• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Five Potential New Names for Washington’s Football Team from Sports Illustrated

More likely they've been exposed to their kids who have been home from college for months now

Hope all these folks realize this goes beyond football. The instigators are getting exactly what they want - people are going to have to choose sides. Virtue signalling and progress must prevail!

Hope all these folks realize this goes beyond football. The instigators are getting exactly what they want - people are going to have to choose sides. Virtue signalling and progress must prevail!
This is the true sign of the younger generation. Whine enough and you get your way. Most of these people wont care a damn bit after this, but those of us who have been fans for decades are left with this crap.

And at the beginning of the game, they could burn the flag while they play the National Anthem and everyone kneels

That'll work for some - but not all. But we may get lucky - after all of this the NFL players will almost certainly scribble onto their shoes and decorate unifiorms with "Unify" messages. It's the very least a young multi-millionaire can do!

Agreed. For me, making lite of the situation, while waiting for a change to actually happen, is just a way to spend my final days with it.

As fucked as the team is, our country is quadruple fucked. And it's the same people responsible for all of it.

You guys have been asked nicely to leave your personal politics at the door. And guys - we're not stupid. We understand that, by definition, the whole name change controversy is political. We want you to be able to discuss it here. Where it crosses into territory we're not comfortable with is folks dragging their personal political platforms/agendas into the discussion. It's possible to discuss 'political correctness' and engage in a general discussion without making it about you and your personal political beliefs. We're not saying those beliefs aren't valid. We're just saying we've tried to let folks speak their minds on all topics here in a civil, respectful manner, and people weren't up to the challenge.

Last edited:
I will respect your wishes, but nothing is more personal than this. My 6 year old son watched his first season with me last year and was asking me about them just the other day. That means it was passed from my grandfather to my father, to me, to my son....and now it is gone.

I will respect your wishes, but this is about as personal as it gets for me.

A lot has happened since Henry and I were going back and forth the other day... does anyone believe it's 'IF' at this point? I can't imagine it's not going to happen, and soon. My position has always been 'I'm out' if it happens. I'm sort of forcing myself to wait and see where I'm at once I know what we're talking about. Not a big believer in making emotionally-based decisions in the moment. That's my Dad advice for the rest of you out there. Take a deep breath. See what happens. There will be plenty of time to decide once the dust settles.

Count me as an "if" guy.

Yeah, I can read the writing on the wall.

But I'm still the same guy who, alone, sat on the edge of my seat, rockin back and forth, saying,
"we just need 1 friggin play to get back in it", in the face of certain defeat. And then, The Monday Night Miracle happened.
I've spent my entire Redskins fandom fervently believing, it ain't over 'til it's over. That will not change now.

I've also not made a definitive decision on what I'll do if it does happen. It's obvious where I'm leaning. But, I can be surprised.
Emotion will not dictate my decision, alone. But as Mike said, this is very personal. So, emotion will be involved.

That’s exactly what I’d expect of a great fan Ax. Mike - I hope you’ll keep an open mind and give it time too.

There is no way that this is any longer an ‘if’.

Well, every party has a pooper. That's why we invited you!

Just bustin your balls, my friend.

I have been seeing fans of the Redskins now calling the name racist...I mean, really? You have been rooting for a team for how long, and all of a sudden you had an epiphany?

It’s just herd mentality. People want to be accepted and that is how they think they will be accepted. It’s why peer pressure is so effective. Everyone wants to be accepted and will do whatever it takes. A few years ago, I heard the term “wrong side of history” applied to the supporters of the Redskins name. I realized then that was the tactic being used to drum up opposition to the name. They wanted people to think that all of history after us would judge us harshly as Redskins fans. That is why you see lifelong fans, longtime reporters, and everyone with no affiliation now suddenly having a problem with the name.

it would be the hardest pill I have had to swallow if I did. loyalty to the name and history are why I stuck around after 30 years of mediocrity.

Some of my earliest football memories are the sweet time. Riggo busing that run, Doug having a meh season (LOL), the posse, the fun bunch, the smurfs, the hogs, capital defense...just so many good times. All tied to the Redskins name.

My gosh...the band is going to be gone. The song I have sung since I was old enough to walk is no more...I'm just having a hard time wrapping my brain around it as is. To roll over and say "oh well, I can accept this" would take a miracle. which means my wife or children will ask me to...

I don't think this is something that has just shifted toward legit change.. my conspiracy theory brain thinks that there is a lot more to this story, and I can connect some tangible dots that could easily mean Dan Snyder does not own this team much longer.

