• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Coronavirus - COVID19

I certainly feel empathy for the author (and for anyone who needs surgery now and has had to delay - particularly if significant pain and misery is involved). Our own joint replacement and elective spine programs are shut down as is typical everywhere right now. There is one glaring omission in her understanding here though (and again, not stated with any intent to diminish her personal suffering)...

What the author and others don't seem to grasp is that it is precisely because we aren't continuing with 'business as usual' that we do not have rampant, out of control, disastrous levels of COVID-19 infections in every corner of the United States. Of course there are people who need 'elective' (ie... not going to die as a result of a surgical delay) surgery badly. The author attributes increased suicide rates to situations like hers but no one should be surprised that fear, anxiety, and isolation are not helpful to mental health. I doubt there's much evidence acute pain due to surgical delays has cost significant lives.

Allowing large numbers of patients to traverse in and out of every hospital in America for procedures (the vast majority of which can reasonably wait) would have put not only those patients at risk, but the lives and workforce ability of healthcare workers - at a time when staffing in hospitals (both nursing and physician) are at the worst levels in our lifetimes.

I imagine an alternative article to the one written - where she has her surgery, experiences a COVID-19 infection post-op in the hospital or rehab setting, and expires as a result. It's not a minor risk.

USAA cements itself as the greatest insurance company in history today (as if there were ever any doubt).

They just notified members that they will be returning $520 million in auto-insurance premiums (in the form of a 20% credit) to members. They noted that due to severe restrictions in travel and a reduction in auto-accidents and claims and decided this was the appropriate action to take.

No major corporation does this kind of thing. Except USAA.

USAA cements itself as the greatest insurance company in history today (as if there were ever any doubt).

They just notified members that they will be returning $520 million in auto-insurance premiums (in the form of a 20% credit) to members. They noted that due to severe restrictions in travel and a reduction in auto-accidents and claims and decided this was the appropriate action to take.

No major corporation does this kind of thing. Except USAA.
Progressive is doing the same for April and May. They also won’t cancel or non-renew any active policies due to non-payment through May 15.

Progressive is doing the same for April and May. They also won’t cancel or non-renew any active policies due to non-payment through May 15.
Just got my notification from Erie...they're cutting our premiums, too.

Awesome on all fronts

we were able to "put off" our student loans, our car insurance has been lowered. the only one we aren't going to do is push back our mortgage. we are both working and it would just delay paying it off.

The past 3 days the number of cases has been "about the same". I am really hoping we are plateauing. I am NOT spending my summer inside or not fishing.

The past 3 days the number of cases has been "about the same". I am really hoping we are plateauing. I am NOT spending my summer inside or not fishing.
I spent my entire life fishing. I haven't been since I've been out, and if I have to take my kids with us all wearing hazmat suits, it's gonna happen.

A week ago, a co-worker returned from a trip to Michigan. She and a large group of friends and folks from her church go out there every year to make maple syrup. I'm not sure why she went this year since Michigan has significant COVID-19 cases (although probably mostly in urban areas). She came back to work about a week ago for a full 12 hour shift, interacting with everyone (myself included - gave me a bottle of maple syrup). The next day (and since) she spiked a high fever, cough, GI symptoms, etc... She has been home since but cannot get anyone to test her. How a healthcare worker with symptoms who has been around other healthcare workers cannot get tested - is mind-boggling to me.

I have not been worried about it. But this morning, after drinking my morning coffee, had a sudden urge to vomit. I suppressed it and am just hanging out. There's no reason for me to have GI upset of any kind. So crossing my fingers I am not coming down with what she has. My wife came home for a few days this weekend and is working. So I reaaaaally hope it's nothing.

A week ago, a co-worker returned from a trip to Michigan. She and a large group of friends and folks from her church go out there every year to make maple syrup. I'm not sure why she went this year since Michigan has significant COVID-19 cases (although probably mostly in urban areas). She came back to work about a week ago for a full 12 hour shift, interacting with everyone (myself included - gave me a bottle of maple syrup). The next day (and since) she spiked a high fever, cough, GI symptoms, etc... She has been home since but cannot get anyone to test her. How a healthcare worker with symptoms who has been around other healthcare workers cannot get tested - is mind-boggling to me.

