• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Confirmed Signings

No OL yet. Looks like we could be going more after FAs and not UFDAs. It's early in the process though - we shall see.

So I was out all night. Isn't the official time table for teams to speak to anyone at 10am? All these reports suggest the rules are being broken, don't they?

Really, these are unofficial. Chances are, they will officially be apart of the team tomorrow. The whole league is talking to FA rookies. I think the rookies are committing to teams, but there is a chance that they will change their minds and go some place else.

Updated again at post #3. Activity has died down for the night it seems.

Patriots just keep getting better - Tarpinian is gonna be the next great Patriots linebacker. So annoying! Skins should have signed him to replace Rocky.

Falcons got a steal in Devine also - he is FAST.

Shout out to the two FAU ballers who made the cut! Lester Jean to the Texans and Michael Lockley to the Jags.

OT Willie Smith is now a Redskin. Offensive line!!!!!

http://twitter.com/#!/Russellmania980/status/95835240563613696

Like this guy's scouting report:

A two-year starter at left tackle, Smith is a remarkable athlete with a lot of upside. He earned All-Conference USA honors each of the past two seasons, and might have a higher ceiling than any tackle prospect in the 2011 NFL Draft.

At this point in his development, Smith is too raw and inconsistent to project as a rookie starter in the NFL. Some offensive line coach is likely to be convinced he can coach Smith to block like Walter Jones every play, not just in spurts, and his draft status will reflect that potential of a probably Pro Bowler in two to three years. via CBS Sports

http://www.hogshaven.com/2011/7/26/2294491/willie-smith-ot-set-to-join-redskins

A buddy of mine went to ECU and follows the Pirates close. He says we got a good player.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

We may have found us a potential future RT/LT here.

From CBS Sports draft analysis of Willie:
Overview

A two-year starter at left tackle, Smith is a remarkable athlete with a lot of upside. He earned All-Conference USA honors each of the past two seasons, and might have a higher ceiling than any tackle prospect in the 2011 NFL Draft.

At this point in his development, Smith is too raw and inconsistent to project as a rookie starter in the NFL. Some offensive line coach is likely to be convinced he can coach Smith to block like Walter Jones every play, not just in spurts, and his draft status will reflect that potential of a probably Pro Bowler in two to three years.

Analysis
Positives: Excellent lateral agility, slide and ability to pull, trap and seal. Very quick, can bend knees, sink hips, anchor and generate power. Ideal frame for the NFL left tackle position properly proportioned with long arms and strong hands. Can look like Walter Jones for possessions when he uses proper technique, but not full games. Smart in the classroom. Healthy and durable.

Negatives: Former defensive lineman has less than three years experience playing offensive line. Has a tendency to resort to bad habits, most recently in the second half against Maryland in the Military Bowl, including getting too high, waist bending, being late off the snap and occasionally clearly missing an assignment. Too many times allowed the defensive end to get under his outside shoulder on wide rushes. Hand placement is inconsistent, but improving.

2010 Season
Smith, the starting left tackle for the final 27 games of his career, helped the Pirates set 16 offensive records in 2010. East Carolina finished the campaign with a No. 8 national ranking in passing offense (318.7 ypg) and No. 16 in scoring (36.8 ppg). He provided pass protection and running holes for ECU to establish new standards for offensive touchdowns (60), passing scores (39), passing completion percentage (64.6), passing yards (4,143), total points (478) and points in Conference USA games (346). Additionally, Smith was the leader of an offensive line that stood 20th nationally in fewest sacks allowed per game (1.2).

Link:http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1245936

And from FFToolbox.com:

Willie Smith started his collegiate career playing defense. As a freshman he tallied seven tackles in limited playing time. As a sophomore at East Carolina he moved to the other side of the ball, but not to the tackle position he would soon hold. Instead, Smith was a tight end for a little while before moving to tackle. Once at the tackle position, he only played 48 snaps.
That has only given Smith two years to really be an offensive lineman. As a junior he stepped right into the starting role at left tackle and helped lead the Pirates to a conference title. That team ranked sixth in the nation, allowing a mere 0.86 sacks per game. Giving up only 12 sacks in 14 games is very impressive and the left tackle deserves a ton of credit for that remarkable statistic. Making that even more impressive was the fact that most of the sacks allowed were early in the season while Smith and the rest of the line were still adjusting to their new roles.

At 6-6, Smith has the size to be a tackle in the NFL. He would likely move to the right side for now since he lacks the strength and agility that the top tackles in the NFL need to have. However, Smith is still relatively new to the position and he has room to improve and room to add weight to his large frame.

3/27 Update: Smith measured in closer to 6-5 than to 6-6, but he also started adding weight to his frame and was up to 310 pounds at the NFL combine. His extra weight looked nice, but it did not lend itself to Smith putting up impressive numbers during the workouts. Smith's lack of experience could turn him into a nice late round pick-up for a team that has the luxury of working with him for a few years and developing him into a quality right tackle.

Last Updated Mar-27-2011 by Joel Welser

Link: http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2699

I also read he's not that strong - needs to hit the weight room, big time.

Mark Herzlich to the GMen. Ugh. He's another one that will be pretty good IMO.

Signing the UDFA is nice but I want to see our draft picks under contract. Due to all the mucking about, the window we have to get these guys under contract so they can get into camp is damn small and they have not had even the minor benefit if a single OTA session with their coaches yet.

Not liking this tweet:

HogsHavenHogsHaven.com
With Bruce Allen's low-offer contracts for vets & Santana Moss getting interest from Bears & Chiefs...hope is fading for return to Skins.

Not liking this tweet:

HogsHavenHogsHaven.com
With Bruce Allen's low-offer contracts for vets & Santana Moss getting interest from Bears & Chiefs...hope is fading for return to Skins.

you want Santana back? why? I can see options where he fits into the plan...just wondering if this is a short-term or long-term desire.

Signing the UDFA is nice but I want to see our draft picks under contract. Due to all the mucking about, the window we have to get these guys under contract so they can get into camp is damn small and they have not had even the minor benefit if a single OTA session with their coaches yet.

agree. plus I want to know yesterday that we signed some quality FA OL!

Since we can't officially sign anyone until Friday, things will be going slow and quiet. I'm thinking Bruce doesn't wanna tip his hand too quickly.

Looks like we inked another UDFA. OL Willie Smith from East Carolina.

you want Santana back? why? I can see options where he fits into the plan...just wondering if this is a short-term or long-term desire.

First, I don't see a better option than Tana on the roster right now. Second, I see him as a potentially great mentor for the youngins, if he would stick around. Not saying we break the bank for him, but give him a fair deal and let him play here in the slot for a few more years.

First, I don't see a better option than Tana on the roster right now. Second, I see him as a potentially great mentor for the youngins, if he would stick around. Not saying we break the bank for him, but give him a fair deal and let him play here in the slot for a few more years.

fair enough. I have come around to Lanky's pov that AA is a real find. saw or heard some place last week that AA....while catching many fewer passes than Santana last season had double the number of 20+ yrd receptions. seems to me that Santana is past his prime and not much of a deep threat. your idea of putting him in the slot is a good one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.