• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Can RG3 Be The Exception? Why Don't Big 12 QBs Succeed In The NFL?

After leading Nebraska to a share of the 1997 national championship, Scott Frost spent his entire 59-game NFL career on defense.

Check this one out......this one is a little too uncomfortable.

Missouri’s Brad Smith, the first player in college football history to pass for 8,000 yards and rush for 4,000 in his career, became a Jets’ wide receiver.

Another way to look at it is that, just from an odds point of view, its way past time for a former Big 12 QB to be an NFL star :)
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Yes Boone, wayyyyy overdue.

What it hasn’t produced is a single NFL success story at quarterback.....ever.

That's it, I'm sold! :cool3:

What the hell's going on down there?

It's like trying to pick the prettiest girl out of a group of ugly ones.

Quick! Get Agent Mulder down there!

Bonus points for the word "lychees."

This brings a few more questions to mind:

Has a Big 12 QB ever won a playoff game in the NFL?

And for a "stump the expert" question, who is the greatest Big 12 QB in NFL history? Think about that for a minute.

And am I the only one who wanted to show Agent Scully my x-files?

Last edited:
Another way to look at it is that, just from an odds point of view, its way past time for a former Big 12 QB to be an NFL star

Perhaps a stretch or a great omen???

TCU is going to the big 12 and the only franchise/HOF QB our team ever had besides Sonny was from there. Some Texas native named Sammy Baugh attended. I think he worked out OK but admit it was (even) before my time.

Time for history to repeat itself for the Big 12 and our beloved Redskins!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that a lot of the QBs you're referencing have in common is that there were questions about their arm strength and skepticism that their completion percentages were inflated by a short passing game and lots of high percentage passes.

RG3, on the hand, often (successfully) threw the ball deep and can throw the ball with zip and fit the ball into tight windows.

Griffin had more "air yards...the amount of passing yards a quarterback gets, obviously, through the air, before a receiver catches and runs with the ball" than Luck or Weeden last year.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/02/27/combine/index.html#ixzz1orc3K4VZ
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/02/27/combine/1.html

Remember the concerns about his height. Some were saying that 6-2 is a huge stretch. Well, he measured 6-23/8 at the combine - about a half inch taller than listed.

Be strong Redskins fans. The haters will try any desperate angle to attack the viability of RG3. Truth be told, they are scared.

I sure do hope the Colts take RG3 so they can be the ones who will find out if he can be the exception.

Last edited:
Between 1996 and 2008, nine Big 12 QBs have been drafted into the NFL.

Not one has had a good career.

Maybe Sam Bradford breaks the curse? He certainly appears to be legit.

And let's hope RG3 just crushes it!

Don't forget about Josh Freeman in Tampa. He had an off-year after an excellent rookie campaign. He'll bounce back this year.

And honestly, Bradford had so many WRs drop passes last year - they really should have beaten us if his WRs could hang onto the ball at all. I can only assume other games went that way as well (the Skins game was the only one I watched).

How many great NFL quarterbacks did Tennessee produce before or after Manning?

How many great qbs did PITT produce other than Marino?

As I recall Jurgensen went to Duke which has never been a great football destination.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Before John Elway, the idea of a big time QB coming from Stanford would have been something of a joke, too. Now with any Luck it's a hotbed. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.