• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Cake or Death?: Winds of Change

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
Do you feel that? That ever-so-slight breeze across your face? Do you know what it is? Change. It's change folks. I don't think I have to...

More...

for the first time in a long time...I have hope! So much so I keep saying...Let's call St. Louis and tell them, "You want a couple more picks?"

I was thinking about something similar this morning which is that fans need to re-learn how to win. I was at the game yesterday and it was fantastic... I even briefly met Elephant (though as soon as he learned I was there he declared it was time for him to leave ;) ) but one of the things I noticed in the stands was how many people were not even casually into the game... too many left their seats during crucial drives, or left left the game entirely when it was in doubt... quite a few with more than five minutes left on the clock.

Imagine missing that run after paying as much as you do to attend a game!

I think the team is learning to win again, but we fans do too. We need to get more fired up... back in ES, instead of multiple threads celebrating the win there were threads about who to trade or a demand to cut Banks!

This inability to enjoy success to celebrate without the cynicism rising up to drown the fan is so frustrating. It bothered me endlessly that Redskins fans openly and eagerly cheered for losses last year. It bothers me equally that they can't celebrate victories today.

I almost feel it....:wings: A Skins victory next week and it's on! I've just been burnt way too many times in the past:nono:
In todays game a team can be competitive without a dominant defense,but that defense can't give up 25+ pts per game. We have the franchise qb that really can make something out of nothing. He's gonna need some help... less than 50 receiving yds (each) from the wrs has to improve.

Stop complaining, Burg. We just won! :p

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Great piece, Goal.

I almost got chills with just four sentences;

"Kid wasn't gonna lose yesterday. He didn't care that everyone at home and everyone in the stands had seen this play out before, and it almost always eneded with a Redskins loss.

That's history, folks. RGIII either doesn't know that history or doesn't care."

That, to me, is the key.

This ain't the Redskins we've unfortunately grown accustomed to and based our expectations upon.

Not anymore.

Years of being disrespected, years of being the league laughing-stock, years of being among the most pitiful and not-to-be-taken-seriously NFL teams in the league are being blown into the oblivion where they belong and being replaced by amazement, excitement, new found respect and attention throughout the NFL-and, yes, even new-found fear of what playing the Redskins means among fans of upcoming opponents.

It's a new day in Redskinsland.

Enjoy. :)

It's funny you titled this "Winds..." In a interview Griff was talking about what the TE coach said to him after the run. He said he was standing on the sideline and he felt the wind as Griff ran by him.

Oh and Burg, my early departure had nothing to do with you brother. I was spent! It was such an emotional game for me yesterday and given my physical limitations still, it was time to go home. I will say this about the fans where I was sitting, they were GREAT! I do know what you are talking about, I have seen it plenty in about 15 games over the last 3 and a half seasons since my return from FL. The worst was the night Philly smacked us down! I sat in that stadium all 4 quarters in the cold wet rain unable to abandon my team as that stadium turned into a home game for the Fecals.

Goal is right, that TD run from Griff late in the game to seal the deal is exactly what the Redskins have been missing! We have given up too many late game leads because we didn't have a leader behind center. And while I am not a fan of a running QB, it's what he has to do to win for now so I accept and relish it.

We felt that wind in the stands about 25 ft away last night as Griff ran for a 76 yard scamper to win the game. If we carry that up to NYC where the Giants have struggled putting together a full game, we will be in sole possession of first place in the division going into Pittsburgh who has a defense that is older and slower. Am I getting too excited.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know. Was just teasing. I usually enjoy meeting all those I chat with whether we agree on the board or not. That was a roller coaster. The first quarter was breaking my heart, then the 2nd and third had me soaring... and I'd be lying if I said Norvitus wasn't impacting me in the 4th.

Still, that was a game that I was really happy to be a part of.

i enjoyed the writeup :)

i'm embracing the winning... it's part of my (albeit arrogant, and constant :) ) attacking of the people who are ridiculing the coaching staff a few weeks into his rookie season. i think they're trying to get him adjusted, and craft a long term game plan the right way. they're not always right, but i really think they're on the right track. this is only the beginning of what i think is going to be an era we talk about around the thanksgiving table when we're all old. we're going to be 'that guy'...

