CRAZY night in sports!

Happy hour starts in 5 minutes

Lanky Livingston

The Commissioner
Reaction score

Florida Atlantic

Case Keenum broke an FBS record while throwing 9 TD passes!

The Flyers lost to the Jets in a game that saw 17 combined goals! (Flyers were down 5-1 and 6-2 in points of this game, and game back to take a 7-6 lead before going down 9-8 with one minute left in regulation.

And of course, in St. Louis there was a little something in game 6 of the World Series that hasn't been done since 1993 to finish off one of the crazier World Series games of all time.

What a night! The math nerd in me wants to know what the probability of all three events happening on the same night (paging serv) - I'm guessing its gotta be around 10^-9 at the highest. Sadly, I didn't watch any of these games - I was watching last Sunday's The Walking Dead on my DVR. Sigh.

Last edited:

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score

Army

That's some crazy **** right there. As far as the world series goes, I hope the Rangers win, simply for the sake of Nolan Ryan. I have always been a huge fan of his, and he deserves it for getting screwed all them years as a player.

On the other hand, I am a Pujols fan too, so I wouldn't be heartbroken if they won either.

Burgundy Burner

Coaching Staff
Staff member
Reaction score

Virginia

My Virginia Cavs won last night on the road. That's all I care about from Thursday night. :drummer: :)

Don't care about the other stuff. Not gonna cheer for a Texas team or the other one. Ditto for those hockey teams. But yeah, some of that stuff is impressive.

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score

Indiana

Case Keenum broke an FBS record while throwing 9 TD passes!

The Flyers lost to the Jets in a game that saw 17 combined goals! (Flyers were down 5-1 and 6-2 in points of this game, and game back to take a 7-6 lead before going down 9-8 with one minute left in regulation.

And of course, in St. Louis there was a little something that hasn't been done since 1993 in game 6 of the World Series to finish off one of the crazier World Series games of all time.

What a night! The math nerd in me wants to know what the probability of all three events happening on the same night (paging serv) - I'm guessing its gotta be around 10^-9 at the largest. Sadly, I didn't watch any of these games - I was watching last Sunday's The Walking Dead on my DVR. Sigh.
Lanky, it wouldn't surprise me if someone did do some digging through baseball, college football, and hockey archives in an effort to calculate such odds based on the frequency of occurrence of similar events in those sports and then add the likelihood of something like that all occurring on the same day. My hat's off to whoever has the time and energy for that!

Just coming off the top of my head, however, I think 10^-9 may be underestimating it by a couple of orders of magnitude-something on the order of 10^-15 might well be the odds in this case. Of course-something people don't realize at times-any assignable probability means that the event can occur and that there's nothing abnormal about it-no "Laws of the Universe" are violated or anything just an extremely unlikely event has taken place.

Chris

The Owner's Favorite
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

It seems that cities win championships in bunches. The Mavs have already won in the NBA. If the Rangers win...uh oh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Private conversations
Help Users
    You haven't joined any rooms.
    Chat 0