• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agents Thread

The problem with Ryan Harris is he cannot stay healthy. 19 games in two seasons is not going to cut it. Yes, he was drafted by Shanny, but that is not a guy you can rely on and tell yourself, 'well RT is taken care of.'

On top of that, he may be a Restricted FA. We are not sure yet how that is going to play out. If he is restricted, we will have to give up something for him.

Maybe we will get lucky and get a Carriker type deal and he will come here and be healthy the whole season.

Rex is our starter and McNabb is gone, is Beck our backup or do we go with another FA?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

My guess is we grab a FA, re-sign Rex, trade or release McNabb and possibly have a rookie in there.

I saw on NFL Network that they were linking us with Hasselbeck. I really do not know if that would work especially with his injury history and declining arm. I just assume keep Rex. I think we may go after one of the younger QB's such as Alex Smith. I really hope they avoid Vince Young, I don't think he could handle the complexities of Shannahan's offense.

I have always liked Tavaris Jackson. He is by no means a long term answer but I think he could be a solid backup and spot starter. I wonder if Shanny will look at him.

I wouldn't recommend Hasselbeck. That's all we need is a sequel to the McNabb story we had last year.

Last edited:
I am not a huge fan of Tavaris. I was not aware that he was a free agent. In reality, there is not a FA QB that could save this team. We need to be creative or patient if we are going to find one.

I am not a huge fan of Tavaris. I was not aware that he was a free agent. In reality, there is not a FA QB that could save this team. We need to be creative or patient if we are going to find one.

I agree. It is sad but Grossman is probably our best option is 2011. I would love to have that Veteran QB that is safe and smart with the football. That is not Grossman at all. If Chad Pennington could walk across a street without getting hurt he would be an option.

Grossman is definitely our best option if this year is shortened. He already knows the playbook and will beat out anyone brought in based on his knowledge.

Of course, Grossman needs to be re-signed. I don't think that will be hard. He will sign a minimal contract and he gets a starting job. But, what if we lose Grossman to FA? Everyone is assuming he is coming back. But, I have not seen any evidence from the Skins that points to him coming back. So far it is all media assumption.

What if we lose Grossman and McNabb? Beck is the only other QB on the roster. The conspiracy theorists would come out of the woodwork claiming that we are trying to lose this year in order to grab Luck. Not saying I support this position, I can just see it happening. I cannot see Shannahan losing out on purpose.

Grossman is definitely our best option if this year is shortened. He already knows the playbook and will beat out anyone brought in based on his knowledge.

Of course, Grossman needs to be re-signed. I don't think that will be hard. He will sign a minimal contract and he gets a starting job. But, what if we lose Grossman to FA? Everyone is assuming he is coming back. But, I have not seen any evidence from the Skins that points to him coming back. So far it is all media assumption.

What if we lose Grossman and McNabb? Beck is the only other QB on the roster. The conspiracy theorists would come out of the woodwork claiming that we are trying to lose this year in order to grab Luck. Not saying I support this position, I can just see it happening. I cannot see Shannahan losing out on purpose.

I would be SHOCKED, SHOCKED (to find gambling in this establishment!) if we look worse than last year and Shanahan remains the coach, barring some serious injury problems. I don't think Snyder will demand significant improvement (6-7 wins should do it), but he is going to need something. And no backsliding. I truly think that Shanahan overestimated the talent level that was here upon arrival. If he sold that over estimation to the owner, Snyder may already be leaning towards making a change, and will definitely do so if things get worse.

I agree that Shanny overestimated the talent on the roster. If he did not, I don't think he would be here right now. I think that holds true for any veteran HC when considering a new team. You will not see Fisher going to a bottom dweller next year.

If we have a worse year, I do not think Snyder will fire him, even if we do not win a game. If this was five to ten years ago, I would say yes, he is as good as gone. I seriously think Snyder has changed his philosophy, at least for the short term. Time will tell. He has to know that if Bruce Allen and Mike Shannahan are fired, no one of any importance would ever come here again. I truely belive that he knows that.

He has admitted to making a mistake with Marty. He has even gone as far as to apologize to Marty and offered his plane for Schott's family emergencies. The two have made amends.

Gibbs went backwards in 2006 and he was not fired. I think Snyder thinks of Shanny slightly less than Gibbs, but in very very high regard. I think he will get the Joe Gibbs treatment from Snyder. Same goes for Allen.

I think these two will get at least five years, if not more. In fact Snyder was already on record saying that Shannahan has as long as he needs. He could retire as a Skin. I believe him. They had a relationship before he came to DC. Allen, well his lineage speaks for itself. Snyder knows the implications of firing these two.

If Allen, and Shanny gamble and lose out, they will still have a job next year. But, I do not think it will happen. Shanny knows the implications it will have on the mental makeup of the team. It could be disastorous. As Shannahan has said: 'this team needs to learn how to win.' Losing out on purpose would be counter productive.

However, I do not put it past this organization to trade all of it's worth to draft Luck. If we have a full compliment of picks, plus extras, I could see almost all of those going to whoever has the first pick in next years draft. I have read rumors that Shanny is super high on Luck.

Your last paragraph I completely agree with. And am OK with. If we evaluate and truly believe Luck is the next Elway/Manning/Brady/whoever, then you do what you have to do to get the kid.

But you better be damned certain.

As for Shanny, very little would surprise me anymore with this team. If Snyder fired him tomorrow, I don't think I would be shocked. Snyder can say all he wants that Shan-Allen have as much time as they need, but I don't put a lot of stock in his words until his actions measure up. And they haven't measured up so far.

As for Gibbs, if Snyder had fired Gibbs, Even he is not stupid enough to think he would have survived that one. If he thought the fan protests were bad in the let days of Vinny and Zorn, heh heh. If he had done anything to Gibbs, heaven help him. Cause no one else in DC would have.

I still think Shanny needs to show improvement this year. Until Snyder actually SHOWS patience, I personally don't believe he has any.

I guess I am the opposite. I will hold Snyder to his word and I think he is being honest.

I was never a big fan of Shannahan before he arrived here. I really did not want him here. Now, I am in his corner. If Snyder fires him for having another poor season....well, I do not know what I will do. I have not been against Snyder up to this point, but that would be the straw that broke the Omniscient's back.

I would still watch football, but I would have a very hard time conjuring up any positive feelings about this club in the immediate future. I used to be a huge Orioles fan, but that ended about 10 years ago. I thought I would come back, but I never did. I follow the team, but I could not tell you the last time I watched them. I think the same may hold true for the Skins if that were to happen.

Sounds like we may need to revive this thread soon.

From what I've heard sounds like their have been discussions between FA's and some teams. Not to the point of money or anything, just each getting a feel for interest.

Heard Hasselback has talked with couple teams.

Heh heh. Just had a vision of picking up Sidney Rice in FA, pairing him with Armstrong and Hankerson. Bring Moss back in the slot for a year or two while Hankerson develops?

If we can draft some people for the OLine to protect the QB, when we get our next QB, he may have a fun offense to run.

Last edited:
Who is this Hankerton you speak of? :moon:

I really don't think we will go bat butt crazy in FA, but it would not surprise me to see us going after two more studs, two solids, and however many dependables/reliables.

Sounds like a lot of hanky to me.

Rut Roh! We just found his new nickname!

:biggrin2:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.