• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Cousins

You would think so lanky, but I think the expectations wont be for average play (which would be an improvement) and if he doesnt play well right out of the gate, and at least give us hope, he wont get much slack. he has little margin for erroe, he has to play decently at worst or he will get pilloried.

he'll have a broad window. the only thing that will undercut his stature with the fans, IMO, will be the "stupid" factor (expressing Lanky's idea a different way). we have had 20 years of seeing stupid - we all know it instinctively by now. which means we also know when smart is on the field. I think he'll do just fine. we'll all have to wait and see whether he maintains composure under NFL speed and physical violence - we know what the defensive template is for dealing with rookie QBs afterall. as long as I see composure, good decisions, improving execution - and little to no "stupid".....I'll be focused on improving the talent around RG.

he'll have a broad window. the only thing that will undercut his stature with the fans, IMO, will be the "stupid" factor (expressing Lanky's idea a different way). we have had 20 years of seeing stupid - we all know it instinctively by now.....

I'd personally be a wee bit more kind to QBs of recent years and use the word "panic" instead of "stupid", but I think we're essentially talking about the same thing.
I really think all our recent ex QBs (especially Campbell) would do a lot better under the tutelage of a decent shrink :lipsrsealed2:
Anyone check out Burgundy Burner's link on Cousins?
Interesting stuff about decision making in there.

I think RG3 and Cousins are both smart enough to do us some good.

I'd personally be a wee bit more kind to QBs of recent years and use the word "panic" instead of "stupid", but I think we're essentially talking about the same thing.
I really think all our recent ex QBs (especially Campbell) would do a lot better under the tutelage of a decent shrink :lipsrsealed2:
Anyone check out Burgundy Burner's link on Cousins?
Interesting stuff about decision making in there.

I think RG3 and Cousins are both smart enough to do us some good.

stated for effect...but we're on the same page. we know what competence in a QB is all about hvaing seen various weaknesses/lapses. as long as the signals are there...I think the fan base will focus its attention elsewhere.

I read BB's article on Cousins - and I'll be honest, sounded to me like he was having problems managing the demands/stress of being a big-time college QB. Not judging - what normal human being wouldn't feel the pressures of that role? But I think it points to a possible weakness, not a strength, that he's been involved in a program to help him deal with it. Watching mini-camp film of RG3 and Cousins side-by-side, I don't think the difference could be any starker. Even in drills, Griffin looks natural and relaxed, Cousins looks awkward and, well, like a rookie. Not saying Cousins isn't a smart, talented guy. He may be an NFL starter someday, who knows. But there's a reason he wasn't selected in the first round.

which is exactly why all the hysteria about Cousins coming and taking over the Redskins and leaving a big controversy over what to do with Griffin then was simply a media driven exercise to create an issue to sell time :)

let's face it. The Redskins draft and free agent signings versus what has happened in years past is NORMAL and a bit BORING except for Griffin.

So, people had to look for a controversy surrounding Griffin and because he didn't have any pesonal skeletons that were found, the media had to look to the Cousins pick.

which is exactly why all the hysteria about Cousins coming and taking over the Redskins and leaving a big controversy over what to do with Griffin then was simply a media driven exercise to create an issue to sell time :)

Bulldog, if the John Beck Experience has shown us anything it's that the Other Guy doesn't have to be any good for there to be a controversy.

Anyway, some of you seem to be suggesting that since Cousins isn't apparently NFL-ready, that somehow vindicates spending a pick on him. I'm not so sure that makes me feel better about the pick. :)

let's face it. The Redskins draft and free agent signings versus what has happened in years past is NORMAL and a bit BORING except for Griffin.

So, people had to look for a controversy surrounding Griffin and because he didn't have any pesonal skeletons that were found, the media had to look to the Cousins pick.

Again, I just think it was a dumb pick. Didn't need A Vast Media Conspiracy to convince me.

Bulldog, if the John Beck Experience has shown us anything it's that the Other Guy doesn't have to be any good for there to be a controversy.
I think that is more true when the first guy isn't any good. That is not going to happen this time around.

Let's keep in mind Hall of Famer Troy Aikman began 0-11 as a starter.

And Dallas drafted two 1st round QB's that year. There were gaping holes in that 1-15 Dallas squad, but they spent two 1st round picks on QB's that year.

And Lanky, had Omar Bolden been chosen, you would have lost the Draft contest! ;)

E the Cowboys took Walsh with a supplementary draft pick that year, slightly different than straight up drafting him along with Aikman.

E the Cowboys took Walsh with a supplementary draft pick that year, slightly different than straight up drafting him along with Aikman.

I know CT, but they were both drafted in the same year and it cost them a first round pick for both players.

How does that change the fact that Dallas had many, many holes and "wasted" a 1st round pick, albeit the following year?

