• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Firearm Thread

Maryland has been home for 50+ yrs of my life. Beautiful mountains to the west. Beautiful ocean to the east. Awesome Bay in the middle, kinda. Lots of lush farmland all over. Good, hard working people occupy most of state's acreage.

But 5-6 counties in the middle of it make it a modern day political shithole. The depth of stupidity that oozes out of Annapolis, especially the gun laws, is too embedded for me to ever see it change in my lifetime. Unfortunately for me, it's not fiscally smart to leave, yet. If I make it to retirement, it won't be lived here.
Promise. Cross my heart and hope to die.
Yeah, for my retirement I will b e heading back to Florida. NO state income tax.

good, thanks for asking. The wife is going to take it now because the instructor's wife does the course as well, but just for women.

I almost got a CCP a number of years ago. My wife isn't what you would call a supporter of the second amendment, so I didn't do it. I'm revisiting those thoughts at this point. Things are getting too crazy out there at this point. I can open carry here in Fl without a permit under some circumstances... camping, fishing, at the range, and too and from those activities with the weapon in a box on the seat, glove box, or console storage. Have a friend who open carries on his motorcycle, and travels all over the state... he always has a folding fishing rod on the bike.... the loop hole. Just not sure where to go on this. I know it will make the wife very uncomfortable if I was to carry while we were out and about. So I find myself at the same point. I don't want to do it behind her back, but haven't a clue on how to get her to understand. I've also been thinking of upgrading my home defense weapons. Looking at semi-auto, gas operated 12ga, clip fed. I have a 12ga pump, and it's modified so you can just hold the trigger and pump to fire. The down shot is reloading, and capacity. The thought of 10 round clips is nice, but is it overkill. Is the pump enough with 5 in the tube, and one chambered ? Been looking at this little darling....
ati-bulldog-12-shotgun-atig12bdb-819644026037-4.jpg

My wife won't touch a weapon but is not philosophically opposed. I can't help you on the concealed carry aspect. Sometimes, we have to differ with our spouse and (for me anyway) not everything is a 'joint decision' and that works both ways. I wouldn't rely on a gas-fed weapon of any kind as my home defense weapon. If you were going to go with a shotgun, best bet is an over-under which cannot jam or fail. Yeah, it only has 2 rounds, but the sound of a shotgun firing is going to be pretty intimidating and it is quick to reload. Although I keep a 10 round 9 millimeter by my bedside (it's in a touch button gun mini-safe), the best home defense pistol by far is a revolver for the same reasons. Cannot jam. On the other hand, that thing looks like evil incarnate, and fun, and it may be reliable as hell :)

I think I mentioned that I don't typically 'carry' (as in have a weapon on my person) out in public. I always have a weapon in my vehicle/home ready to go. But I may have to change my attitude about that if things don't calm down.

Yeah, my wife was not onboard at all either. But, after months and months of wearing her down and giving her the "SEE?!!" treatment to the news and current events she actually got me the course. She says she wants to take it herself now. I am not going to carry all the time, but if I have to go to a city or even to town I will be. I just dont trust the people any longer. Its so sad to say, but I dont know who is crazy and who isnt anymore so I am just going to trust everyone like they are crazy.

My wife won't touch a weapon but is not philosophically opposed. I can't help you on the concealed carry aspect. Sometimes, we have to differ with our spouse and (for me anyway) not everything is a 'joint decision' and that works both ways. I wouldn't rely on a gas-fed weapon of any kind as my home defense weapon. If you were going to go with a shotgun, best bet is an over-under which cannot jam or fail. Yeah, it only has 2 rounds, but the sound of a shotgun firing is going to be pretty intimidating and it is quick to reload. Although I keep a 10 round 9 millimeter by my bedside (it's in a touch button gun mini-safe), the best home defense pistol by far is a revolver for the same reasons. Cannot jam. On the other hand, that thing looks like evil incarnate, and fun, and it may be reliable as hell :)

I think I mentioned that I don't typically 'carry' (as in have a weapon on my person) out in public. I always have a weapon in my vehicle/home ready to go. But I may have to change my attitude about that if things don't calm down.
I do have a side by side, and yes, very quick to reload. Hadn't really thought about jamming. I does have good reviews, but again, it's likely over kill for the house. I have problems shouldering anything with real recoil, so a pistol grip and fore grip are ideal. I should likely change out the stock and forearm on the pump, and be done with it.

