• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Foods you like that most people hate

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Being a born and raised southern boy and a huge fan of food, I eat a lot of food that makes most people cringe or raise their eyebrows. I am one of those types that will try any food at least once, just because I am an equal opportunity eater :D

So I realized tonight that there are a lot of foods I eat that most people I know won't even try, just because of the odd factor, or whatever other reason they might have. Here's my list.....(I don't eat all of these all the time, but I do like them)

1. Fried pork brains with scrambled eggs
2. Scrapple
3. Pigs feet (although I haven't eaten them since I was about 16)
4. Eel
5. Sashimi
6. Sardines
7. Alligator
8. Raw oysters

I will add more as they come to mind, but these are the ones I catch the most **** about. Honestly, the only thing I have ever eaten that disgusted me was Conch. Absolutely horrible, wretched ****. I tried octopus once and that was enough for me. It wasn't disgusting, it just wasn't appealing at all, taste or texture.

Anyone else got any?

I'm not sure I've eaten many things I didn't lke (and Extreme, you just aren't eating octopus the right way). Never tried a few on Extreme's list (brains and eggs were a favorite of my mom's but never tried them). Haven't done the pig's feet either. All the others I have tried and liked.

I love chicken livers (and liver in general). My wife isn't a big cook, but she does this sauteed chicken livers with bacon, green olives, and some cooking sherry served over rice that is one of my favorite things ever.

Loved brussel sprouts as a kid too. Still do.

Love me some Kimchee which many people won't go near. Smoked oysters, sardines, love em.

I'm not sure I've eaten many things I didn't lke (and Extreme, you just aren't eating octopus the right way). Never tried a few on Extreme's list (brains and eggs were a favorite of my mom's but never tried them). Haven't done the pig's feet either. All the others I have tried and liked.

I love chicken livers (and liver in general). My wife isn't a big cook, but she does this sauteed chicken livers with bacon, green olives, and some cooking sherry served over rice that is one of my favorite things ever.

Loved brussel sprouts as a kid too. Still do.

Love me some Kimchee which many people won't go near. Smoked oysters, sardines, love em.
Kimchee is awesome, but like eel, it is a flavor I can see why most people don't like. It's weird, but weird good.

My great grandma said the same thing to me about octopus. Her and my brother always eat it like it's candy, it just doesn't do much for me.

If you've never tried conch at a sushi restaurant, I warn you against it. It tastes exactly like what it is, a giant slug in a shell. Terrible stuff. That is one thing I have yet to meet a fan of.

Kimchee is awesome, but like eel, it is a flavor I can see why most people don't like. It's weird, but weird good.

My great grandma said the same thing to me about octopus. Her and my brother always eat it like it's candy, it just doesn't do much for me.

If you've never tried conch at a sushi restaurant, I warn you against it. It tastes exactly like what it is, a giant slug in a shell. Terrible stuff. That is one thing I have yet to meet a fan of.

I could eat sushi every night, but the thing there is, you're essentially getting food in it's most native version. Some things (like octopus) need some complimentary flavors. When I live in Hawaii, you could buy 'Taco Poke' ('taco' is the Japanese word for octopus I believe), a salad made with seaweed, sesame oil, hot peppers, and octopus. Every grocery store sold it. You could also catch them at night. We would pound the tentacles, chop them up, and stir fry them with fresh vegetables. Nice! Never tried conch - but guessing it might be similar and need some tender loving care to be good. I've always wanted to try abalone too, but haven't had the opportunity.

I could eat sushi every night, but the thing there is, you're essentially getting food in it's most native version. Some things (like octopus) need some complimentary flavors. When I live in Hawaii, you could buy 'Taco Poke' ('taco' is the Japanese word for octopus I believe), a salad made with seaweed, sesame oil, hot peppers, and octopus. Every grocery store sold it. You could also catch them at night. We would pound the tentacles, chop them up, and stir fry them with fresh vegetables. Nice! Never tried conch - but guessing it might be similar and need some tender loving care to be good. I've always wanted to try abalone too, but haven't had the opportunity.
Octopus like that actually sounds like it would be awesome, I'll have to check that out and try it.

The conch definitely isn't a thing that has to be made right, at least according to the Japanese people at the sushi bar I tried it at that laughed when I ordered it. They told me it was horrible, and that they have never met a fan of it.

