• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Coronavirus - COVID19

One constant I've heard, from practically every rational person is, "I don't get the run on TP".
It's a bigger riddle than "Who shot J.R."

Mike said it started down under.

It did. A radio DJ down there did it as a prank and it just went off on viral videos.

Reactions: Ax
Thanks Mike. I thought that's what I remembered you saying. Shows how fast things can run off the rails with the speed of the internet.

One constant I've heard, from practically every rational person is, "I don't get the run on TP".
It's a bigger riddle than "Who shot J.R."

Mike said it started down under.

I don't know why it started but I read a great article explaining why shortages continue.

When we are all working and going out, bathroom usage is split almost equally between home and other places. Offices, restaurants, bars, etc all use commercial grade TP while consumers buy a personal grade of TP for the house. These two products are made in separate plants using different raw materials. Commercial TP is created using a high percentage of recycled goods while personal or consumer TP is made using almost 100% virgin wood pulp. Supply chains are not currently set up for all raw materials to go to all plants and the plants themselves are not set up to produce the other product.

All this means that we have doubled the use of home bathrooms meaning we use more TP at home but we have been unable to double the production of TP for home use.

• Hmm
I don't know why it started but I read a great article explaining why shortages continue.

When we are all working and going out, bathroom usage is split almost equally between home and other places. Offices, restaurants, bars, etc all use commercial grade TP while consumers buy a personal grade of TP for the house. These two products are made in separate plants using different raw materials. Commercial TP is created using a high percentage of recycled goods while personal or consumer TP is made using almost 100% virgin wood pulp. Supply chains are not currently set up for all raw materials to go to all plants and the plants themselves are not set up to produce the other product.

All this means that we have doubled the use of home bathrooms meaning we use more TP at home but we have been unable to double the production of TP for home use.

That is an interesting and logical post as to why. But I don't think most people thought of it that way. The majority of people throughout the world are not that logical. I've heard some psychological explanations about this as well having to do with risk aversion. But really it just comes down to herd mentality. People see hoarding of some product and they want to get theirs before it runs out.

That is an interesting and logical post as to why. But I don't think most people thought of it that way. The majority of people throughout the world are not that logical. I've heard some psychological explanations about this as well having to do with risk aversion. But really it just comes down to herd mentality. People see hoarding of some product and they want to get theirs before it runs out.

I have no doubt that is how this started, Kel. The shortages started before any kind of shelter-in-place or work-from-home orders were issued, at least here in Texas. Fear drove the start of this.

The explanation I offered is really about why it continues now that things have calmed down somewhat.

I have no doubt that there are other, reasonable, logical explanations for why certain sections of the grocery store shelves remain bear, as well. For example, while I know a lot of us continue to try to support local restaurants by ordering take-out or delivery, I doubt any of us are doing that with the frequency we once ate out. I know my family isn't and we didn't even eat out as much the reported average in the US. This means we are consuming more at home and so buying more at the grocery store.

Last edited:
you go ahead and keep that angle. You have no proof, but it is all yours.

I do know they stopped for a port call in VIET NAM mid March. I do know what SecNav Modly has stated. I do know that the BG CDR wasn't in on it and obviously didn't sign the letter: both careers are likely going to be terminated; promotion certainly will. I do know that what was communicated can be seen as classified information dealing with readiness for a deployed asset. I do know that the San Francisco Chronicle is not on any official Navy distribution list other than publicly releasable channels. I do know many Flags/COs have been relieved of command in PACFLT in the recent past.

I do understand chain-of-command and the UCMJ.

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting.

Where I live the TP vacated the shelves long before most were told to stay home.

Not that I want the discussion to go down this road.....but do you accept the premise that one half of bowel movements in one's life occur at work?

You been holding it all day all these years Al? You gotta learn to let go :)

Interesting.

Where I live the TP vacated the shelves long before most were told to stay home.

Not that I want the discussion to go down this road.....but do you accept the premise that one half of bowel movements in one's life occur at work?

Al, if you read my second post on this subject you will see where I admit that the same happened here and it was driven by fear. That is where the problem started for sure. This explanation is more about the ongoing shortage.

Also please notice that I said usage is split "nearly equally between home and other places". Those other places could be work, restaurants, bars, churches, parks, hotels or any other place that is not your house. I travel for business. I spent nearly a month of my life in 2019 in hotels. I wasn't in the office but I wasn't at home either. I think it is probably fair to say that adults who work full time outside the home, probably do a significant amount of their business in restrooms outside the home.

Exactly "one half" - no, probably not. But certainly a statistically relevant percentage.

Boone...not the first time you have told me I'm full of xxxx!

I actually started a lean diet a few years ago. Very light breakfast. Don't eat lunch at all since it tends to make me sleepy/sluggish. Stopped drinking the Navy's motor oil (coffee) 4-5 times daily. Couple B12 gels and I'm good the whole day/weight is where it was at 10-15 years ago.

Al, if you read my second post on this subject you will see where I admit that the same happened here and it was driven by fear. That is where the problem started for sure. This explanation is more about the ongoing shortage.

Also please notice that I said usage is split "nearly equally between home and other places". Those other places could be work, restaurants, bars, churches, parks, hotels or any other place that is not your house. I travel for business. I spent nearly a month of my life in 2019 in hotels. I wasn't in the office but I wasn't at home either. I think it is probably fair to say that adults who work full time outside the home, probably do a significant amount of their business in restrooms outside the home.

Exactly "one half" - no, probably not. But certainly a statistically relevant percentage.

Not messing with ya Neo. To be honest, not directed at you, I don't think anyone really knows what has been going on with the beer-virus in the macro sense...the chaos is added to by some who are intentionally stoking the embers of fear. It's easy to see just by what is left out of the discussion. As it is...the numbers continue to be all over the map.

Per previous...take care of yourself and your family brotha.

For me, 99.99% of mine happen at home or the home of a family member. I’ve only gone at work when it’s a dire emergency. So there is your fun fact of the day.

sometimes walking away from a conversation is the only answer.

We had a report released today of the cases in my county....my zip code has 34 cases in it. My neighbor think its OK for all the kids to get together and play during the days. I have to yell at mine and look like the a-hole because I wont let them. Going to make for an interesting summer when I still dont hang out with them.

COVID-19 cases almost tripled at my hospital on the past 24 hours 😳

Staff or patients? Any fatalities yet? Localized to your area or common across NC? If I recall, Reseatch Triangle in NC leans heavily to healthcare.

Staff or patients? Any fatalities yet? Localized to your area or common across NC? If I recall, Reseatch Triangle in NC leans heavily to healthcare.
Patients. No staff positive (yet - to our knowledge - but probably inevitable). And yes - there have been deaths. NC (so far) has mirrored Virginia, currently around 3500 known positive cases with less than 100 deaths. I think one of the flaws in modeling may turn out to be the extrapolation of results from urban areas where the virus is taking a far greater toll than in other areas. I think some of the predictions my be skewed as a result, but it's hard to know for sure. The counties where the bulk of infections and deaths are occurring here in NC are ones with large cities (Charlotte, Durham, Raleigh, etc..).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.