• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner’s Burning Questions – The Mock Draft (Continual Updates)

Thursday night is round one. Friday night is rounds two and three. Saturday is rounds four through seven.

When the draft ends, teams can sign undrafted free agents.

With Polumbus, Pashos, Trueblood and Compton in the fold, why on earth would we draft this guy to play RT?

It probably wouldn't cost much to get rid of the first three but Compton is young and you don't want to throw a guy like Armstead in there at RT from Day 1 with RG3 coming back from knee surgery. You also would never be able to stash him on the practice squad so that means you pretty much have to keep either Polumbus, Pashos or Trueblood as well as Armstead on the 53. In addition, if you try to stash Compton on the PS again, you run the risk of him getting claimed like he did last year when we had to add him to the 53.

I'm NOT AGAINST drafting Armstead, as he may be more capable of playing LT than the others should Trent Williams get hurt or suspended, but it complicates things when you have all those other guys already in place. It might be a nice complication to have but drafting him to play him at RT doesn't make a lot of sense. I would think he sits inactive until Trent needs a breather and work him exclusively at LT during Training Camp. Just my 2 pennies.

Armstead is athletic enough to play Guard, possibly even TE. Polumbus is awful, Pashos is no sure thing, and Trueblood is average. Compton may not pan out. Would not surprise me at all to see an OT drafted, especially a guy like Armstead. I don't know if he'll last until 51st, however.

Thanks for all the nice compliments.

And your mocks, ideas, insights, and suggestions have been awesome. Keep it coming!

Burner’s Burning Questions – The Mock Draft, Part Fourteen (Continual Updates)

The 2013 NFL Draft is upon us as BBQ continues a series of mock drafts. These mocks have been based on team needs, free agency additions/losses, and injuries. This is the fourteenth mock of the new season. Two more are forthcoming – tomorrow and a special Saturday mock for remaining draft picks. Many thanks for your own ideas and mocks – keep them coming until the final choices are made.

Team needs center mostly on the defensive secondary, but depth is needed at several positions too.

Round 2:
With a draft that is deep in talent at many positions, the Redskins trade down to the middle of round three and pick up a fourth rounder and a sixth rounder.

Round 3:
Philip Thomas – Safety, Fresno State
The Redskins waste no time in upgrading a horrible secondary and in particular, their safety corps. Thomas has a nose for the ball and he is an interception machine.

Round 3:
Darius Slay – Cornerback, Mississippi State
The number one need for the Redskins is safety, but it is a deep class and the Redskins choose to fill a need that is “One-A” on the priority list – a CB. Slay was certainly a star at the combine, but he actually has superior skills at the corner position. He could start sooner rather than later. Slay is an underrated prospect who had a solid senior campaign. He has phenomenal speed, good coverage skills, and better than average size.

Round 4:
Nick Kasa – Tight End, Colorado
Kasa is a massive TE with natural ability as a pass catcher. He would be a force on the offensive line, an asset in the running game, and a potent weapon in the passing game.

Round 4:
Kwame Geathers – Defensive Tackle, Georgia
Which is bigger in the state of Georgia – Kwame Geathers or Stone Mountain? Geathers is a large tackle who can occupy two offensive linemen with ease, but he is not an every down player. However, he would be a good fit in the Redskins 3-4 defense.

Round 5:
Will Davis – Cornerback, Utah State
Davis is a cornerback who has the uncanny ability to improve in each and every game – and did so for the Aggies. Once an unheralded prospect, he could become an absolute stud in the NFL.

Round 5:
Stefphon Jefferson – Running Back, Nevada
We don’t need a running back? Ok, that’s fine, but Mike Shanahan has this uncanny habit of finding hidden gems at this position and Jefferson fits the bill. Many scouts are calling him this year’s Alfred Morris. Jefferson’s offense ran the pistol and he had a great year. His character is rated as extremely high. Enough said.

Round 6:
Kevin Reddick – Linebacker, North Carolina
Reddick had a slow start in 2012, but the second half of the season was considerably better. He is not a good fit in a 4-3 scheme, but could do well as a 3-4 inside linebacker. Early on, he will need to be a special teams standout and he has the skills to do so.

Round 6:
Omoregie Uzzi – Guard, Georgia Tech
Uzzi is a prospect that would be a very poor fit in traditional blocking schemes, but a perfect fit for the zone blocking teams. He is very mobile and continues to play with a high motor until the whistle is blown.

Round 7:
Cooper Taylor – Safety, Richmond
Taylor is another outstanding prospect from the small school ranks and could have a good impact at the next level. The versatile player can play either safety position. He might be a candidate for a linebacker position as well, but not likely.