1. Nike pulls out. They're under contract as officially licensed apparel for the NFL. There is no way they can do that without the NFL signing off on it. If there's one thing the NFL likes, it's money.... The NFL has radio silence through this episode of change the name, and to allow a manufacturer to breach a contract and remove the ability to turn a profit on merchandise that have already been produced.... The NFL is smarter than that. They didn't just stop producing Redskins gear with a 'sold out' across their website. They pulled it off the shelf. There's a warehouse now that has boxes of tag on merchandise sitting somewhere.

2. Fedex pulls out. That means the current lease of 1600 Fedex way is not getting paid for by the corporate sponsor. I don't know the exact $$ amount but I can't imagine it's an inexpensive monthly cost.

3. 40% share of the minority owners are now wanting out, completely removing any doubt that Snyder is basically impossible to work with in the process. Thus making it very unlikely that anyone will have an actual interest in buying into the team in it's current state.

4. The name change. The cost of changing the name of a team is anyone's guess, but I can't figure that's cheap either. Renderings, re-branding, new merchandise, stadium and facility renovations... all of it. Meanwhile all the old stuff is now obsolete. Is nuclear to 95% of the US population. Chances are it won't move. There will be die hards, collectors, and purists that may still invest, but Redskins gear likely no longer moves off the shelves with any real momentum.

Now that those points are made... I ask you. How is Dan Snyder, who's only truly profitable entity is the Washington Redskins, going to pay for the lease of the stadium, buy out the 40% of ownership void left by the fact that minority owners want out and it's unlikely anyone else wants in, re-brand a team, supply new gear, build a new stadium, and own a franchise..... while not selling gear, no fans in the stands, and what would appear to be no help from the NFL.

Put your tin foil hats on boys, I'm gonna blow your mind.... theory alert..

Jeff Bezos has been in the ear of the NFL since his name was floated out there in November.... and even before that. I think the NFL is icing Snyder out because they want to open the door for Bezos to buy the team. They kill about 4 birds with 1 stone, and Bezos likely will not be open to being a minority owner.... he wants the whole thing, or at a minimum... 51%

1. Get rid of Snyder
2. Bring in a WEALTHY replacement with marketing and powerful pull
3. New Stadium deal which opens the door for Superbowl / Probowl, as well as World Cup hosting in 2026.
4. They don't have to listen to the anti-Redskin march any more.

I wonder how hard Snyder is willing to fight to keep the team if it's no longer the Washington Redskins... and how much easier he'd be willing to part ways.... He's always said he's a fan first.

He's also a controlling, petty, spiteful SOB. I think there's a lot of smart dot-connecting in your post. I just wouldn't underestimate the stubbornness and spitefulness of Daniel Snyder. They're going to have to pry the gun from his cold, dead, fingers.

He's also a controlling, petty, spiteful SOB. I think there's a lot of smart dot-connecting in your post. I just wouldn't underestimate the stubbornness and spitefulness of Daniel Snyder. They're going to have to pry the gun from his cold, dead, fingers.

That's why I brought up the name change... I don't think he fights as hard for the Washington Warriors as he does the Washington Redskins.

In fact, apparently him and Rivera have already discussed the new name and and have narrowed it down. It wasn't that long ago that Snyder said he would NEVER change the name. The team is worth an estimated $3.1 BILLION. Snyder being majority owner can likely clear almost $1 Billion, hop on his mega yacht and live in the Mediterranean for the rest of his life.

I guess my question would be, if he were desiring/willing to sell, why wouldn't he have already done so by now? He's viewed as an abject failure, attacked and vilified in the press every day, hated by fans, and is now a social pariah and being forced to do something he promised fans he'd never do. If he were open to selling, seems to me he'd never have a better opportunity than right now where he could do it under the guise of 'I'll let the team go before I change the name'. Instead, he seems to be caving like a house of cards and 'working with' the new Head Coach to actively make the name change happen. Doesn't sound like a guy on the verge of cashing in and walking away to me.

Now if you are saying he's going to be 'forced out' - I suppose that's more of a possibility, although I don't see how he can be if he's seemingly agreeable to changing the name. I'll admit, I don't know what the rumors of the minority owners getting out is all about.

seriously, fuck DC. The mayor is now taking this opportunity to say "we need more diversity in ownership" and the name "is hardly the only issue"

I wish we could still punch people in the mouth for talking dumb. It would solve so many things...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.