• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Clinton Portis to Retire a Redskin

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
The Washington Redskins have announced they will host a retirement news conference Thursday for former Redskins running back Clinton Portis, who has not played in the NFL since 2010 and had hinted a few times over the past year that he'd like a chance to play again. Apparently, Portis has foregone that hope and will officially hang 'em up later this week in Ashburn, Va.

It's likely not a coincidence that the Redskins are unveiling their "10 for 80" the very next day -- the list of the next 10 players added to their list of all-time great Redskins. That list is expanding this year from 70 to 80 in honor of the team's 80th anniversary season, and Portis is likely to be one of the 10 new names.

Portis is a worthy addition to the list of all-time Redskins. He's the second-leading rusher in team history and rolled up 26 100-yard games during his seven seasons in Washington. More than that, though, Portis as a Redskin was the kind of player fans love to love. He was the definition of a workhorse back. In four of his first five seasons with the team, he carried the ball more than 340 times for more than 1,250 yards. (In 2006, he only played in eight games due to injury.) He scored 49 touchdowns in his seven seasons as a Redskin. He was a willing and devastating blocker and among the best running backs of the modern era at picking up the blitz.

The years Portis played for the Redskins (2004-10) are certainly not part of any golden age of Redskins history. But amid the mediocrity, Portis stood out as a great player, a hard worker and a colorful character off the field and in the locker room. Redskins fans may not remember the teams he played on as fondly as they'll remember him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/42161/clinton-portis-to-retire-a-redskin

Not all will agree but this makes me happy. Portis was a good Redskin.

Makes me very happy. Portis was one of a couple of bright spots in an otherwise forgettable decade.

Portis was on of the few stars on some lousy teams over the past few years. Our one truly enjoyable season of the past two decades (2005) was due largely to his efforts. I'm happy he decided to retire a Redskin.

Yeah, kinda befitting for him to retire with the Redskins and the current coach being the one who drafted him for his original team.

:claps:

He was the whipped cream on our decade long crap sandwich called the 00's. Chris Samuels was the only better Redskin during that decade.

Carried the Redskins on his back in 2005 & 2007 into the playoffs...too bad he didn't have anything left in the tank once he got them there though. He was a beast, fun to watch, and very entertaining. You get tired of the cliche athlete responses to questions; it was fun to hear someone speak their mind for once, even if it made ya cringe every once in awhile.

One of the better running backs in our histories and eventually one of the symptoms of what was wrong with the 'skins. His refusal to practice and the example he set for the other... or the star system he was allowed to be a part of did hold this team back. Much of that was not about Portis, but about Snyder and Vinny. Still, Portis bought in and took advantage of it.

One of the better running backs in our histories and eventually one of the symptoms of what was wrong with the 'skins. His refusal to practice and the example he set for the other... or the star system he was allowed to be a part of did hold this team back. Much of that was not about Portis, but about Snyder and Vinny. Still, Portis bought in and took advantage of it.

One of many of "Snyder's boys". Nobody should have ever had direct access to the owner. Ever.

They all go out this way :)

Portis is no different from Riggins, Theismann, Monk, etc. that felt they were done wrong when the Redskins told them the end was at hand.

But over time they came back to the fold and sat back down at the Redskin table so to speak.

Its gotta be hard for someone (an organization) to tell you that you're basically too old/injured/unable to play the game you've been playing your entire life. It would be nice if they all handled it like Peyton did but I understand.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

You want everyone too old/injured to go to the Broncos?

Yep, a fourth round pick from Denver and Brown is all theirs.

4th? I would do backflips if we could get a 4th. I was thinking they could have him for one pair of Peyton's shoes.

This is how it should be, I still rock my cp jersey with pride, he always laid it out on the field and id love to have him coach blocking to our rb now.

Thanks CP.
Second best RB in Redskins history.

Larry Brown being #1, ;)

crack me up!!!...as always....

CP said some odd things at times....but overall.....he's one of my Skins and will not be forgotten or under-valued.

In thinking this over perhaps I read CP all wrong.

Imagine if John Riggins had played on this team in the 2000's. He would have been run into the ground and seeing the circus like atmosphere around the team would probably wonder if there was ever going to be a silver lining to all that losing.

Just when I think that though I remember teammates saying that Portis during training camp practices at times would sit in a folding chair next to the owner and watch the drills chatting away with Snyder under an umbrella.

Not what a true winner would do.

In the end Portis is a curious mixed bag of good and bad qualities in a pro athlete.

Maybe we weren't supposed to figure him out.

Riggins sat out a year because of a contract issue in 1980. By some accounts including Gibbs' he wasn't all that sure he was coming back to Washington in 1981 either.

But Riggins always credited the OL when he had those franchise best days on the field. He never undercut his teammates saying 'Player X' or 'Unit Y' is letting us down.

Portis called out his OL and FB in the media and I don't have a lot of respect for that.

I can agree with that. But to be honest, the hogs woulda beat that ass if he did. And besides, who would he drink with if he pissed them off?

you're right on the drinking part Mike. Can't recall which game...it was a big one....but I remember a sea story where Riggo was basically hung over/still suffering the effects of too much partying. Perhaps someone else remembers the full story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.