UDFAs:
1. Lucas Reed – TE, New Mexico
2. Elvis Fisher – OT, Missouri
3. Jeff Braun – OT, West Virginia
4. T.J. Barnes – DT, Georgia Tech
5. Steve Greer – ILB, Virginia
6. Trey Wilson – CB, Vanderbilt
7. Alex Dunnachie - P, Hawaii
8. Brandon Kaufman – WR, Eastern Washington
9. James Wilson – G, Florida
10. Mark Jackson – G, Glenville St
11. Miguel Maysonet – RB, Stony Brook
12. Dalton Freeman – C, Clemson
13. Rontez Miles – S, California (PA)
14. Tino Sunseri – QB, Pittsburgh
15. Demetrius McCray – CB, Appalachian St
16. Ray Ray Armstrong – S, Miami

Analysis:
It is no secret that the Redskins are looking to upgrade their defensive secondary. It would not be surprising to see the first two choices reflecting that need. This mock simply confirms what could possibly occur with these needs.

BBQ mock fourteen has an early trade that could produce a talented tight end pick early in the fourth round. If this occurs, don’t be surprised if the Redskins decide to jettison Fred Davis at some point.

Later in the mock, more picks are dedicated to the defensive secondary, offensive line, defensive tackle, and linebacker positions. These choices will simply add more depth where it is needed in the next few years. Too, the obligatory Mike Shanahan running back selection is highlighted in the fifth round.

Both Dion and now Dez say that Honey Badger is the best player in the draft.

First, **** both of those guys.

With that said, I'd love to get him in the fourth......but there's no way he's dropping that far.

Vegas over/under on Honey Badger is that he's taken at 75.5.

Also, if he's taken in the first round, $100 pays $3,200.

Both Dion and now Dez say that Honey Badger is the best player in the draft.

First, **** both of those guys.

With that said, I'd love to get him in the fourth......but there's no way he's dropping that far.
Saw that.

Sure glad they don't have the ear of our Front Office.....maybe not so good if you're a Dallas fan though...lol

Seemed like a decent run on safeties yesterday, still some good ones left?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Burner’s Burning Questions – The Mock Draft, Part Fifteen (Continual Updates)

The 2013 NFL Draft has arrived for the Redskins and BBQ continues a series of mock drafts. These mocks have been based on team needs, free agency additions/losses, and injuries. This is the fifteenth mock of the new season and tomorrow we will feature a special Saturday mock for remaining draft picks. Many thanks for your own ideas and mocks – keep them coming until the final choices are made.

Team needs center mostly on the defensive secondary, but depth is needed at several positions too.

Round 2:
With a draft that is deep in talent at many positions, the Redskins trade down to the middle of round three and pick up a fourth rounder and a sixth rounder.

Round 3:
Philip Thomas – Safety, Fresno State
The Redskins waste no time in upgrading a horrible secondary and in particular, their safety corps. Thomas has a nose for the ball and he is an interception machine.

Round 3:
D.J. Swearinger – Safety, South Carolina
The second order of business for the Redskins on day two of the draft continues to focus on the safety positions. They choose Swearinger, a player who has a bit of a nasty streak about him.

Round 4:
Montori Hughes – Defensive Tackle, Tennessee-Martin
Hughes comes from a small school, but could have a big impact at the next level. His stats are impressive and he had a very impressive 2012 campaign. In order for the secondary to improve, the defensive front needs to be strengthened and Hughes can bring the heat.

Round 4:
Terry Hawthorne – Cornerback, Illinois
The remaking of the defensive secondary continues. Hawthorne has good size and quickness for a CB and is very physical. His performance in the Shrine game boosted his stock.

Round 5:
Stefphon Jefferson – Running Back, Nevada
We don’t need a running back? Ok, that’s fine, but Mike Shanahan has this uncanny habit of finding hidden gems at this position and Jefferson fits the bill. Many scouts are calling him this year’s Alfred Morris. Jefferson’s offense ran the pistol and he had a great year. His character is rated as extremely high. Enough said.

Round 5:
Will Davis – Cornerback, Utah State
After taking two safeties earlier, the Redskins add a second CB in the draft. Davis has the uncanny ability to improve in each and every game – and did so for the Aggies. Once an unheralded prospect, he could become an absolute stud in the NFL.

Round 6:
Kevin Reddick – Linebacker, North Carolina
Reddick had a slow start in 2012, but the second half of the season was considerably better. He is not a good fit in a 4-3 scheme, but could do well as a 3-4 inside linebacker. Early on, he will need to be a special teams standout and he has the skills to do so.

Round 6:
Omoregie Uzzi – Guard, Georgia Tech
Uzzi is a prospect that would be a very poor fit in traditional blocking schemes, but a perfect fit for the zone blocking teams. He is very mobile and continues to play with a high motor until the whistle is blown.

Round 7:
Mychal Rivera – Tight End, Tennessee
No too long ago, Rivera was considered to be a third or fourth round prospect. The talented TE had a good Senior Bowl, but did not stand out at the Combine. However, Rivera is bigger and stronger than Niles Paul as the third year player is put on notice.