I have 2 shotguns. wife says "why do you need 2?" I says "one is for hunting animals, one is for putting down animals" :)

my home shotgun is loaded with dove and quail. it will hit you, maybe some drywall, but we dont have to worry about it exiting the exterior walls and any innocent bystander getting shot.

I was told something at my course that made me think more, too. "What is your escape route if you have an intruder?"
he told me he has code words for the family to go to certain rooms, has taught them how to open windows and lower rope ladders.

he told all of us to walk our homes at night in the dark so we know what is where and how to get around. to sit and listen to the noises your home makes so you know what is normal.

he then had us load and unload mags with our weak hand doing the work. when asked why he said "what if you are in a cast and need to reload?"
he then had us do it solely with one hand but let us use our stronger hand. when asked why he said "what if you are shot and cant use your arm?"

everything you do to your weapon will be scrutinized and put on trial if you ever use it. that RIP bullet with the extra hollow points that are teflon coated designed to go through and "destroy anyone" will be questioned. The night site you put on it, too. why? "because you went above the norm to 'make sure you killed someone'"

it was so eye opening and kind of frightening in a way. what you say on your 911 call will be used in court. "I dropped him" sounds callous or like you had a plan. you may even when the court case, but then there is the civil one. they told us about a man who shot/killed an armed intruder who came in his daughter's window. the baby mama sued him for child support of the 12 year old child they had. even though the man had NEVER paid it in his life, she felt owed. he ended up settling out of court for $75k because he knew he was going to lose it.

Suppose I’m pretty lucky on that front, my wife’s prior military and she’s excited to jump in the next MN carry class. We’re well stocked so a new firearm for me would take points off of my fishing habit.

Pete I agree with these guys on an auto shotgun, they’re better off used with skeet or duck/pheasant hunting. I have two 12 gauges, a 6 shot weatherby & a H&R 6 shot pump. If shoulder shove needs to be limited I would suggest maybe a short pump 20 gauge that can be handled well in hallways and such. if the 12 ga is a must look for one with a fluted barrel to minimize recoil. Here’s the type of 12 I own.
04BAB403-4F22-4B18-ABF1-EEC553D3FA72.jpeg

Our carry course didn’t touch on the 911 call so much but did ring home the manner of your statement can be used against you. Like saying you wanted to ‘stop’ the intruder rather than ‘shoot’ him. Semantics I know but it’s best to not say shit until you’ve spoken with a lawyer.

Suppose I’m pretty lucky on that front, my wife’s prior military and she’s excited to jump in the next MN carry class. We’re well stocked so a new firearm for me would take points off of my fishing habit.

Pete I agree with these guys on an auto shotgun, they’re better off used with skeet or duck/pheasant hunting. I have two 12 gauges, a 6 shot weatherby & a H&R 6 shot pump. If shoulder shove needs to be limited I would suggest maybe a short pump 20 gauge that can be handled well in hallways and such. if the 12 ga is a must look for one with a fluted barrel to minimize recoil. Here’s the type of 12 I own.
View attachment 4633

Our carry course didn’t touch on the 911 call so much but did ring home the manner of your statement can be used against you. Like saying you wanted to ‘stop’ the intruder rather than ‘shoot’ him. Semantics I know but it’s best to not say shit until you’ve spoken with a lawyer.
A class I took many years back through a friend in law enforcement was an "entry" class for shotguns. They taught us to put the stock under your arm to shorten the weapon for better maneuverability. Worked well with my pump, and would surely work better with the pistol grip stock like your shotgun. In a house, you're generally close in, so sights aren't a big deal, more of a point and shoot... I have an 18" barrel so I get a good spread. I do load buck shot, being if it came to having to defend the house, I want to do as much damage with each shot.

No doubt, I usually use 00 or 000 buck shot for defense rounds. This vid shows the different degrees of energy with shot loads. Love these slow motion ballistic gel tests

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.