• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Game Notes: Redskins at Eagles

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
December 23, 2012
Lincoln Financial Field – Philadelphia

Game Notes: Washington Redskins at Philadelphia Eagles

• The Washington Redskins improved to 9-6 on the season with a 27-20 win against the Philadelphia Eagles in front of an announced crowd of 69,144 people at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia on Sunday.
• The win means the Redskins can clinch their first NFC East title since 1999 and their first playoff berth since 2007 with a win next week.
• The Redskins have now won six consecutive games and have their first six-game winning streak since the final five weeks and the NFC Wild Card Round of the 2005 season.
• The six-game winning streak is the Redskins’ first six-game regular season winning streak since winning seven in a row in Weeks 2-9 of the 1996 season.
• The Redskins’ nine wins this season are the team’s highest total since 2007. It is the 23rd season of nine or more wins in team history.
• At 9-6 this season, the Redskins are at least three games above .500 after 15 games for the first time since being 10-6 after the final week of the 2005 season.
• Kicker Kai Forbath converted field goal attempts of 45 and 42 yards in the second quarter, improving him to 17-for-17 this season and breaking Garrett Hartley’s NFL record for consecutive field goals made to start a career (16).
• Quarterback Robert Griffin III returned to the starting lineup and completed 16-of-24 passes for 198 yards with two touchdowns.
• Griffin III now has 3,100 passing yards this season, marking the 20th time in Redskins history that a player has thrown for 3,000 yards in a season.
• Running back Alfred Morris started and gained 91 yards on 22 carries with one rushing touchdown.
• Morris now has 1,413 rushing yards this season, the fourth-highest total by a Redskin in a single season. His total marks the fifth time in team history that a player has rushed for at least 1,400 yards in a season (Clinton Portis and Stephen Davis each accomplished the feat in two seasons).
• Morris needs 104 rushing yards next week to break Clinton Portis’ team record for rushing yards in a season (1,516 in 2005).
• Morris (1,413) and Griffin III (752) have combined for 2,165 rushing yards this season, the most by a pair of teammates in a season in Redskins history.
• With 22 carries, Morris now has 302 rushing attempts this season. Morris is the Redskins’ first 300-carry player since Clinton Portis in 2007 (325).
• Washington finished the game with five sacks, a season high and the team’s most since registering seven sacks at St. Louis in Week 4 last season.
• With two takeaways and one turnover, the Redskins are +14 in turnover differential this year. If Washington maintained its current differential, it would be the team’s best since posting a +18 differential in 1991.
• Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan earned his 174th overall victory as an NFL head coach, tying Mike Holmgren for 11th all-time in NFL history.
• The Eagles opened the scoring with a 27-yard touchdown pass on their opening drive. However, with a win on Sunday, Washington is now 6-2 this season in games in which its opponents have scored first.
• Wide receiver Santana Moss had a 12-yard run in the first quarter, his longest rush since recording a 28-yard rush vs. New Orleans in Week 2 of the 2008 season.
• Linebacker Perry Riley registered a sack of Nick Foles in the first quarter, improving on his single-season career high, giving him 3.5 sacks on the season.
• One play later, linebacker Ryan Kerrigan registered a sack-fumble on Foles.
• The forced fumble was Kerrigan’s second of the season and sixth of his career. Kerrigan set a Redskins rookie record a season ago with four forced fumbles in 2011.
