeks game ran onto the field without his helmet & the refs did nothing either time. As if, "it's Dez Bryant. Jerry has us paid up on this one" kinda attitude. They should be thankful that after giving Green Bay the ball back, they didn't turn around & give them another 15 yards for that.

I just had a Cowboys fan tell me that someone on ESPN (he strangely doesn't remember who it was that said it even though he said just moments ago apparently) that "Dez Bryant is too good for the NFL". Really? Well, seeing how the NFL is the highest level a football player can go, it seems to me that maybe whoever said that is a Cowboys fan themselves & is obviously butthurt by the rule. My response to him was simple.

"Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha"

He is also better than Megatron....until they had to go head to head.

He cried just like TO. I really think his career follows the path of Owens. He is a stud but his act will continue to grow old until his skills are outweighed by his baggage.

The thing I find funny about both situations (the Detroit game last week and Dallas vs. Green Bay) is that both teams who perceived that they were screwed over by an official's decision had opportunities to put the games away on their own accord, but failed to do so when the chance presented itself.

I keep hearing this, but it just doesn't fly with me. Detroit was in the process of taking care of the game...driving to score again with a lead. That is all you can ask for. They were robbed of the opportunity to finish it off.

I have never been so happy to see Boone wrong. Cowboy fans around here are crying foul.

They won one with a controversial call and now lost one the same way. Life is good.

For those arguing that Bryant took three steps and lunged for the end zone, Dean Blandino put it nicely stating that it was momentum carrying Bryant forward for three steps, and that as a result it did not constitute a football move. He stressed the importance of watching it in full speed to recognize that. When you do, he's bang on.

It's not surprising that Cowboys fans don't buy that argument. After all, they need everything explained to them in slow motion.

Last edited:
Let's not lose sight of the fact that we would be just as steadfast in our denial of that call if it was our team it had been made against. I don't sympathize with Dallas fans, but I totally, absolutely understand how bitter they are.

Absolutely, if we are in their shoes, we're screaming for the rule to be changed. By the rulebook it was the right call, and a dumb rule if you ask me, but rules are rules. Lots of people feel Marijuana is not truly a drug but you can still be arrested for it.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that we would be just as steadfast in our denial of that call if it was our team it had been made against. I don't sympathize with Dallas fans, but I totally, absolutely understand how bitter they are.

I don't know if we'd all be in denial although we'd be pissed at the situation. It's an easier call than the RGIII fumble and many of us recognized it was right by the rule even if we hated it.

For those arguing that Bryant took three steps and lunged for the end zone, Dean Blandino put it nicely stating that it was momentum carrying Bryant forward for three steps, and that as a result it did not constitute a football move. He stressed the importance of watching it in full speed to recognize that. When you do, he's bang on.

It's not surprising that Cowboys fans don't buy that argument. After all, they need everything explained to them in slow motion.

I don't even think it was three steps. Looks like two to me with the second step being after getting both feet down.

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/B4FE6FF6031166165812445650944_3c095fbf861.1.5.4371294969175115546.mp4?versionId=ysNU7y8laLRN7eZvRKt3pNnT5QQK5YkZ

I think I'll check the Cowboys fan forums and see if any of them post about the refs being paid off. :movefast:

:biggrin-new:

Absolutely, if we are in their shoes, we're screaming for the rule to be changed. .

I am totally for changing the rule on this because it does affect us all. It has happened to us all as we have seen this rule applied to us as well, among other rules that I think should be adjusted. But this one, to me; if the ground causes the ball to come loose, but you ultimately still come down with it, then it should be a completion. But if the ground causes the ball to come loose & the ball ultimately gets dropped, then yes, incomplete, IMO.

To me, it didn't occur to me that there was a reason for a 2nd look until McCarthy threw the challenge flag. It was then that I realize, "wait a minute". Honestly, I thought it was a catch. And I would argue that in the backyard, I would call it a catch. But rules are rules & they apply to everyone, usually. It's nice to see the rules actually applied to the Cowboys. And it's even nicer when that rule costs them an opportunity to take a late lead in the most important game they've played in since 1995.

I am totally for changing the rule on this because it does affect us all. It has happened to us all as we have seen this rule applied to us as well, among other rules that I think should be adjusted. But this one, to me; if the ground causes the ball to come loose, but you ultimately still come down with it, then it should be a completion. But if the ground causes the ball to come loose & the ball ultimately gets dropped, then yes, incomplete, IMO.

To me, it didn't occur to me that there was a reason for a 2nd look until McCarthy threw the challenge flag. It was then that I realize, "wait a minute". Honestly, I thought it was a catch. And I would argue that in the backyard, I would call it a catch. But rules are rules & they apply to everyone, usually. It's nice to see the rules actually applied to the Cowboys. And it's even nicer when that rule costs them an opportunity to take a late lead in the most important game they've played in since 1995.

Bryant regained possession but the ball made contact with the ground, which is what caused it to come loose. Since it touched the ground and moved, possession lost, dead ball. Had he come down on his forearm and the ball popped up into the air and he regained possession... it's a catch. Ball contacting the ground is the determining factor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.