Let me say, I think that was a wise decision for Dallas and I think the Cousins pick was a good one. I was just using that as an example since someone brought Aikman into the discussion as a situation where fans were up in arms about the record their future HoF QB had his 1st season and the likelihood our "future HoF" QB will be successful his first season. I think there are similarities.

Edit: There will be some fans who will get upset if Griff loses 11 or more games this season. But I think the majority of fans will realize he is our future and they will give him the benefit of the doubt, at least I hope so.

Comparing the Grossman/Beck situation in 2011 to Griffin/Cousins in 2012 is like comparing a zebra with an elephant.

Whether a player the Redskins might have had their eye on went a pick or two before Cousins doesn't mean the Redskins didn't do the right thing in looking for value rather than merely selecting a OL or CB based on need.

It's about time that the Redskins start to make moves with the future in mind, not only the present.

The team lived in the here and now ONLY over the past 10 years and the results were less than satisfactory.

If Cousins was really rated a #2 pick on the Redskins board and they can bring him along to be a strong backup to Griffin over the next 2 years, we not only get the benefit of his play on the field in case Griffin gets injured but the opportunity to trade him as the Eagles have done with backups in the past for future value.

You only have to bring up the case fo AJ Feeley, who netted the Eagles a #2 pick from the Dolphins after starting 6 games!

Kevin Kolb yielded a #2 pick and Rodgers-Cromartie, a pro bowl corner. How many games did he start?

Comparing the Grossman/Beck situation in 2011 to Griffin/Cousins in 2012 is like comparing a zebra with an elephant.

Fine. You prefer Colt Brennan? Tim Hasselbeck? Todd Husak? Babe Laufenberg?

If the starter struggles, the guy who never takes a snap gets the love, even if he sucks. If you want to think this time it's different because you like our starter who, by the way, has never taken a snap, more power to you.

Whether a player the Redskins might have had their eye on went a pick or two before Cousins doesn't mean the Redskins didn't do the right thing in looking for value rather than merely selecting a OL or CB based on need.

It's about time that the Redskins start to make moves with the future in mind, not only the present.

The team lived in the here and now ONLY over the past 10 years and the results were less than satisfactory.

If Cousins was really rated a #2 pick on the Redskins board and they can bring him along to be a strong backup to Griffin over the next 2 years, we not only get the benefit of his play on the field in case Griffin gets injured but the opportunity to trade him as the Eagles have done with backups in the past for future value.

I don't generally have a problem with going BPA. However, I seriously doubt the Redskins went purely BPA in this draft, seeing as how they picked three offensive linemen, an ILB and a couple corners. Sorry, but of all the times to go BPA, going that high up at that position is a head-scratcher.

You only have to bring up the case fo AJ Feeley, who netted the Eagles a #2 pick from the Dolphins after starting 6 games!

Kevin Kolb yielded a #2 pick and Rodgers-Cromartie, a pro bowl corner. How many games did he start?

Those guys are great reasons to draft a young prospect when you already have an established veteran starter on your team. Seeing as how McNabb was already a pro-bowler by the time either of them were drafted, comparing them to a pick like Cousins is a little like comparing a zebra with an elephant.

That's not true. Todd Husak, Babe Laufenberg and others in the Gibbs era never realistically had a chance to start. And no one was clamoring for them to do so.

It was fun to watch Babe in preseason bring the team back against scrubs in the fourth quarter but nobody thought the Redskins were going to put him out there against LT and the Giants come the regular season.

In recent seasons it was easy to make an argument over quarterbacks, one because none of the players that were starting were productive and second because the investmens in them was limited.

Yes, Campbell was a first round pick, but one taken at #25 overall. Not a top 10 selection with a big contract and expectations around the NFL for stardom.

Brunell (34) and Grossman (30) were third hand quarterbacks acquired in the secondary market with the realization their time was limited and in the latter case brought in as backups.

Yes, having a veteran that is already productive and adding a younger passer to develop or trade is the ideal scenario.

But you know what? The Redskins haven't managed their club from 2001-2010 in an ideal manner so there is no established passer with pro bowl experience. There is no luxury of adding in younger players that always have available mentors on the roster.

In the case of Griffin and Cousins the challenge is to come in and learn the playbook and the NFL and make their careers. It's Shanahan's job to help make that happen.

What is Mike supposed to do? Wait 3-4 years for Griffin to develop into a star and then HOPE that a capable backup and potential NFL starter is available and drops in the 2014 draft? :laugh:

You take the value where you find it :D

That's the thing about opportunities - you never know when they are going to come up.

I would have thought Mike would do what most other coaches do when drafting a top prospect at QB. Bring in an established veteran to back him up and show him the ropes. And we already even had that. Mike didn't need to DO anything. That's why this is such an odd pick.

But if, as you say, Cousins is a BPA pick and we were just so amazed he was still on the board, maybe we shouldn't be noting possible weaknesses in his game as some sort of proof that this pick should be above scrutiny.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.