• The fumble was recovered by cornerback Richard Crawford, his first career fumble recovery.
• Morris had a 17-yard reception in the second quarter, his longest since registering a 20-yard reception vs. Atlanta in Week 5.
• Kerrigan added a second quarter sack of Foles, giving him a single-season career high of 8.5 sacks this season.
• Linebacker London Fletcher registered an interception of Foles in the second quarter. It was his 23rd career interception, giving him sole possession of second-most by an active linebacker (Ray Lewis – 31).
• It was Fletcher’s fifth interception of the season, a single-season career high. It was his 12th career interception with the Redskins, tying him with Sam Huff and Wilber Marshall for fifth-most by a Redskins linebacker.
• It marked Fletcher’s third straight game with an interception, the first time in his career with at least one interception in three consecutive contests.
• The interception was the ninth by a Redskins linebacker this season, the most by the unit since registering nine interceptions in 1991.
• On the ensuing drive, the Redskins took their first lead of the game on an 11-yard pass from Griffin III to wide receiver Joshua Morgan.
• The touchdown pass was the 19th of the season for Griffin III, improving on his existing Redskins rookie record. The touchdown reception was Morgan’s second of the season and the 11th of his career.
• The reception pushed Morgan over 500 receiving yards for the season. The Redskins have four players with at least 500 receiving yards this season (Pierre Garçon – 587; Santana Moss – 551; Leonard Hankerson – 531; Morgan - 510), the team’s most since having five players reach 500 yards during the 2000 season.
• The Redskins scored 10 points off turnovers, giving them 106 points off turnovers this season, the most since scoring 111 points off turnovers in 1997.
• Washington entered the halftime break with a 13-10 lead. The Redskins are now 6-1 this season when leading at halftime.
• On the Redskins’ first drive of the second half, Morris registered his 10th rushing touchdown of the season with a 10-yard touchdown run.
• With the touchdown, Morris tied Pro Football Hall of Famer Charley Taylor for the Redskins’ rookie record for total touchdowns in a season (10 in 1964). Morris already held the team rookie record for rushing touchdowns.
• Morris’ 10 touchdowns this season mark the 12th double-digit rushing touchdown season in team history and the first since Clinton Portis in 2007 (11).
• Safety Madieu Williams dropped Foles in the third quarter for his first sack as a member of the Redskins. He now has 5.5 sacks for his career. It was his first full sack since Week 14 of the 2007 season as a member of the Cincinnati Bengals.
• On fourth down in the third quarter, linebacker Lorenzo Alexander dropped Foles for a sack, giving him a single-season career high of 2.5 sacks this season.
• On the following drive, Griffin III threw his 20th touchdown pass of the season on a 22-yard pass to Santana Moss.
• The touchdown was Moss’ 45th as a member of the Redskins. Moss is one of only seven Redskins to catch 45 touchdowns with the organization.
• The touchdown reception was Moss’ eighth of the season, a team high. He is one receiving touchdown shy of matching his best single-season total as a Redskin (nine in 2005).
• Tight end Chris Cooley registered his first reception of the season, gaining eight yards on a fourth-quarter pass. The catch was Cooley’s first since Week 6 of the 2011 season vs. Philadelphia.
• The win in Philadelphia was Washington’s fifth road win of the season, the most by the team since winning seven road games in 1991.
• Washington is now 4-1 against NFC East opponents, the team’s most wins against divisional opponents since winning five games against the NFC East in 2005.
• The Redskins completed their first season sweep of the Eagles since 2008.

