• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Carriker needs more surgery... links

Dead Money

, Mike Wise HATE'r
Reaction score
Well god dammit. I guess a lot of us saw this coming, but it still sucks.

Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen 58m

Adam Carriker, via text, confirms that he will have another surgery on his right quad. Operation set for tomorrow. #Redskins]

Report: More surgery for Adam Carriker

Posted by Josh Alper on July 24, 2013, 5:18 PM EDT
350x-271-e1374700673490.jpg
AP
Redskins defensive end Adam Carriker said in June that he expected to start training camp on the PUP list and that looks like a prediction that will come true.
When he might get off that list is the subject of considerably less clarity. Tarik El-Bashir of CSNWashington.com reports that Carriker needs to have another surgery on his right leg and he remains without a timetable for a return to the field.
It’s been a long time in these straits for Carriker. He tore his quadriceps early last season, missed the rest of the year has already had two other surgeries in hopes of improving the situation. When he spoke about his outlook in June, Carriker was still without the necessary range of motion in his leg to even start thinking about a return to practice and this new round of surgery presumably won’t send him skyrocketing to that point all that quickly.

Carriker’s a good bet to remain on PUP into the regular season, missing at least the first six games of the year before he’d be eligible to start playing. Stephen Bowen,Jarvis Jenkins and Kedric Golston will be seeing the majority of the snaps at defensive end for the Redskins until Carriker returns to health.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/24/more-surgery-for-adam-carriker/

Carriker faces another surgery, opens on PUP
RICHMOND--Redskins defensive end Adam Carriker will have another surgery on his right leg, according to a league source.

The source said the procedure is scheduled for Thursday.

Carriker tore the quadriceps tendon near his knee in Week 2 against the Rams last season and was sidelined for the remainder of the campaign. After suffering a setback in rehab a few months later, the 29-year-old had a second surgery. That makes Thursday's procedure the third known surgery Carriker has undergone in an attempt to repair the injury.

The timetable for Carriker’s return was not immediately unknown. He was expected to be placed on the preseason physically unable to perform (PUP) list later Wednesday.

Carriker’s latest surgery figures to deal a blow to the depth along the Redskins’ defensive line. The coaching staff had been hoping that he would compete with Jarvis Jenkins for playing time at left end. In 2011, Carriker had 5.5 sacks.

Bummer, knew about the PUP but not the latest pending surgery.

Hope it goes well this time and he can get up to speed during the season.

Need Jarvis to step up big time now, and fill that hole.

why did he wait until now?

This just seems to be our trainers/doctors M.O. over the last several years.

Carriker is more important to this Dline than many will admit, I hope Jenkins can pick up some slack, he kind of disappeared last year. I like Carriker but some in football specific media circles have questioned whether or not he will stick to the team this year, now we're seeing why. He's kind of expensive if we're just gonna be his rehab facility until his retirement. I hope he can overcome this, it always seems to be the high strength guys (muscleheads) that can't recover.

At least we didn't wait until August to admit he wasn't gonna be healthy this year. :uhoh:

This just seems to be our trainers/doctors M.O. over the last several years.

Carriker is more important to this Dline than many will admit, I hope Jenkins can pick up some slack, he kind of disappeared last year. I like Carriker but some in football specific media circles have questioned whether or not he will stick to the team this year, now we're seeing why. He's kind of expensive if we're just gonna be his rehab facility until his retirement. I hope he can overcome this, it always seems to be the high strength guys (muscleheads) that can't recover.

At least we didn't wait until August to admit he wasn't gonna be healthy this year. :uhoh:[/QUOTE

]

its less than a week til august! LOL

Guys...he's already had two surgeries...its not like he "waited" to have the third surgery. You have to have the first two before you can have the third one. :)

There is no M.O. here, its just an older guy with an injury that won't heal right.

Its a river in Egypt LL. The history of injuries not healing, re-injuries and to operate or not to operate drama out of our trainers/drs suggest that its plausable there is a problem there. Not so easily dismissed when it keeps happening.

The MO is misdiagnosis and guys that don't heal.

If we have half the problems with Griffin we've had with almost every other player to get an injury on this team in the last 10 years there's going to be riots in Ashburn and people are going to be burned at the stake.

Keep in mind, Carriker had injury problems in St. Louis - its why we were able to acquire him for a ham sammich and a bag of footballs. Not like he was a never-injured all-pro who came here and suddenly developed nagging injuries! He actually surpised people and played a couple seasons injury free for us. That's the opposite of the "Redskins M.O." if you ask me.