UDFAs:
1. Lucas Reed – TE, New Mexico
2. Elvis Fisher – OT, Missouri
3. Jeff Braun – OT, West Virginia
4. T.J. Barnes – DT, Georgia Tech
5. Steve Greer – ILB, Virginia
6. Trey Wilson – CB, Vanderbilt
7. Alex Dunnachie - P, Hawaii
8. Brandon Kaufman – WR, Eastern Washington
9. James Wilson – G, Florida
10. Mark Jackson – G, Glenville St
11. Miguel Maysonet – RB, Stony Brook
12. Dalton Freeman – C, Clemson
13. Rontez Miles – S, California (PA)
14. Tino Sunseri – QB, Pittsburgh
15. Demetrius McCray – CB, Appalachian St
16. Ray Ray Armstrong – S, Miami
17. Cooper Taylor – S, Richmond

Analysis:
It is no secret that the Redskins are looking to upgrade their defensive secondary. It would not be surprising to see the first two choices reflecting that need. This mock simply confirms what could possibly occur with these needs.

BBQ mock fifteen has major changes from previous mocks and as Coach Shanahan indicated in his pre-draft press conference, the Redskins will have a focus on the secondary. This is hardly a secret, but the emphasis at these vital positions is now all but confirmed by the head coach.

Later in the mock, more picks are dedicated to the defensive secondary, offensive line, defensive line, tight end, and linebacker positions. These choices will simply add more depth where it is needed in the next few years. Too, the obligatory Mike Shanahan running back selection is highlighted in the fifth round.

Round 2:
A 3rd, 4th and 6th for moving into the bottom of the 2nd?

Read it again...

"Round 2:
With a draft that is deep in talent at many positions, the Redskins trade down to the middle of round three and pick up a fourth rounder and a sixth rounder."

The Redskins would be moving down. They would be dropping down about twenty-five choices and get a 4th and 6th in the process. Again, this is just a mock.

I may release a "straight up" mock (with no trades) for release at about 5pm EDT if the members here would like to see it. It would be "unofficial", so to speak.

Cali, that's out of the 2nd round altogether. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if we moved out of the round 2 but I don't think we move as far down as BB suggests. If somehow Jonathan Banks or Jamar Taylor is still there at 51, we make that pick.

BB, if you feel strongly that we're going to trade down then I don't see much point in making a mock with no trades. That's something I do because I don't have your feel for trades and I really enjoy your speculation. Besides, your mocks have continuouosly changed my attitude on who's going to be available at certain spots when I was sure they wouldn't be. The latest "expert" mocks showed you were ahead of the curve all along. :thumbsup:

I gotta say Mike Mayock was on the money for about 4-5 picks through the middle of round 1 last night. He called the EJ Manuel pick just before it happened...then a few others in succession.

Now, I saw that Cyprien made it through the 1st which was a question mark...any way he falls far enough?

If I do this no trade mock, then you will be totally shocked at the second round pick.

And thanks for the nice compliment Jimbo. True, we may not trade down as far as has been suggested in the mock, but I have feeling that Bruce will still get the two extra picks - he is shrewd and a great wheeler-dealer.

As for Cyprien, I would love for him to fall to 51. Just don't see that happening, but who though Floyd would last until 23? I was sure that the Cowboys were going to take him and then they traded down further in the first for a third round graded center, lol. Only Jerruh.

Last edited:
Oddly enough El, the Day 2 Bleacher Report mock (Ty Schalter) has the Steelers taking Banks at #48, the Giants taking Manti Te'o at #49, Da Bears taking Terron Armstead at #50, us taking Darius Slay at #51 and New England taking Cyprien at #52 so I suppose it's possible for Cyprien to fall that far. I'd be surprised but I'd sure as heck make that pick. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Pats leapfrog us to make sure they get him.

I'm guessing if Banks or Cyprien are there at #51, me make the pick. If not, we trade down.

OK BB, now I'm intrigued to see your mock with NO trades just to see who you think we grab in round 2. ;)

Evan Silva jumping on the "Redskins are taking a WR at 51" train.

I like it.

51. Redskins -- Tennessee Tech WR Da'Rick Rogers

Mike Shanahan could envision Rogers as his next Brandon Marshall.

Evan Silva jumping on the "Redskins are taking a WR at 51" train.

I like it.

51. Redskins -- Tennessee Tech WR Da'Rick Rogers

Mike Shanahan could envision Rogers as his next Brandon Marshall.

Mr. McD5 is on to something. I'm leaning in this direction, but it is not Rogers.

Details coming at 5pm EDT. :)

Mr. McD5 is on to something. I'm leaning in this direction, but it is not Rogers.

Details coming at 5pm EDT. :)

I've felt this way for some time. Yes, our D blows. But we aren't going to win unless we can put up the points.

Mannings (both) had great receivers. Drew Brees has great receivers.

We need great receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.