• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Dwayne Haskins 'In my words...'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
In my words: Dwayne Haskins Shares the Experiences of His 1st Year in the NFL

It was April 25, 2019, and the Washington Redskins were on the clock.[/B] Friends, family and mentors surrounded me as burgundy and gold flashed on the screen.

I was actually in Nashville before the NFL draft for some marketing opportunities. People asked, "Why are you going home?" The answer was simple: family is very important to me. You can only take five people to the draft, and I have at least 15 cousins.
Instead, I decided to rent out a bowling alley that my family went to when I was in high school. It was a cool little event. There was a VIP section for my close family and all the people that I'm really close with. I packed the place with all the cousins, nieces and nephews I could.

There was also the chance that the Redskins were going to draft me, so I wanted to be close to home.
This was the realization of a dream coming true. I started playing football when I was eight years old and playing quarterback when I was 10. From that point on, I dreamed of being an NFL quarterback. I had literally watched every single draft from pick one all the way to 256. It was like Christmas Eve. I watched going back to Calvin Johnson in 2008. I would watch literally every draft.

I always dreamed of being drafted. Now it was about to happen.
The pick was in, and my phone started to ring. The Redskins were drafting me. Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the pick as my family cheered.
And my life changed forever.

Click HERE to read the rest of the story on www.redskins.com

It's a bit of a puff piece. I think Haskins is a bright kid, but you can also see in some of his more veiled comments, a lot of confidence under the surface. He knows he has talent. That's a good thing, because all the good ones have that self-belief (bordering on arrogance). Just a matter of allowing himself to be coached and not allowing that confidence to become blind arrogance and selfishness. I think that is going to be one of the keys for Haskins - who is he listening to? Not gonna lie... the Morgan Moses as mentor comment scares me a little.

I agree, I think that's why I struggled to gel with RGIII from the off.
I enjoyed that 2012 season immensely, but his demeanor always seemed a little off for me to 'love' him as a player - if you know what I mean! I never warmed to Kirk either.

Yet Alex Smith I instantly liked from the minute he signed up. It was in the way he carried himself.
I'm hoping Haskins it more like Smith. Confident but also not blindly arrogant. I hope that last years dreadful record, and being around Smith may have grounded him.

We'll see this year I think.

what a great insight to what sounds like an intelligent young man. I am impressed with the humility and admitting his faults. He was not given a good hand last year, but this year he has to prove it with no excuses.

Not gonna lie... the Morgan Moses as mentor comment scares me a little.

Me too. I hope it doesn’t result in a spate of false start penalties.

Good read, and nice insight from Haskins.

It is a bit surprising about Moses. But, as much as he gets penalized and whatnot, he guts out injuries and each and every week. I'm sure all his teammates respect that.

Moses may suck ON the field...but, he might be a great influence OFF the field.

I, Dwayne Haskins, promise to keep my mouth shut until I start to win some meaningful games against quality teams. This restriction will extend to Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.

🍾🍾🍾🍾

To be fair BD - two things...

Firstly, no 1st round QB is ever going to avoid the media, social or otherwise. It's just not possible anymore. And other than making a few sideways passive/aggressive social media posts (stuff like, suggesting which free agents the team should sign, or posting 'me against the world' motivational BS) , Haskins has been absolutely tame compared to what many other NFL players engage in.

He's not exactly RG3 in that regard.

I hear what you're saying, but honestly he really hasn't done anything to warrant concern to this point.

That said, I share Boom---er, Bulldog's wish that Haskins eschew social media in favor of silence-pending-production (that's Boomer talk, whippersnappers), but I also realize that is a generational conceit. Today's top young high-profile QB's have grown up in a world where an active online presence is as normal to them as not wanting anyone to know what we were thinking or doing was to us.

even Tom Brady and LeBum James are active on social media during seasons.

I think even young Dwayne would relate to that.

That said, I share Boom---er, Bulldog's wish that Haskins eschew social media in favor of silence-pending-production (that's Boomer talk, whippersnappers), but I also realize that is a generational conceit. Today's top young high-profile QB's have grown up in a world where an active online presence is as normal to them as not wanting anyone to know what we were thinking or doing was to us.
So have players like Da'Ron Payne and Jonathan Allen. One thing I notice from many of the Alabama players, they tend not to be social media darlings. Have to wonder if Saban instills in them the importance of show it through action, not words.

Reactions: Om
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.