It comes in thick, curly strips that look strange and literally smell like rotten meat. When you get it in your mouth, it is super slimy and the taste almost immediately makes you spit it out. When you try to chew it up, it's about what I would expect chewing on your tongue to feel like. When you swallow it, you have to struggle to keep it down, and I bet money you couldn't eat two pieces :laugh: I eat some weird stuff, but conch is the only thing I've ever regretted trying. Give it a whirl next time you get a chance, just so you can see.

I actually got so hooked on sushi that I learned how to make it. It came back to bite me in the ass though, because after having it for lunch, dinner or both every day for about a week straight, I had the worst stomach pains. i think it gets to a point where you can't do the ones with raw fish on a consistent basis without some sort of break.

I've never tried the pigs brains with eggs, but have eaten and like all the rest except for the oysters. Not real big lover of raw oysters.

There's isn't any type of sushi / sashimi I don't like except for salmon. Salmon is one of the very few foods that just doesn't do it for me, unless it's Lox and cream cheese on a bagel, or in scrambled eggs with some onion. I can't get enough octopus, raw or cooked. It's good as Ceviche (Peru), or Polpo (Italian) salad if you don't like it raw. I could eat it daily. Depending what region of Italy, there are many recipes for Polpo. I've only had sea urchin once, but liked it. Very hard to get down here.

Extreme, you now know a big fan of conch. I even eat it cooked from time to time as fritters.

One of my favorites is Trippa (tripe). It's old world food. My mom would make it from time to time, but now I get it from our friends restaurant. He make it about once a month, being only a few of the regulars like it.

My wife hates to even get it for me, but I'm a lover of head cheese. Same goes for tongue.

Another food I love is chicken gizzards. Lightly breaded and fried are my favorite, and I could eat them by the pound from Chester chicken. In the roasting pan is just fine if the wife is doing a whole chicken in the oven. Turkey gizzards are the best, being three times the size.

Extreme, you now know a big fan of conch. I even eat it cooked from time to time as fritters.

One of my favorites is Trippa (tripe). It's old world food. My mom would make it from time to time, but now I get it from our friends restaurant. He make it about once a month, being only a few of the regulars like it.
An acquired taste to say the least, and I am honestly amazed to have heard of someone liking it.

My wife hates to even get it for me, but I'm a lover of head cheese. Same goes for tongue.
I have never had tongue, but I've always wanted to try it. I typically like weird foods, and I have heard it is like a sponge at absorbing flavor, so I'll get around to it one day if I have the opportunity. I have never had head cheese either, but I can't knock it until I try it, although looking at it can frighten small children :laugh:

Another food I love is chicken gizzards. Lightly breaded and fried are my favorite, and I could eat them by the pound from Chester chicken. In the roasting pan is just fine if the wife is doing a whole chicken in the oven. Turkey gizzards are the best, being three times the size.
Gizzards are delicious, but only fresh IMO. I can go up the street to the farmer's market and get them same day pulled from the butcher there. I have had previously frozen, and they just aren't as good to me.

My dad grew up on a pig/tobacco farm in NC back in the 50's, so I've inherited a lot of strange tastes from him, but more for me I guess, since my wife hates just about everything named in this thread outside of eel.

An acquired taste to say the least, and I am honestly amazed to have heard of someone liking it.

It has much to do with geographic location, and your roots. There are shops that sell nothing but prepared tripe in Northern Italy. If you eat breakfast sausage, you've eaten tripe without knowing .... beef and pork tripe are common filler in it. It's a common dish throughout the world, and you'll find variations from one area to the next on the recipes in each country. The US is the exception because our perception of, and wast of foods because we're a rich country, and have been misled. Why eat innards when we can eat prime cuts of meat is the mentality.

How many restaurants can you walk into and eat venison, rabbit, quail, ostrich, or squirrel ? We've been groomed to eat a set of foods seen to be the best of the choices, easily regulated and raised. Most people don't even know that rabbit is about the healthiest meat you can eat. Why isn't it a staple? Perception.... and the fazing out of such things by big business.

