• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

DeAngelo Hall Released

“A little quick on the trigger: Deal on the table with D Hall, still waiting for confirmation with source.”

We'll see.

hall signed with lions
talk about quick.

I hope you're right... he's not the kind of player that can take a pay cut and remain on the team. I think they got it right betting that Moss is.

Detroit Lions ‏@DetroitLionsNFL

RT @ttwentyman: I can confirm from a source the DeAngelo Hall rumors to Detroit are false

oh well. sorry about that.

Don't worry about it, won't be the last false rumor on Twitter...

In the end I don't think it was solely about money. Hall was willing to restructure to a lower figure and even though he is 30 and on the downside likely would have been kept for an additional season IF he exhibited the kind of leadership and intangibles that the coaching staff and front office thought London Fletcher does.

After all, Fletcher is 38 years old, was hurt for much of last season and counts for a significant hit against the 2013 cap. And yet the team never asked him to even take a cut to come back.

That's called respect.

Hall never engendered any warm feelings from Shanahan IMO because he ran his mouth, often after being beaten soundly on plays he should have made and was a volatile presence on the team, taking a lot of penalties for a veteran player.

So, if Hall was a leader AND was willing to restructure down he would have been back for 2013.

I agree to a point. But the accent on the offense last year in the draft and free agency meant that there really wasn't going to be much immediate depth available in the backfield if the starters underperformed.

And that's what happened.

But in all fairness, when you have a unit that was ranked #30 in the NFL for much of the season in pass defense can you really get much worse?

It is still conceivable that the club can sign a veteran corner to pair with Wilson and then draft a talented player in Round 2 to develop for 2014.

It's one position.

We didn't just cut our entire offensive or defensive line :)

Hard to believe we let go of Hall apparently without a definite plan in place to replace him

With how quiet its been with Hall, I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't find a team and came back. I really don't want that to happen but I kind of see it now. I just don't think he can survive without a big contract for that big ego. Lets hope I'm wrong.

But in all fairness, when you have a unit that was ranked #30 in the NFL for much of the season in pass defense can you really get much worse?

People forget how bad our secondary was with Hall. Not just bad, but historically bad, as in "worst of all-time" bad.

Nick

Why, yes you can get much worse.
It could get so much worse, that it could offset or been a detriment to our ability to have become a #4 seed in the playoffs.
Yes, I understand that our tremendous offensive threats covered a multitude of sins on the defense. But the reality is, that the secondary could devolve to the point, that it could be bad enough to keep us out of the playoffs, and even create a losing record.
Also, the unit you have ranked at #30 in the NFL - I'm pretty sure that's the whole pass defense - and Hall was not the only player on the team who played poorly on pass defense. In fact, the Safeties were a much worse position than our Corners. Hall is just the unfair scapegoat for the entire pass defense. Believe me, if can get much worse.

With how quiet its been with Hall, I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't find a team and came back. I really don't want that to happen but I kind of see it now. I just don't think he can survive without a big contract for that big ego. Lets hope I'm wrong.

Hall signed with the Lions, and did so rather quickly

People forget how bad our secondary was with Hall. Not just bad, but historically bad, as in "worst of all-time" bad.

Nick

Hall was the best player on the secondary. And it wasnt even that close. While our corner play wasnt great it was our safeties that absolutely killed us.

We may not like Hall but losing him makes a bad secondary even worse. Thats not a good thing, even if the guy is mouthy and overpaid.

If we replace him with a cheaper, better corner (which is entirely possible) I'll be thrilled. But I think some of you may be overstating how poorly he performed.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Having the best player in a group that historically sucked isnt much to hang your hat on. He was extremely overpaid, he got on trouble all the time on the field. To me, he wasn't worth the money we paid him.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Oh, he DEFINITELY wasn't worth the money. I couldn't stand the yapping all the time. BUT... as Henry said, our secondary is now worse. That can certainly change, as I posted in the Talib thread, our strategy necessitates sitting out a little while longer then jumping in the bargain bin. Hall is not by any stretch irreplacable; but for right now, we haevn't replaced him.

With merriweather coming back and hopefully staying healthy it should get better
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Agreed. His presence for one half of football had an amazing impact on the D. IF he can stay healthy all year long...

Goal, why do you automatically assume we'll be worse by releasing one of the worst players on the team? I just don't understand the argument. He wasn't even mediocre, he was bad. The only thing he consistently did was give up TDs, huge plays and first downs, and got flagged.

Besides, you're assuming we have garbage on the bench. People assumed the same thing about Rob Jackson, and I thought he did pretty damn good. I doubt if anyone in the league played the position worse than Hall last year. You can't go down from the last spot. Because for someone to be worse than Hall, they'd have to have 0 INT, and be worse at tackling and deflecting passes than him, and that's virtually impossible. My 7 year old tackles better than Hall.

Swiping at the ball for 30 yards has never taken down any receiver.

Sorry Ex, I just disagree. Like I said, I don't think he was great, nor worth the money that was being paid to him, but I also don't think he was the worst in the league. I'm not sure I'm willing to agree with Henry that he was the best player in our secondary, but he sure as hell wasn't the worst. At WORST, he was the second best, and I'm not sure he WASN'T the best.

Which says a lot more about the rest of our secondary, frankly.

I think all of 'the sky is falling because we cut Hall' discussion is a bit premature.

We don't know which players the team is going to sign in the offseason at the cornerback position. We don't know who the team is going to draft in April.

And we don't know which players are going to be released after the draft and OTAs as teams reassess their rosters heading into training camp.

There is a lot of time until the opener in September.

Some guys become expendable because a draft pick comes in and beats him out. Other times a guy makes noise about wanting a new contract and becomes the subject of a trade the team didn't expect to make.

I don't think anyone is saying the sky is falling, BT. Our secondary is worse than it was a week ago. That's all. We've got plenty of time to fix it, but it's a situation that bears watching.

The sky definitely isn't falling. The release of Hall strengthens our secondary.

What the move forces is a recognition that based on RESULTS DeAngelo Hall was not worth anywhere close to the money he was being paid.

Cerrato and Co. signing him in 2009 to a $23M guaranteed deal were doing crystal meth and have to be forgiven in part for their insanity.

I get sick and tired of people defending Hall saying that because he occasionally gets a pick or causes a fumble that balances out the numerous other situations where he literally has cost us games.

Yes, last year he had a DECENT, solid performance against Dez Bryant in the finale.

BUT if you remember back to Bengals game last year or even the example of BOTH Dallas games the year before he got burned like toast.

Bryant in those two games in 2011 beat us almost solely on isolation plays against Hall on critical conversion downs.

The Redskins thankfully have moved on from the mindset that when a player has been booted from TWO or THREE other teams, we should pay the guy a big contract because obviously those other teams missed something.

In most cases, the guy for one reason or another is a dog.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.