• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2020

We've brought in 15 free agents so far this off-season with only one true starter, Kendal Fuller, and two probable starters in Thomas Davis and Jon Bostic.

The rest are either camp fodder or playing for backup, with probably the exception outside the other 3 previously mentioned, JD McKissick.

The LB situation has me wondering about Ryan Anderson. He has played well, but can he play LB in the 4-3, I think he is just too small to play DE, I don't think he's quick enough to make up for his lack of size.

BB, could Ryan Anderson end up on the trade block?

Last edited:
I don't think as many are 'camp fodder' as we may think. There will be some surprise releases of guys that have been here and that we thought would be here. There also will be guys who haven't looked good who may see a rebirth with new coaches - ones who know what they are doing particularly on defense. I think it's very hard to know who will be in which category. But I believe they think every one of these free agent signings has a good chance to make the roster.

One big positive about a total coaching do-over is that these coaches have zero emotional ties to anyone on the current roster. It will be physical ability, coachability, fit within the scheme, attitude, and work ethic that decide who stays and who goes. I love that part of it.

I don't think as many are 'camp fodder' as we may think. There will be some surprise releases of guys that have been here and that we thought would be here. There also will be guys who haven't looked good who may see a rebirth with new coaches - ones who know what they are doing particularly on defense. I think it's very hard to know who will be in which category. But I believe they think every one of these free agent signings has a good chance to make the roster.

One big positive about a total coaching do-over is that these coaches have zero emotional ties to anyone on the current roster. It will be physical ability, coachability, fit within the scheme, attitude, and work ethic that decide who stays and who goes. I love that part of it.
Actually, I didn't mean to make it sound like most of them were fodder, just some. I believe many were brought in to be backups...we need quality depth.

I was going to go further with my thought on the number of Free Agent signings, but got sidetracked and posted a little early.

I keep hearing about the need for big time names, and I will admit I would like to have seen a couple of the players who signed elsewhere, signed here. And I'm glad we didn't pay Amari Cooper the money.

I just think we are addressing a major need, depth. I think that is what gets missed with these type of Free Agents being brought in. I don't think many of them are starters, but if they can come in as the next man up when a starter goes down, and perform better than what we've had in the past 5 years...that is a major upgrade.

I agree El. I think there's a myth that is oft-repeated regarding what it takes to win in the NFL - that it is having a certain # of 'stars' that's required. The truth is, these stars often go down over the course of the season. It's who those 'next men up' are and how well they fit what you do that often makes the difference, not how many headliner big name signings you have. My opinion.

We've brought in 15 free agents so far this off-season with only one true starter, Kendal Fuller, and two probable starters in Thomas Davis and Jon Bostic.

The rest are either camp fodder or playing for backup, with probably the exception outside the other 3 previously mentioned, JD McKissick.

The LB situation has me wondering about Ryan Anderson. He has played well, but can he play LB in the 4-3, I think he is just too small to play DE, I don't think he's quick enough to make up for his lack of size.

BB, could Ryan Anderson end up on the trade block?

Be patient with me for a moment...

When Shanahan became coach of the Skins, BBQ was just getting started. I really didn't know what he would do in year one except one thing - running back. Knowing what the Redskins needed/wanted, I went with two latter round prospects in all of the mocks - Evan Royster and Roy Helu. I felt like a genius, but then I busted on free agency and the rest of the draft.

When Jay Gruden became the coach, I had the same problem. I didn't know who the Redskins would target in free agency or the draft. Jay had never been a head coach and that made it even more of a challenge. I did ok that first year, but that is being kind to myself.

Fast forward to Ron Rivera. I did have two targets in free agency chosen correctly (Amari Cooper and Austin Hooper - both players had the Redskins as their second choice). Every player added in free agency has been a total miss by me - and it is not even close. One thing I do know about the draft - Chase Young is all but locked in. After the first round, I have no clue.

So, Ryan Anderson. The only thing I can say is that we'll see what happens.

FYI...

A quarterback will no longer be mocked by BBQ this offseason. Haskins and Allen are 1 and 2. Josh Woodrum is on the roster, but I do think the next QB that is added will be an UDFA. Look for QBs like Shea Patterson, Kelly Bryant, Bryce Perkins, Brian Lewerke, Jake Luton, and Riley Neal.

Give him a ton of credit for continuing to try and battle back.

Give him a ton of credit for continuing to try and battle back.
Between him and Junior Gallete over this pst few years here...those guys deserve mad props for how they're handling their situations.

Liked Darby when he came out and had hoped the Skins would draft him. Hoped we'd take a shot at him when he became a free agent with Buffalo.
If he's healthy, he can help.

Some Darby nuggets:

5'11" 193 lbs
Just 26 years old
Went to Potomac HS in Oxon Hill, MD
2nd round pick in 2015 draft (Buffalo). Panther's had him visit and had big interest.
Florida State DB
Traded to Philly for a 3rd round pick and Jordan Matthews in 2017.
Placed on late season IR by Eagles in late 2018 and 2019. His injuries have included a dislocated ankle, torn ACL, and a hip injury. ACL tear was 2 years ago.
Started 27 games for Eagles over past 3 seasons.
Ran 4.38 40 yd dash in 2015 combine.

Some Darby nuggets:

5'11" 193 lbs
Just 26 years old
Went to Potomac HS in Oxon Hill, MD
2nd round pick in 2015 draft (Buffalo). Panther's had him visit and had big interest.
Florida State DB
Traded to Philly for a 3rd round pick and Jordan Matthews in 2017.
Placed on late season IR by Eagles in late 2018 and 2019. His injuries have included a dislocated ankle, torn ACL, and a hip injury. ACL tear was 2 years ago.
Started 27 games for Eagles over past 3 seasons.
Ran 4.38 40 yd dash in 2015 combine.

And Darby's favorite player growing up was Darrell Green.

Listen, I am not completely opposed to signing Darby, but when we have injury after injury this season, and he's one of them...don't wonder why this team has so many on IR.

This guy has ended the past 2 seasons on IR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.