"is grampa talking about RG3 again?"
"yup..."

there are going to be bumps in the road. but Griffin is better than advertised. he's so much better it's not something you can describe - you have to witness it.

he's not just our star quarterback. he's not just a successful draft pick.

he's the leader of this franchise, and he's going to be that for a long time.

it's going to take time for the fruit to bare. but my god, we have not just a quarterback but a true leader with a real desire to win.

The winds of change huh? I like it. Things are starting to go in a different direction. For example there are a few key stats i want to point out
1. Griffin is the only QB with a completion percentage over 70%
2. the offense is tied for 2nd in total points

3. (and this one shocked me the MOST) is i saw a stat flash across the screen this past weekend that this season, the Redskins have faced a "goal" situation 12 times this season... and of those 12 trips into the 10 yard line... 11 TDs and 1 FG.

If we carry that up to NYC where the Giants have struggled putting together a full game, we will be in sole possession of first place in the division going into Pittsburgh who has a defense that is older and slower. Am I getting too excited.

It was great to see the team win yesterday - finally a Monday morning without the hangover of another loss pounding in my head. But I'm not very hopeful about next weekend. We've not had good luck there, and the Gianst will be looking to avenge our sweep of them last season. The best thing we have going for us is that, despite Coughlin's efforts to the contrary, I can't help but think they'll take us lightly having just played the game of their season so far in smashing the formidable 49ers.

We will have to play an inspired, mistake-free game to have a chance. I'd like to be optimistic, but I'm not.

I don't even necessarily think that we need to walk into New York next week and win to help get me believing that this team is turning a corner.

It's all in how we handle ourselves in the bully's backyard. You know the Giants are going to want to get after Robert and try to intimidate us, and impose their physicality on a relatively young and inexperienced Redskins roster. They will use their track record over the past 5 odd seasons or so to try and get our guys to believe they don't stand a chance against the big, bad "Blue".

Over the course of the past several seasons, we'd routinely walk into New York, look unprepared, breakdown mentally and be called for numerous false starts and other penalties, and most of all, be pushed around by their defense and be staring at 2 and 14 and 3rd and 10 repeatedly on offense.

Provided we stay away from the type of game I described in the paragraph above, I'll walk away encouraged about what we are creating in Washington. On the other hand, if we get thoroughly smashed, I'm going to lean towards believing that outside of Robert Griffin, we've got our work cut out for us and are possibly staring at 4th place in the NFC East for the next couple seasons in all reality.

Regardless, next week is a crucial measuring stick in terms of this team's maturation.

3. (and this one shocked me the MOST) is i saw a stat flash across the screen this past weekend that this season, the Redskins have faced a "goal" situation 12 times this season... and of those 12 trips into the 10 yard line... 11 TDs and 1 FG.

hah

i'm used to that looking like 2 TD's, 6 FG's, 3 turn overs/missed FG's

It was great to see the team win yesterday - finally a Monday morning without the hangover of another loss pounding in my head. But I'm not very hopeful about next weekend. We've not had good luck there, and the Gianst will be looking to avenge our sweep of them last season. The best thing we have going for us is that, despite Coughlin's efforts to the contrary, I can't help but think they'll take us lightly having just played the game of their season so far in smashing the formidable 49ers.

We will have to play an inspired, mistake-free game to have a chance. I'd like to be optimistic, but I'm not.

They have been playing extremely inconsistent at home...it's the road games they've dominated. They lost to the Cowboys, barely escaped a loss to the Bucs and the Browns played them very tough in the Meadowlands.

I see Mike's got the Scorpions covered. Good job.

I'm not expecting a win, exactly, but I hardly consider this a W on the Giants record either. After all, Rex Grossman beat these guys twice last season. Think about that for a minute. Rex Grossman. Are you kidding me!?! Neither contest was particularly close and the second time happened just as the Giants were rounding into Super Bowl form.

Our current roster is built to play the Giants and they are basically the same team they were last year when we beat them twice. No exceptional new talent on either side of the ball. So while I won't predict a win by the Skins, I see no reason the NFCE can't be tied up by the time Sunday night football comes on.

Funny, isn't it? We're going on the road to play the defending Super Bowl champions, who are fresh off a road beatdown of another Super Bowl contender...and in our hearts of hearts we know how dissappointed we'll be if we lose. The brain knows it's a rookie QB's learning season, and that the OL and secondary are at least a year away from going from liability to at least even strength...but the heart has a mind of its own.

Expectations are a strange animal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.