• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Breaking News Thread

Yeah coaching is more than likely the main culprit but dude just doesn’t bring all that comforting factor either.

Good place for him. Takes temptation away from this club and gets him out of the NFC just in case....

Well, once again I think Alex Smith heard some scuttlebutt about his pending release and decided to do the GQ article to ensure that Dan Snyder and Ron Rivera didn't get any credit for being patient and bringing Alex along in 2020 so the team could win the NFC East.

He wanted to direct the narrative so that it was Alex himself that saved the 2020 season and rather than being supported by anyone he accomplished all by himself.

The problem is that while all the attention in the GQ article is on Smith himself and the coaching staff/owner, the truth is Chase Young and a host of other players made big plays in those games that Smith 'won' for the team that really made the difference.

The defense beat San Francisco. The defense crushed Dallas in that second meeting. And in the last game, the Eagles surrendered in the fourth quarter by putting Nate Sudfeld on the field. And then the defense turned him over.

My point is that Smith himself seems to forget this is a team game and that 5-1 record he was on the field for was in large measure the result of the entire 45 man active roster contributing to get the job done.

Outside of the Steelers game I didn't see Smith as necessarily the dominant or key figure. He managed the games and again outside of the NY game limited the mistakes on offense and allowed other players to excel.

That's good. But it's not something you build a monument to.

And the ring of fame? Not in any discussion I am having.

This is an unfortunate end to what was a great story.

I have so much respect for what Alex overcame but the simple fact is that he needs to move to the next stage. If he were my son that is what I would advise with all of the compassion and understanding that I could muster.

Unfortunately, this happens with athletes. They refuse to believe the end is coming. Smith only played in 6 games and was hurt badly enough with the calf to miss 4 games. He no doubt looks at the 5-1 record and thinks he was 'back' before the calf, but again in those games turnovers created by the defense and particularly the disruptive play of Chase Young was a clear difference-maker.

Right now if you look around the NFL which team is going to sign Alex Smith and legitimately tell him he is being brought in with a chance to prove he can start at age 37 with his injury history?

Yes, there are teams like Green Bay and Kansas City that are contenders that could use a reliable backup behind their stars for 2021. But those again would be clear backup roles and the hit on the cap with those clubs would have to be minimal given their cap situations and free agents to sign.

And that's if they are interested.

A lot of quarterbacks don't know when to retire. The list is long and well documented. From a Joe Namath playing for the Rams with two surgically repaired knees to Johnny Unitas playing at age 41 on the horrendous 1974 Chargers to more recent examples of quarterbacks like Troy Aikman finally retiring after his umpteenth concussion in 1999 and the current situation with Drew Brees at 42, who is facing shoulder surgery if he wants to continue playing his final year(s) as his performance steadily declines.

One would think with the money he has made and the fact he made it back onto the field in 2020 that Smith would walk away into the sunset.

But that quarterback ego often gets in the way.

And that's what we have with Smith in that GQ article.

So...the Team decided, after the cheer leaders came out against the terrible conditions they faced while members of the "First Ladies of Football," that they would fire every single cheer leader and their director and replace them.

I spoke to my friend whose daughter just became a Redskinette last year at the age of 18, a lifelong dream of her's. The Team didn't even have the courtesy to call her to let her know they were letting her, and the rest of the team go.

I don't care that they are now going to have a co-ed dance team to replace them, but they decided that the best way to inform all of the cheer leaders they were fired was to let them see it in the headlines. And so far, it looks like not a single one of them will be able to try to return to the dance team.

And some wonder why I gave up on this organization. Nothing's changed, even with all the personnel changes in the front office, they still have an owner who is complete scum.

So...the Team decided, after the cheer leaders came out against the terrible conditions they faced while members of the "First Ladies of Football," that they would fire every single cheer leader and their director and replace them.

I spoke to my friend whose daughter just became a Redskinette last year at the age of 18, a lifelong dream of her's. The Team didn't even have the courtesy to call her to let her know they were letting her, and the rest of the team go.

I don't care that they are now going to have a co-ed dance team to replace them, but they decided that the best way to inform all of the cheer leaders they were fired was to let them see it in the headlines. And so far, it looks like not a single one of them will be able to try to return to the dance team.

And some wonder why I gave up on this organization. Nothing's changed, even with all the personnel changes in the front office, they still have an owner who is complete scum.

From what I have seen reported, there was a zoom call scheduled with the entire cheerleading team to notify them of the shift and half the team opted to not participate because the program was 'suspended.' I also understand that the cheerleaders are on a 1 year contract and they are required to try out every year... so their contracts for 2020 had expired and they had suspended the cheer program, therefore they were not fired.

Now I don't ACTUALLY know if this is the case, but it would make a lot of sense. If in fact they found all of this out via twitter that kind of sucks, but companies and businesses make decisions all the time without notifying and consulting contracted team members. I'm not necessarily justifying, but I also don't think it's as bad as things have been talked about just yet...

