• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Carriker needs more surgery... links

Yeah...it gets pretty ugly after Bowen & Jenkins. Golston is serviceable, but Merling & Hamilton are big question marks. Maybe Baker, Brace or Neild will rotate in to NT and Cofield can play DE, which he's more suited for anyway.

none of those are names of big play guys.

it's going to come down to the LB's getting pressure which I suppose is fine. hopefully those linemen can eat up blocks...

Baker is supposed to be able to play 3-4 end. I don't know that Chris at this point trying to learn NT could really be counted on though to step in and play there.

There were a few solid run stuffing DEs out there in free agency that came from 4-3 systems but may be big enough to transition to end here.

Of course that is what we are trying to do with Merling and Brace.

Neither of these players though ever held a regular job in the NFL for any length of time.

I'm with Lanky on this one. I have nothing against Carriker,. The guy earned his money when he was healthy but he just can't get on the field. I don't think in this particular case it's the Redskins staff screwing up.

Frankly, he may just want to consider retirement. Bleh.

none of those are names of big play guys.

it's going to come down to the LB's getting pressure which I suppose is fine. hopefully those linemen can eat up blocks...

3-4 DEs aren't supposed to get pressure though, just eat up linemen so that the LBs can make plays. Or so I thought.

3-4 DEs aren't supposed to get pressure though, just eat up linemen so that the LBs can make plays. Or so I thought.

If we are talking pass rush, then everyone on the DL has to bring pressure.

If we are talking run stopping then eating up blocks is fine, but if you can penetrate and blow up the blocking early or slide of the block and make a tackle then so much better.

First of all, I'm talking Carriker specifically, not some system-wide injury problem. Please don't put words in my mouth. I've been the first one to harp on the injury issues at Redskins park in the past; I just don't think Adam's injury fits that story line. And revisionist history? You're the one revising history, friend. We traded a 5th for Carriker and slightly later 5th, so we lost no draft picks in the process. Yes, it was a ham sammich and a bag of footballs. Maybe we had to throw in a spare kicking tee. That we got two years of solid play out of Carriker for moving down (13, 18 spots?) in the 5th round is very lopsided.

Carriker was a huge disappointment in St. Louis largely due to nagging injuries, and then missed the entire 2009 season. This is why we got him for a song in 2010, not because of any misuse. He had the same amount of sacks for us in 2010 than he did in his entire three-year Rams career (2, in case you were wondering). It was clear St. Louis was ready to part ways with him, largely because of his lackluster production and yes, injury history.

Not trying to "sell" you anything, friend, just expressing my opinion like the rest of you. So you can cut the condescending crap any time, brother.

Just reacting to you being dismissive of a lingering issue in the organization whether you feel this instance "fits" or not. You're the king of condescending so good I'm glad to oblige. So I was wrong on the compensation... I seem to recall paying for him by getting him under his Rams contract but can't look it up now.

Throwing stats at me is not going to revise what many in the Nfl reported on during the trade. A classic 3-4 d end being drafted and used a d tackle at first round compensation.

You don't like Orakpo being called injury prone but you're more than happy to say that's why we got Adam. Not true. I'm sure him missing a season in Stl didn't help but it was not the main reason he was traded.

Adams injury may not be part of a bigger problem the organization has but it certainly doesn't look good for them either. Misdiagnosed or not, we'll never know but this stuff has been happening on the reg. Nobody here can say it's part of that issue or not but for me.. If it walks like a duck it's a duck until it crows at sunrise

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

It was actually less than a fifth, it was an exchange of fifth rounders in the same draft.

Carriker projected to being a 3-4 end and was drafted by a 4-3 team and played out of position as a wide end.

Look, Carriker came here worked his butt off and put up very solid numbers at a time this defense had zero depth on the line.

It was a great deal for Washington and netted the Rams little as I believe they were still under the cap BEFORE the trade was made.

No need to trash Carriker or the FO for making what will probably turn out to be a very good move to help transition the line to a 3-4 and set things up for youngsters like Jenkins going forward.

I don't think the FO gets enough credit for this move initially. They recognized he was being misused attained his contract and put him where he belonged. They took a chance doing so but it wasn't just because he missed a season with a shoulder injury.

I love Carriker, part of me blaming our organization is that he's constantly fbing and twitting lifting, lifting lifting... We're they on top of him to make sure he could recover?

I get surgeries go wrong but we have had more than our fair share of injury question marks over the past several seasons.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

You can argue about why his production was lackluster, but that's why we got him so cheap.

As far as the comparisons between Orakpo & Carriker, there are none. When you get 28.5 sacks in your first three years, I'm pretty sure you're immune from the "disappointing" or "injury-prone" labels, but that's just me.

EDIT: I'm not condescending intentionally, just stating facts.

You can argue about why his production was lackluster, but that's why we got him so cheap.

As far as the comparisons between Orakpo & Carriker, there are none. When you get 28.5 sacks in your first three years, I'm pretty sure you're immune from the "disappointing" or "injury-prone" labels, but that's just me.

EDIT: I'm not condescending intentionally, just stating facts.

I thought it was because he was always hurt?
I'm confused. :dizzy2::dizzy2:

I'm gonna give you a pass on your obligatory "I'm just stating facts" reference ... been there done that..

Love ya.... mean it.

I thought it was because he was always hurt?
I'm confused. :dizzy2::dizzy2:

That is my contention, yes. "Carriker was a huge disappointment in St. Louis largely due to nagging injuries, and then missed the entire 2009 season."

I'm gonna give you a pass on your obligatory "I'm just stating facts" reference ... been there done that..

Love ya.... mean it.

Aw shut up and take me orange roughy fishing, ya bastage!

Shanahan just said during his pass conference that it's a 4 to 5 month recovery .

Guess that means IR again.

Well duh... ;) you can't operate on a quad and be expected back. We may just need the cap space enough to cut him. I don't think we'll net much so keeping him in the fold for morale may be the call. Poor guy, you know he works hard... maybe too hard in this case.

Really disappointed to hear this news. Would have rather us known earlier in the offseason so that we could have prepared by cutting him to free up cap as well as signing another promising FA to fill in his spot.

Oh well. The Keenan Robinson thing just adding insult to injury (literally).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.