I have not been worried about it. But this morning, after drinking my morning coffee, had a sudden urge to vomit. I suppressed it and am just hanging out. There's no reason for me to have GI upset of any kind. So crossing my fingers I am not coming down with what she has. My wife came home for a few days this weekend and is working. So I reaaaaally hope it's nothing.

Hopefully whatever you are dealing with is nothing. I know right now any sort of disruption of our normal health has us worrying. I know every time I sneeze, cough, feel tired, etc., my mind goes to wondering if I have the virus. In reality, this time of year I normally have to deal with pollen issues. And any other year, I know it was that. But this year is different. Hopefully for your sake, it's just something you ate that didn't agree with you.

Also, I can't figure out why they wouldn't test her? If she is quarantined, don't they need to know if she actually has it? Clearly she needs to stay away if she has any sort of sickness, but the fact she's already been in and interacted with people, everyone needs to know if they were potentially exposed. She may just have a regular flu. Or she may have something else. Either way, people that were around her need to know.

I have just had some GI symptoms today (that is commonly the first symptom but I think it's likely just GI upset). If it weren't for my friend who may well have it, I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought. Now if I spike a fever in the next few days...

I don't get it either brother. They are telling her that unless she needs to be hospitalized, they are not testing. It's crazy.

Alaska finally threw in the towel for attending school this year. We figured as much but it’s official now.

Good friend of mine here has parents that live in Florida. They told him there was an incident where the isolation got to one of their neighbors and he murder-suicided his whole family. Obviously there was serious underlying issues with his mind but the isolation is what sparked it.

Make sure you’re checking up on your loved ones and neighbors during this shit, never know how others are handling it.

Last edited:
my stimulus check is going to show up in 2 days according to my credit union.

keep an eye out!

I had the same symptoms this morning - GI pain and nausea. My friend is finally getting tested. Honestly the only concerning thing is that my friend experienced the same symptoms for several days and then severe headache and high fever ensued. Hopefully she is negative and I don’t have further symptoms.

Thanks for asking brother.

They are talking about asking people in OH to wear masks for the next YEAR if they go out.

I am really starting to believe this is the government pushing us to comply now as much as anything else.

Deaths Per million, determines the standings here.
U.S is 10th, worldwide. But the difference in numbers is huge. We currently stand at 72.15 per million.
Spain, Belgium, and Italy's numbers are staggering. Spain has over 5 times more than U.S. With Belgium and Italy just shy of 5 times more.
France, UK, Netherlands, and Switzerland are all in the triple digits.

Note that Sweden, with few restrictions on it's people, and economy, is not in the triple digits. This may change, of course. But the way these shutdowns have been pushed/forced, worldwide, you'd think Sweden would be at, or near the top, in terms, per million.
They stand at #8 of the top ten.

Deaths Per million, determines the standings here.
U.S is 10th, worldwide. But the difference in numbers is huge. We currently stand at 72.15 per million.
Spain, Belgium, and Italy's numbers are staggering. Spain has over 5 times more than U.S. With Belgium and Italy just shy of 5 times more.
France, UK, Netherlands, and Switzerland are all in the triple digits.

Note that Sweden, with few restrictions on it's people, and economy, is not in the triple digits. This may change, of course. But the way these shutdowns have been pushed/forced, worldwide, you'd think Sweden would be at, or near the top, in terms, per million.
They stand at #8 of the top ten.

The nordic sandwich-

Norway- 25.21 dpm
Sweden- 90.25 dpm
Finland- 10.69 dpm

One of the common denominators in any country with high death numbers has been the presence of large urban centers. Stockholm is literally the ONLY Swedish city with even a million residents. 616 or their 1003 deaths in Sweden have occurred in Stockholm.

So - coronavirus has been far more devastating in urban environments. And Sweden is relatively low in terms of COVID-19 deaths because it has only 1 large city. That's why pointing to a country like Sweden and saying - see, not imposing restrictions doesn't result in a catastrophe may be connecting the wrong dots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.