Sounds to me like they just bungled the handling of it... honestly at this point they should understand everything they do is under a microscope and they are not going to get any benefit of the doubt. Nothing against the women involved, but NFL ‘cheerleading’ if we’re being honest is exploitative and misogynistic, even if there are plenty of women who pursue it, enjoy it, and get benefits from it.It’s no longer ‘cheering’, it’s hyper-sexualized shaking of T&A.

We don’t really need this imho. I’m a little perplexed that they’d immediately replace it with a Co-Ed dance troupe.

As far as the outraged cheerleaders, not like they all weren’t well aware the continuation of the program was in question. I think the bungling of how it was handled is just being used to express their anger that something they were involved in has been shut down.

Yeah imho cancel the program and shelf anything like it for 3-5 years. If you want to bring out a 'group' to help promote the team the same way the Capitals have the Red Rockers, and the Nationals have the Nat Pack... that's fine. If you want to have 'dancers' so be it, whatever, but to suspend the program and roll out this 'new' thing so quickly is just pointless imho.

The mishandling of this is not surprising. Like many other things with this organization, the reason behind the decisions suck. They got rid of the cheerleading program because of the scandal, not because the concept is outdated or because they feel it’s not appropriate. It is 100% a result of the scandal. I try to look at the decisions and say that if it’s the right move, then who cares what the motives are. But this organization has earned zero credibility when it comes to these decisions.

Again, any criminal or civil offense against any employee by Washington executives needs to be prosecuted where possible keeping in mind the statute of limitations. That includes the cheerleaders.

However, I am interested in NFL football. If the issue is one of HOW someone learned their cheerleading contract was being terminated or not extended, I really don't care and don't want to read about it in the sports pages.

As long as they were paid for the services they rendered in 2020 per their contracts.

Let's put the emphasis back on what is happening on the field.

Ron Rivera and Martin Mayhew are stand-up guys and I am looking forward to improvements in the offseason and growth in 2021.

I know some folks will object to the very idea of "cheerleaders' in our modern culture. I will share this story:

It was 2013 and I was still living in the Richmond area. My niece, who I adore, had broken her arm very badly doing gymnastics and was in the hospital for pins and plates while camp was going on and was not going to be able to go with me. My sons both follow football casually but my niece had watched games with me since she was old enough to sit upright. Anyway, while she was still in recovery in the children's ward when they got a visit from two of the first ladies of football and Keyaron Fox who played 8 years in the league, one with the Skins mostly as a special teams guy. They could not have been nicer.

The ladies of course were very attractive and outgoing but more importantly they were fantastic with the kids as ambassadors for the team. While I stood off to the side and talked football stuff with Keyaron (who was super nice too) my niece was enthralled by the first ladies and enjoyed the time they were able to give to her. So if this is the end I send the ladies and the team ambassadors a big thanks. It's something my niece will never forget.

1614877562265.jpeg

The elimination of cheerleaders and other non-football entertainers employed by NFL teams is of course more about the inability of team and league executives to act in a professional manner and maintain a professional work environment.

The kinds of things Alex Santos and others reportedly said to Washington Post reporters and internal hires would have been cause for immediate dismissal in any other business.

I feel bad for college interns and professional women who accepted jobs with the organization in attempts to further their careers and ended up in an environment more immature than a high school locker room.

Again, any criminal or civil offense against any employee by Washington executives needs to be prosecuted where possible keeping in mind the statute of limitations. That includes the cheerleaders.

However, I am interested in NFL football. If the issue is one of HOW someone learned their cheerleading contract was being terminated or not extended, I really don't care and don't want to read about it in the sports pages.

As long as they were paid for the services they rendered in 2020 per their contracts.

Let's put the emphasis back on what is happening on the field.

Ron Rivera and Martin Mayhew are stand-up guys and I am looking forward to improvements in the offseason and growth in 2021.

In a vacuum I agree, but I think what you’re missing is that this is supposed to be a ‘culture change’ regime where all of the old ways of doing things are rehabilitated. When you show the same seeming disregard for basic human consideration (whether we think cheerleaders are dumb or pointless or undesirable) it’s going to piss a lot of folks off and lead them to the conclusion that nothing has changed.

I could care less about us having cheerleaders and a dance troupe sounds even dumber to me. But I get why some are ‘outraged’ over how this was handled. Pretty sorry PR plan and execution at the very least.

aren't they replacing them with men and women? So, its not like the program is going away, they are just revamping it.

I don't know anyone who watches the cheerleaders dance at halftime. that time is for hitting the head and getting more beers.

BREAKING - Sources say cap will be $182.5 mil. This bodes well for Washington, less money for other teams more leverage for us

now being reported by multiple sources

Last edited:
A little more info here

4pm today marks 7 days til the end of the league year... it's about to get BUSY.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.