• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Commanders Trade for QB Carson Wentz

Good read Mark. I wonder if Wentz's being a man of 'faith' was part of it. Anytime Joe Gibbs is involved, that's a valid question, although it obviously wasn't a litmus test for Gibbs (John Riggins anyone?). Interesting they did look at Andrew Luck - I love that - but not clear whether they actually approached him.

The faith question is totally fair here, John. It played a huge part in the relationship Gibbs had with Brunell too.

Rivera did what fans have been hoping people in this organization would do for a while, talk with Gibbs. We don’t know how many have or have not. But my impression of the past two coaches is that they didn’t have the humbleness to talk to someone like Gibbs. Maybe Gruden did, but he seemed pretty arrogant about his offense. Shanahan I’m pretty certain would not. Anyway, I loved in the story they talked about Rivera learning from Gibbs and how he would go about finding a QB. Gibbs never had a great QB, but he was able to get great seasons out of his QBs, which led to great performances when it mattered most. The key take away for me from that article was how they talked about the fit. That’s what Gibbs did best with his QBs. It’s why he shipped Schroeder out of town. I’m hoping that Wentz is the fit that they have been looking for.

I'm more and more feeling like Irsay, and the GM to a point, are the ones that pulled the plug on Wentz and it wasn't Reich. That they couldn't handle losing to the Jags (behind Trevor Lawrence's best game as a pro, and they also beat Buffalo), and Raiders to miss the playoffs. Coaches don't generally make decisions to move on from a guy without some sort of succession plan in place, because they have their jobs to worry about. Owners make rash decisions that can leave the team with no QB and no long term hope...

Unless Reich was being ‘extra devious’. 🙄

What's the point in being devious after the fact. It's not like Rivera could yell, "Take backsies!"

That only works for third-down backs ;)

I must be pure hillbilly cause I’ve never used, or even heard the word ‘juxtaposition’ before.

Just listened to an extended Ron interview on the NFL Network. Talked a lot about Wentz and how they did their due diligence. Also talked about the process of meeting players in prep for the draft and how important it is. He used Malik Willis as an example, some things he saw that set him apart from other guys. After making those comments he said 'of course QB is off the table for us now'. So be prepared to have a melt down SilentThreat. I don't foresee a QB of any significance taken in this draft. You'd better be ****ing sure about Wentz Ron... that's all I have to say. I would think by now we'd have learned if you have a chance to draft a QB you really like, you never rule it out. Of course, could be smoke, but he sounded like he meant it.

Just listened to an extended Ron interview on the NFL Network. Talked a lot about Wentz and how they did their due diligence. Also talked about the process of meeting players in prep for the draft and how important it is. He used Malik Willis as an example, some things he saw that set him apart from other guys. After making those comments he said 'of course QB is off the table for us now'. So be prepared to have a melt down SilentThreat. I don't foresee a QB of any significance taken in this draft. You'd better be ****ing sure about Wentz Ron... that's all I have to say. I would think by now we'd have learned if you have a chance to draft a QB you really like, you never rule it out. Of course, could be smoke, but he sounded like he meant it.

So that means we are absolutely drafting a QB, right? 🤣

i've threatened multiple melt downs lol.. which one are you referring to?

Not drafting a meaningful QB THIS season would be a tragic mistake. I know this staff has its many personnel quirks and all, but it defies logic to not grab a promising youngster next month. They sure as hell can’t use the lack of picks as an excuse since it was their own doing.

Not drafting a meaningful QB THIS season would be a tragic mistake. I know this staff has its many personnel quirks and all, but it defies logic to not grab a promising youngster next month. They sure as hell can’t use the lack of picks as an excuse since it was their own doing.
Only a tragic mistake if the team has the opportunity to draft the guy they want. I wouldn't give up additional picks to move up to get a guy though. We have already put a 3rd from this draft into the QB position.

Only a tragic mistake if the team has the opportunity to draft the guy they want. I wouldn't give up additional picks to move up to get a guy though. We have already put a 3rd from this draft into the QB position.

It would be criminal to trade away any more draft picks this season, regardless of player or position. Taking a young QB now is more need than a want, you just don’t go into the season with Wentz & Heineken & no youngster.

With Ron making it rain draft picks to other teams like he’s Pac-Man Jones, it would make too much sense trading back in 2022 for more. One of those should be used, possibly a 3rd or 4th on a signal caller.

I don’t want them to draft a QB in round 7 just so they can say they did, or as a camp/PS guy. That’s just a waste of a pick. If you are gonna use a pick to draft a QB, it should always be with the belief the young man can be a starter in this league.

It would be criminal to trade away any more draft picks this season, regardless of player or position. Taking a young QB now is more need than a want, you just don’t go into the season with Wentz & Heineken & no youngster.

With Ron making it rain draft picks to other teams like he’s Pac-Man Jones, it would make too much sense trading back in 2022 for more. One of those should be used, possibly a 3rd or 4th on a signal caller.

From what i've seen there's not much there that would warrant a 3rd or a 4th... it's top 2 rounds or bottom 2 rounds.

If they decided to trade back, i'd imagine we could take that 'flier' in the 2nd round on a guy like Ridder or Strong, while still adding other weapons to put around Wentz.

I dont think we're in positon to worry about Wentz's feelings for the sake of the future. My concern about taking a QB early is that Wentz (and the team going forward) likely has less of a chance of being successful if we pass on top tier weapon.

If the team feels like their guy wont be there at 11, so they went and got Wentz, but it happens that whatever Rookie they love IS unexpectedly there at 11 and they take him, so be it... I would disagree that whoever they wanted would be gone, but what can ya do.

If they wanted to trade back, add a 2nd and a 3rd, and use a 2nd round pick on Ridder while still having 3 other picks in the first 3 rounds to use on other areas, I would have no problem with that. Coming away with a 2nd round QB and 3 other players by the end of day 2 would still feel like we maximized our chances AND you've got a guy you can groom as a possible player going forward.

The other thing we need to do is stop worry about if our starting QB can handle pressure from below on the depth chart. The GB Packers drafted Love in the 1st round and Aaron Rodgers (while he was bitching and moaning) went out and won 2 MVPs while also playing into a $50 / year contract.

When New England drafted Jimmy G.... Brady didnt blink
When KC drafted Mahomes... Alex Smith was a professional.

If he can't handle doing the work to win the job, we don't want him anyway. Waiting til the 2nd to get a guy hopefully eases the push from all the outside noise (a little bit) so Wentz can be the guy in 2022. If Wentz balls out, nobody is going to care what we spent on Strong because Wentz is winning. If Wentz throws a hissy fit, bombs out, and proves the critics right, then we move on and Rivera and Co. face some criticism for a few weeks, til the fanbase gets excited about the fact that we have a young rookie in the wings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.