• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

C-A-P-S

It doesn’t help that the guy on the passing end of the overwhelmingly majority of just goals just had to walk away from the game

I haven't watched much Caps hockey this year, actually really any hockey this year and I don't know why lol. So for those who do watch a good bit is it the team or has Ovi really slowed down that much in one off season??

Ovi has scored a goal in each of the last 3 games. That brings him to 11 for the season.

Ovi has scored a goal in each of the last 3 games. That brings him to 11 for the season.

I get that, I follow the stats and such just not the games, was more asking about the composition of the team and how if could be affecting his play

I haven't watched much Caps hockey this year, actually really any hockey this year and I don't know why lol. So for those who do watch a good bit is it the team or has Ovi really slowed down that much in one off season??

Yes he's slowed down but that's not all of it.

Backstrom has basically retired, having walked away from the game after apparently not being able to really recover from a hip injury. Backstrom has been a mainstay on the ice with Ovi through the years, and they've basically played together since Backstrom was drafted the year after Ovie was.

Alex also broke Wayne Gretzky's record for Empty Net goals yesterday making it 57 in his career. Washington has struggled mightily this season so the opportunity of empty netters hasn't been there.

Additionally, the Caps have only been on the power play 142 times thus far... 3rd lowest in the NHL. For reference, the leader has had 196 power plays.

Analytically looking, Ovi's not only taking less shots, but he's converting on a lower rate than he ever has. I think part of this is age, but I also think a big part of it is that teams can key on him that much more. As I said, Backstrom is away. Kuznetsov just entered the Player Assistance program, so as much as he's up and down regularly, he's apparently now been dealing with continued drug use. Something he was suspended for after a picture of him with cocaine surfaced a few years ago. Teams likely also know that Ovi is most likely to be camped in his 'office' and they aren't really threatened by him crashing the net like he did in years past.

The game against the B's was a beauty, I also see what you're saying ST as a large portion of the players on the ice, I really can't say I know. All teams age, looks like the Caps (even thought we've all known it) aged out quickly. However, the youngsters on Saturday were playing tough.

We eeked into the playoffs and are up against a complete team. We might snag a win at home but I can't see us having a shot at winning the playoff series.

I expected it to go 6-7 games. And I expected a bad game, the caps if they play hard can win 2-3 games by 1 goal and lose 2-3 games by 3-4 goals

I think this was kind of to be expected. We just set the record for the lowest goal differential for any team to make the playoffs i think ever (-36).

We weren't supposed to be here. In fact it's a testimant to Carbury, and Charlie Lingren that we got here. It's ironic that we had such a poor goal differential, and i'm crediting the goalie, but he stood on his head for stretches since the trade deadline. We were sellers at the deadline trading away our leader in goals at the time (Mantha). We decided to eat a large amount of money to move on from Kuzy, and everything said this season was over. At the end of the day the biggest benefit of this post season (obviously outside of some completely improbable run), is getting these young guys a feel for the post season.

It's the quick back to back goals we give up all the time that drive me the most insane. It's been going on for years and it has never been stopped

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.