• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

ESPN: NFL to Announce Suspensions for Hits

Was just watching ESPN regarding the league policy on the "helmet hit" rule. They showed a clip of a Ray Lewis comment about how a player who made a hit like Harrison would be praised in the locker room. He thinks the hits by Harrison were not egregious.

Then Ray Anderson, executive VP of FB Operations, was asked about the Ray Lewis comments. He said, we need Ray to help us "change the Culture' in the NFL that says those types of hits that would "knock a player out" are not praised.

So now it has become a change of culture in the NFL? I will remind everyone of us who may agree with this, Dexter Manly...NFC Championship...Danny White, one of the greatest memories in Redskins' history if you ask many of us.

Anybody hear Howie Long today?

Words to the effect: " ....If the league is so worried about the safety of players, it shouldn't be advocating an eighteen game season. It should be advocating a fourteen game season."

I loved that.

Anybody hear Howie Long today?

Words to the effect: " ....If the league is so worried about the safety of players, it shouldn't be advocating an eighteen game season. It should be advocating a fourteen game season."

I loved that.

I did not see that, but have heard that thought voiced recently. For instance, here is Bill Simmons' take on it, makes some good points, particularly as it pertains to negotiations:

Bill Simmons said:
How 'bout the terrific writing on concussions by the New York Times' Alan Schwarz and the New Yorker's Malcolm Gladwell making everyone rethink the wisdom of football players returning too soon after concussions and changing the way teams approached that specific injury, only now it's swung too far and made the NFL think it can control every impulse or reaction of football players. These guys have spent their entire careers being taught, "If anyone goes over the middle, you deck them" and being glorified on segments like "Jacked Up" -- in which multiple announcers cackled in delight during a weekly montage of players getting laid out with hard hits, and ohbytheway, this was only two years ago, and ohbytheway, some of those same announcers who cackled in delight have now ascended Mount Pious (my friend Dameshek's term) and excoriated people like Meriweather and James Harrison for doing things that, ohbytheway, would have absolutely been shown on "Jacked Up" -- and now we're telling these guys, "Wait, you can't do that anymore! BAD! STOP IT!" It's ludicrous.

I keep going back to the "bad parent" analogy and Roger Goodell, who's done a masterful job manipulating the mainstream media these past few years, benefitting mostly from the fact the previous regime was out of touch. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think Goodell is a total hypocrite for pretending to care about the welfare of his players as he's pushing for an 18-game regular season that would lead to more injuries, more concussions, more collateral damage, more everything. Hey, Roger: If you cared about the welfare of the players, you'd shorten the season to 15 games and add another week of byes. Right? But hey, that would cost owners money. Instead, you'll continue to position yourself as the Sheriff of Player Safety, puff out your chest, crack down on hard hits and swagger around like you're Tim Olyphant in "Justified." Meanwhile, if the players' union doesn't agree to your 18-game schedule, we're headed for a lockout.

Oh, and you know what else is great? NFL owners recently threatened the union that, if the lockout goes into effect next March, the league wouldn't cover health care benefits for its players until a new collective bargaining agreement is in place. So Roger, you care about the welfare of DeSean Jackson in October, but not five months from now if he's paying for his own doctor's appointments because he's suffering from post-concussion syndrome? You're going to tell us that with a straight face?

Some advice for Mr. Goodell: It's time to admit that your players have gotten too big and too fast. We knew this day was coming for 30 years. We're here. We have 260-pound linebackers who can run 4.6 40s, safeties who hit like Mack trucks and 375-pound offensive linemen who can wipe anyone out for a year if they fall on them the wrong way. This isn't about a style of play; it's about evolution. If you care about player safety as anything beyond an easy way to ingratiate yourself to media members who don't know any better, then stop worrying about the small picture (changing the rules on the fly during the season so it looks like you did something) and concentrate on the big picture (cutting back to 15 games, adding more byes and making sure your players still have their health benefits in April after you lock them out because the league and the players can't figure out how to split eleventy kajillion dollars in a fair way). And sorry for the tone, but this entire subject leaves me ... JACKED UP!!!!!!!!!!

More at Link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/101022_part2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.