• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Can RG3 Be The Exception? Why Don't Big 12 QBs Succeed In The NFL?

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
I have been an avid RG3 supporter for a long time now, so please set down the pitchforks.:redpunch:

And I am certainly no negative Nancy....but believe this is an interesting topic.

Why do so many Big 12 QBs put up huge numbers in college--some even more impressive than our hopeful future franchise QB, but then find little, if any success in the NFL?

Is it because they are system QBs?

Is it because the defenses are so weak?

Why do so many Big 12 QBs fail to succeed in the NFL in such staggering numbers? And what does this mean, if anything, to the NFL prospects of RG3?

Stats to follow.

Chase Daniel is a name that Redskins fans recognize. Before a short stint in Washington, He led his Missouri Tigers to a North division title.

In 2008, He completed 72.9% of his passes. He had 39 touchdowns and 18 interceptions.

He has thrown 8 passes in the NFL, and currently backs up Drew Brees in New Orleans.

In that same year, 2008, Texas Tech QB Graham Harrell also destroyed big 12 defenses, throwing for a staggering 5,111 yards.

He threw for 45 touchdowns, and only 9 interceptions.

Numbers like that should have had him high up on the list of QBs for the NFL draft the following season.

Harrell was not drafted, and has never taken a snap in the NFL.

Chase Daniel is a name that Redskins fans recognize. Before a short stint in Washington, He led his Missouri Tigers to a North division title.

In 2008, He completed 72.9% of his passes. He had 39 touchdowns and 18 interceptions.

He has thrown 8 passes in the NFL, and currently backs up Drew Brees in New Orleans.
In that same year, 2008, Texas Tech QB Graham Harrell also destroyed big 12 defenses, throwing for a staggering 5,111 yards.

He threw for 45 touchdowns, and only 9 interceptions.

Numbers like that should have had him high up on the list of QBs for the NFL draft the following season.

Harrell was not drafted, and has never taken a snap in the NFL.

Apples and Oranges.

Neither of those QB's were busts, because they were not highly rated by draft experts, nor were they drafted highly.

They're no RG3. And shouldn't be compared to him.

Josh Freeman looked like he might be the one to break the Big 12 drought in the NFL, with an impressive rookie campaign.

But he regressed terribly last year, With only 16 touchdowns, and 22 interceptions.

Josh Freeman looked like he might be the one to break the Big 12 drought in the NFL, with an impressive rookie campaign.

But he regressed terribly last year, With only 16 touchdowns, and 22 interceptions.

can't compare apples to oranges......

Colt McCoy led Texas to a division title, and into the BCS championship game. He completed 70.2% of his passes that season, with 27 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

After a 20 TD, 20 INT season in the NFL, we found ourselves bidding against his employer for RG3.

To be fair McD5 - that might speak more to the level of patience of the Cleveland front office than it does McCoy's talent level. They'd be looking for Troy Aikman's replacement in Cleveland too :) Waaay too early to write off McCoy as evidence to support that Big 12 QBs are doomed to fail at the NFL level.

Blaine Gabbert also came from the Big 12.

Blaine just completed his rookie campaign in the NFL, as the lowest rated starter in the league.

His completion rate was the second worst of all starting QBs.

Maybe believing they have seen enough, the Jaguars reportedly were one of the final four bidders for RG3, and are now seen as the top destination for Tim Tebow, should the Broncos sign Manning.

Vince Young won a National Title with Texas against those same Big 12 defenses.

He was taken 3rd in the 2006 NFL draft, with many believing he was the next "sure thing."

You know the rest.

Last edited:
Before I go on, love the thread idea and discussion. Gabbert and McCoy are probably not equivalent examples. Neither guy was projected to be the kind of player RGIII is going to be. They're both more comparable to Tannehill in my mind. Guys who played very well in college, but were drafted far higher than they deserved to be. Forget about a top 10 QB, Gabbert had no business being drafted in the 1st round period. I think his hair must've helped him.

Vince Young won a National Title with Texas against those same Big 12 defenses.

He was taken 3rd in the 2006 NFL draft, with many believing he as the next "sure thing."

You know the rest.

Sorry for the tit-for-tat. The problem with Young has always been clear. He's a zero between the ears, and on top of that, shows some emotional instability. That's what's held him back as an NFL QB, not his physical talents.

Both areas appear to be true strengths for young Robert.

Chris Simms threw for 26 TDs and only 12 interceptions while leading Texas in 2002.

Chris now sells Sealy sofas for a living.

Before I go on, love the thread idea and discussion. Gabbert and McCoy are probably not equivalent examples. Neither guy was projected to be the kind of player RGIII is going to be. They're both more comparable to Tannehill in my mind. Guys who played very well in college, but were drafted far higher than they deserved to be. Forget about a top 10 QB, Gabbert had no business being drafted in the 1st round period. I think his hair must've helped him.

Lol@hair helping him:)

I do believe it's an interesting, and at least different topic than much of what we are seeing right now.

And I have no idea how much, if any we should discount RG3's stats down there.

I also understand the "bust level" for any rookie QB is extremely high.

But man amigo.....it sure seems like something is going on down there.

Sage Rosenfels, Koy Detmer and Seneca Wallace are all checking into this thread to say "hi."

Eric Crouch and Jason White, both Heisman winners from the Big 12......Never played a single snap in the NFL.

Between 1996 and 2008, nine Big 12 QBs have been drafted into the NFL.

Not one has had a good career.

Maybe Sam Bradford breaks the curse? He certainly appears to be legit.

And let's hope RG3 just crushes it!

Now you're going back too far. big 12 QBs ran the option almost exclusively until a fess years ago. The NFL wasn't gonna touch that.

The biggest difference between most of who you are mentioning and RGIII is where he was projected to go, and the hype surrounding them. White was never talked about as a pro prospect, maybe a developmental QB at best, but probably not even that. Not saying scouts can't be wrong, but considering just about every scout I have read on record is drooling over this guy, I think we're gonna be fine.

Another way to look at it is that, just from an odds point of view, its way past time for a former Big 12 QB to be an NFL star :)
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

No argument here Goal......I really intend for this thread to be light-hearted, but the more I research, the crazier it gets.

Yes Boone, wayyyyy overdue. Check out this stat:

None of the starting quarterbacks for the eight national title teams at Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska between 1963-1995 took an NFL snap.

The conference has produced many great ones, Heisman Trophy winners, All-Americans and record setters.

What it hasn’t produced is a single NFL success story at quarterback.....ever.

It's almost like they are in their own crazy vortex down there.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.