• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Dwayne Haskins 'In my words...'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh. I think social media and any potential distraction it may be on them can be overblown. Payne has an active twitter account for example. Jon Allen's twitter even links to his webpage of him playing video games.

Meh. I think social media and any potential distraction it may be on them can be overblown. Payne has an active twitter account for example. Jon Allen's twitter even links to his webpage of him playing video games.
Yes, but neither is out there seeking attention any way they can...just a simple account of today's youth. Then there are the Haskins and Guice types who need daily affirmation from the twitter account.

I dunno. Why aren't Haskins' and Guice's twitter accounts also "simple accounts of today's youth"? Just by nature of being higher profile positions - qb and rb, compared to d-tackles, they may get more attention from media and fans, but I don't think there is any grand difference. All the people in their generation grew up naturally using social media.

I dunno. Why aren't Haskins' and Guice's twitter accounts also "simple accounts of today's youth"? Just by nature of being higher profile positions - qb and rb, compared to d-tackles, they may get more attention from media and fans, but I don't think there is any grand difference. All the people in their generation grew up naturally using social media.
You really cannot see the difference?

Someone clearly needs to run a social media study comparing and contrasting actual numbers of posts by young athletes. And assessing their intent/motivation as well, of course.

Not really. They all post. Just because you pay attention to one more than another, I still think they all basically use social media for the same reasons.
I think you're missing the content of the social media posts are different. Jonathan Allen posting something about fishing, as opposed to Guice posting an image of him on a yacht with a bunch of women at the onset of as pandemic is a bit different,
optics...it's all about optics.

Optics are subjective. Guice’s posts look and resonate quite different to chesty young Gen Z’ers and their contemporaries than they do judgey old white men like us. :cool:

Of course you also have to factor in that traditionally, linemen aren’t as sought out for their opinion as QBs and offensive skill positions are....

They're just kids! Until, of course, one of them twits something members of this board might not like. Then all H breaks loose and this person is not a Skin and shoulkd be traded or cut; then all H breaks loose cuz this person violated a sacred lockerroom trust.

It's so hard being virtuous these daze! I'm so confusilated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Optics are subjective. Guice’s posts look and resonate quite different to chesty young Gen Z’ers and their contemporaries than they do judgey old white men like us. :cool:

Right, because I am an old "white" man I cannot possibly understand what is going on when I see a RB who has never played more than a couple games in the NFL post pictures of himself on social media with a group of people in a confined area when we are in the midst of a f***ing pandemic, but a guy posting pictures fishing...by himself...is expressing the same thing, pretty similar optics if you ask me. Suuuure, that's a reasonable conclusion...even for an old "white" guy.

I don't think anyone's talking about 'one picture' (or they shouldn't be anyway). I think it's fair to say some players are far more 'look at me' than others in how they post on social media, and some also display a seeming 'sensitivity' and 'fragility' on social media we'd rather not see in our football stars. Others manage to have a social media presence without reflecting those things. But I think it's also true that the generational dynamic is (and likely always has been) that these younger folks have no respect, dignity, or appreciation for how to conduct themselves. Isn't that how older people have spoken about younger people for eons?

I'll admit some of what I perceive to be nonsense I see posted by my team's players on social media irks me. I AM a Boomer. That makes me better than x, y, z, m, and whatever else comes along :) In the grand scheme of things I'm not sure it will greatly impact much of anything (although it didn't help pave the way for success of guys like RG3 during his brief time in DC).

Bottom line - if a player is performing at a high level, we don't seem to care nearly as much if they are flamboyant or dramatic on social media.

Right, because I am an old "white" man I cannot possibly understand what is going on when I see a RB who has never played more than a couple games in the NFL post pictures of himself on social media with a group of people in a confined area when we are in the midst of a f***ing pandemic, but a guy posting pictures fishing...by himself...is expressing the same thing, pretty similar optics if you ask me. Suuuure, that's a reasonable conclusion...even for an old "white" guy.
Didn't mean to touch a nerve. Perhaps I just should have said "judgey old guys". The "white" part was more about me than anyone else--it's the only perspective I can truly draw upon.

Optics are subjective. Both for the sender and receiver. They pass through the filters each of us develop via our life experiences. That's my point.

You realize, of course, th
Didn't mean to touch a nerve. Perhaps I just should have said "judgey old guys". The "white" part was more about me than anyone else--it's the only perspective I can truly draw upon.

Optics are subjective. Both for the sender and receiver. They pass through the filters each of us develop via our life experiences. That's my point.

You certainly realize that that position applies across the board to all social media then....like...say.....boards!

Just having fun.

Here's another thought. Of course our perspectives, as Om intimated, cannot help but be colored and shaped by our own unique life experiences and belief systems. It is unavoidable.

On the other hand, ideally we all try not to drag our personal life philosophy and worldview into every conversation regardless of how trivial or mundane the topic? Sometimes there isn't an agenda, a conspiracy, or some grand societal truth to be revealed :) The thread is about Dwayne Haskins and what he has learned as a young NFL QB so far. Not to say threads/conversations don't have a life of their own and should go where they go. We almost always allow them to go where they will. But the constant insertion of what things 'really mean' - it gets tiresome (for me anyway).

Let me say I agree with you to a certain point, you are correct in that the mentality of certain positions may play into it, but then I just would wonder how Albert Haynesworth would handle social media as a 21 or 22 year old, Warren Sapp...the prima Dona DL's of the past. It isn't isolated to position and these guys, Haskins and Guice, tend to be far more active than any other members of the team...and after a little research, that's an accurate statement.

But hell, I am active on social media too, and am cantankerous, and can be a bit of an attention whore at times, too...huh?

And Om...

I had just read 2 separate stories just a little while before I read your post...one linking aging white men with the outbreak of Covid and the other eliminating aging white men from being permitted to judge Nancy Pelosi's new relief package. I tire of the incessant attacks I see consistently from media sources that are supposed to be mainstream.

If you're intent was not to link aging white man with the woes of the world, then I apologize for rushing to judgment. But being the social justice warrior I know you can be, I immediately came to that conclusion.

Now let's get back to interpreting Dwayne Haskins words...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.