Tripe

I have never had tongue, but I've always wanted to try it. I typically like weird foods, and I have heard it is like a sponge at absorbing flavor, so I'll get around to it one day if I have the opportunity. I have never had head cheese either, but I can't knock it until I try it, although looking at it can frighten small children :laugh:

I've had tongue as a main dish, but I generally eat corned beef and tongue sandwiches. Growing up in New York City was an advantage when it comes to foods. The different neighborhoods with distinct ethnic backgrounds. Some even subdivided to specific regions of their home countries. It was easy to find a Jewish deli in NY. Head cheese is a bit scary to look at, and another food like tripe and tongue having it's roots in Europe.

The common thread here is that from the beginning of modern man, not much was wasted when it came to food supplies from animals. Much has stayed the same in much of the world, but we generally see and get the "sanitized" foods when we travel around the world. It's when you go to the non tourist areas you find the real cuisine of the land.

Head Cheese

Gizzards are delicious, but only fresh IMO. I can go up the street to the farmer's market and get them same day pulled from the butcher there. I have had previously frozen, and they just aren't as good to me.

My dad grew up on a pig/tobacco farm in NC back in the 50's, so I've inherited a lot of strange tastes from him, but more for me I guess, since my wife hates just about everything named in this thread outside of eel.

Fresh anything is better than frozen any day of the week. I'm quite lucky, as my wife is also into, and willing to try many food most people won't even think of eating. I've gotten her into some foods, and she's gotten me into some. Our daughter.... she's never eaten off a kids menu. She was taught to never knock it till you try it. My wife had made squid for herself 25 some odd years ago, and swore she would never eat it again. I made it for her on her birthday when we were dating, and she loves the stuff, so you have to give some things a second chance, and try it from different cuisines.

Lessee -

How 'bout those mystery "meats" that come in the PHO!? Mmmm tendon...

Anchovies rock. Samon skin = heart healthy "bacon".

But lately I've been eating as much of the (any) fruit as possible & it's been GREAT! Pineapple skin is surprisingly tender. Apple seeds give a hearty nuttiness to an old standby. And grapeseeds are an elixr... but where can you find 'em these days? Damn I miss those...

Being a Tribesman, I used to eat tongue when I was a kid. My mom would slice it up and I'd have it on rye with mustard. It's pretty good.

I don't recommend looking at it before it's sliced up though, because it really is just a big disembodied tongue.

Being a Tribesman, I used to eat tongue when I was a kid. My mom would slice it up and I'd have it on rye with mustard. It's pretty good.

I don't recommend looking at it before it's sliced up though, because it really is just a big disembodied tongue.

When I lived in Indianapolis in the early 1970s Shapiro's Deli had the best tongue sandwiches I've ever tried. Their corned beef was to die for too!

I remember chasing my sisters around the supermarket with one while making cow noises. It really freaked them out being we had spent about two weeks at my aunts dairy farm in CT not long before, and the cows would often lick you.

For the record - beef tounge rocks. Gotta have the right mustard or horseradish, tho!

spam
sushi
raw hamburger meat
I eat spam at least once a week, I can't get enough of it. It probably gets a worse rap than most food, and definitely gets joked more than most food. Never tried raw beef, but I know a lot of people who swear it's good.

I freely admit, I just don't have the balls to try it. With my luck, I'd end up in the hospital with e. coli.

Or a tapeworm. The thought of parasites is all it takes for me to stay away from raw beef.

You guys reminded me of a childhood favorite, liverwurst. What can I say - I was a weird kid :) There was a deli/beer joint across from my fraternity house in college called Durty Nelly's that I damn near lived at partially because they made the most amazing liverwurst sub ever.

I tried to make an authentic tripe soup once based on an authentic recipe supposedly one of Jefferson's (Thomas, not George) favorites. It tasted like **** soup. Seriously. Even I had to just say no. If anyone has a good tripe recipe, I'd be open to trying it again though.

Apparently Virginia Beach is now somehow being overrun with urchins along the beach. I've been here my whole life, and have never seen one unless it was a picture or on tv.

Today I went and scooped some up, threw them in a bucket, and took them to my friend's to see what he could do for me, since he's a Japanese cuisine chef. He made a soup that looked like mustard and had a sorta strange peppery taste. It was different, but I was impressed. Pretty damn good, and I would definitely eat it again.

Boone, we have a few delis here that make the best liverwurst sandwiches you could ever imagine. I have to be in the mood for it, but it's great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.