I think the Dan should pay whatever it takes to get the Phoenix Suns medical staff to DC.

Keep in mind, Carriker had injury problems in St. Louis - its why we were able to acquire him for a ham sammich and a bag of footballs. Not like he was a never-injured all-pro who came here and suddenly developed nagging injuries! He actually surpised people and played a couple seasons injury free for us. That's the opposite of the "Redskins M.O." if you ask me.

Your refusal to admit that there is a problem at Redskins park in dealing with injuries is the only problem I see.

Revising history in your own mind and trying to "sell us" on your view is not gonna change anything.

#1 Carriker's contract in St Louis was too large for them because:
#2 The Rams played him out of position the entire time he was there.

The Rams trading him for a 5th round pick was not lopsided because they had no need for his natural position of 5-technique d-end and was largely viewed as a way to dump the lopsided contract they gave a guy that never fit their system.

He had injuries in the past yes, but today a 5th rounder is not a ham sandwich and the past injuries were not the main focus of the trade.

Your refusal to admit that there is a problem at Redskins park in dealing with injuries is the only problem I see.

Revising history in your own mind and trying to "sell us" on your view is not gonna change anything.

#1 Carriker's contract in St Louis was too large for them because:
#2 The Rams played him out of position the entire time he was there.

The Rams trading him for a 5th round pick was not lopsided because they had no need for his natural position of 5-technique d-end and was largely viewed as a way to dump the lopsided contract they gave a guy that never fit their system.

He had injuries in the past yes, but today a 5th rounder is not a ham sandwich and the past injuries were not the main focus of the trade.

First of all, I'm talking Carriker specifically, not some system-wide injury problem. Please don't put words in my mouth. I've been the first one to harp on the injury issues at Redskins park in the past; I just don't think Adam's injury fits that story line. And revisionist history? You're the one revising history, friend. We traded a 5th for Carriker and slightly later 5th, so we lost no draft picks in the process. Yes, it was a ham sammich and a bag of footballs. Maybe we had to throw in a spare kicking tee. That we got two years of solid play out of Carriker for moving down (13, 18 spots?) in the 5th round is very lopsided.

Carriker was a huge disappointment in St. Louis largely due to nagging injuries, and then missed the entire 2009 season. This is why we got him for a song in 2010, not because of any misuse. He had the same amount of sacks for us in 2010 than he did in his entire three-year Rams career (2, in case you were wondering). It was clear St. Louis was ready to part ways with him, largely because of his lackluster production and yes, injury history.

Not trying to "sell" you anything, friend, just expressing my opinion like the rest of you. So you can cut the condescending crap any time, brother.

It was actually less than a fifth, it was an exchange of fifth rounders in the same draft.

Carriker projected to being a 3-4 end and was drafted by a 4-3 team and played out of position as a wide end.

Look, Carriker came here worked his butt off and put up very solid numbers at a time this defense had zero depth on the line.

It was a great deal for Washington and netted the Rams little as I believe they were still under the cap BEFORE the trade was made.

No need to trash Carriker or the FO for making what will probably turn out to be a very good move to help transition the line to a 3-4 and set things up for youngsters like Jenkins going forward.

It was actually less than a fifth, it was an exchange of fifth rounders in the same draft.

Was doing some quick reading on it, and we actually exchanged 7th rounders with them as well. But we got him for a song.

Also, he played DT for the Rams, not wide end. Well, primarily DT, maybe he played some end as well, I'm not 100% positive.

Yeah, I don't want my posts to come off as trashing carriker. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's that great of a talent (maybe I'm wrong) but he's certainly worked his ass off and been a good soldier (if you will)

It's just frustrating to see problems like this. Even more so when it's your weakest area (depth wise) on the team.

The depth issue is something the Redskins knew about back in Jan when he needed the second surgery. Then Worthington got hurt in the offseason workouts.

The clock has been ticking on this for awhile.

Yeah, I don't want my posts to come off as trashing carriker. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's that great of a talent (maybe I'm wrong) but he's certainly worked his ass off and been a good soldier (if you will)

It's just frustrating to see problems like this. Even more so when it's your weakest area (depth wise) on the team.

Yeah...it gets pretty ugly after Bowen & Jenkins. Golston is serviceable, but Merling & Hamilton are big question marks. Maybe Baker, Brace or Neild will rotate in to NT and Cofield can play DE, which he's more suited for anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.