The sweet success of victory lots of things going good

We really took our eye off the ball after building the lead today.

We may have a lead next week but a better qb and receivers as opponents.

Got to stay aggressive.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Any time you beat a division rival on the road its a good day. Any time you sweep a division rival its a very good day. Any time you win your sixth straight game its a great day.

We did not play great today. But we still won. Because we are a good team. :) And if we are going to have an off day ... Better this week than next week.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I guess the skill players here have shown me enough that facing Foles and the weak OL and secondary that I expected a win today.

When you get up by two TDs on a team closing out their season it's time for the jackboot on the neck.

It's a divisonal game. Weird **** happens. I'm not surprised it was close. I don't think we're gonna blow out Dallas next week, though I would love it if we did.

I just think at 27-13 we called off the dogs and let the Eagles recoup some confidence to make it close.

We need to remember the comeback that Dallas had on Thanksgiving when prepping for next week.

I just think at 27-13 we called off the dogs and let the Eagles recoup some confidence to make it close.

We need to remember the comeback that Dallas had on Thanksgiving when prepping for next week.

On this point you are correct, if we don't put Dallas away, Romo has shown over the past few weeks he is capable of bringing them back...

Mike, I remember 1991 quite well. The Cowboys beat us at 11-0 to ruin our chance to go undefeated. However, that Dallas team was not awful, it was an 11-5 playoff team that went on to win the Super Bowl the following season in 1992.

I don't see any comparisons to the Eagles team we had out there today unless you are ready to crown Foles and guys like Maclin as being generational talents.

I am not.

No, I am just someone that gets the facts right. I attended the game the Redskins lost to Dallas in 1991 and remember that they finished only 3 games behind us in the NFC East despite our going 14-2.

That team had the triplets and a host of emerging defensive players.

My attitude is act as if you have been there before.

Am I happy this team won today? Yes.

With Griffin coming back did I expect the Redskins at 8-6 to beat the 4-10 Eagles? Yes.

I have a smile on my face now with a final game for all the marbles.

But I am not jumping up to touch the ceiling because I recognize we are not in yet, not even as a wildcard.

Let's not get like the Seattle fans that after beating the Cardinals were talking about having a budding dynasty team.

you said that the Cowboys were an awful team when they beat the Redskins in 1991 and that was not true. go back and look at the season records of the teams, including that Dallas made the playoffs as a wildcard.

what you are doing is failing to address the accuracy of your own post and then attacking me on other grounds to draw attention away from your hyperbole.

I see the misdirection :)

Guys - take the silly negative back and forth to PM. It was a great day to be a fan - how about we try to enjoy it instead of having a running pissing match in 3 different threads. You disagree - we get it.

I think the dominating kind of wins we are hoping for are at least another season down the road. I give mad props to the defense for making enough big plays to help secure the wins. The Defense is undermanned with depth and talent with the present active roster. I think it wouldn't be a hard stretch to say even with the opening day roster the same could have been said about the defense.
That being said Playoffs yeah I said PLAYOFFS:cheers:are almost a certainty.How far will they go? Who knows? The Packers, Pats and even the Giants have succeeded in the post season with less then stellar defenses.:joker:

I have a feeling that was a "do-the-least-amount-needed-for-the-win" kind of game. They didn't want to put too much on Griff due to the injury, and relied on Morris and Griff's arm to beat an inferior team. Why put too much on Griff's shoulders when he was obviously not 100% against a bad team?

There absolutely could be a little gamesmanship put on for the Cowboy's benefit, who knows?

I have a feeling that was a "do-the-least-amount-needed-for-the-win" kind of game. They didn't want to put too much on Griff due to the injury, and relied on Morris and Griff's arm to beat an inferior team. Why put too much on Griff's shoulders when he was obviously not 100% against a bad team?

There absolutely could be a little gamesmanship put on for the Cowboy's benefit, who knows?

This was by far the most we've seen Griffin remain in the pocket all year. I think it was good for him too. He was able to make some moves to avoid the rush where he merely stepped up or to the side. It will help develop that ability to not feel the need to scramble immediately. I saw in him what I see in the greats, the ability to avoid the rush without having to be extremely fast/athletic.

This was by far the most we've seen Griffin remain in the pocket all year. I think it was good for him too. He was able to make some moves to avoid the rush where he merely stepped up or to the side. It will help develop that ability to not feel the need to scramble immediately. I saw in him what I see in the greats, the ability to avoid the rush without having to be extremely fast/athletic.

Yep. Thing is, I don't think we have the line or the WRs to play traditional, straight up football against good teams. We're pretty lucky Griff got hurt when he did. If we had to play against the Giants and Cowboys in back to back weeks, I'm not sure we could have pulled this off.

Hats off again to the Shanahans. No one, and I mean no one is talking about Mike for Coach of the Year and they should be. This is an incredible coaching run we're on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.