• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BREAKING NEWS: Redskins to lose $36 Million in Cap Space

You know what is maddening about this?

If Shanahan, like Irsay, had simply released Haynesworth in 2010 before the $21M payment was due more than half of this penalty wouldn't be there.

All that stubborness only to get a lousy #5 pick a year and a half later?

These guys just compounded the original Cerrato mistake.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

You know what is maddening about this?

If Shanahan, like Irsay, had simply released Haynesworth in 2010 before the $21M payment was due more than half of this penalty wouldn't be there.

All that stubborness only to get a lousy #5 pick a year and a half later?

These guys just compounded the original Cerrato mistake.

Or if they had just traded him for a 3rd to Tennessee, they would have taken the whole cap hit right then.

Looks like other teams are getting a small slap. The Saints and the Raiders aren't being penalized directly like the Skins and Cowboys but they are not getting the $1.6mill cap bump that the rest of the league is getting due to their own minor violations.

Systematic Salary Dumping on PFT

Saints are involved in every offseason scandal.looks like the halo is off this group.

Again as someone else said, how in the hell do you not justify us dumping Hanyesworth's salary? How?

As I understood it at the time much of his salary for the out years was guaranteed, his guaranteed salary was turned into an upfront roster bonus during the uncapped year. The FO changed the fat bastard's salary to a roster bonus to pay him his guaranteed money before the season started during the uncapped year (and have it count towards the salary cap that didn't exist that year). Great move IMO during an uncapped year within the rules at the time.

But the sour grapes from the other owners is now penalizing the team. I don't think the team could of afforded under the CAP to trade or cut fatty without a "fire sale" the following year.

I may be wrong, but if they just cut him during the uncapped year the way the rules were at the time the team would still be on the hook for dead cap space in 2011 for his guaranteed salary 2011 and beyond since the cap was back. I haven't done the math but I "assume" his and DH salary cap hit come from what this hit would of been last year?

Last edited:
This infuriating, but I think the Skins will weather the storm nevertheless.

However, this is clearly arbitrary and capricious. Besides the fact that there was no written rule that was violated, beside the fact that other teams are not being punished commensurately, beside the fact that the league approved these contracts, one point no seems to be raising - if the salary cap is being retroactively enforced in a non-capped year, why is only the ceiling being enforced -why isn't the salary floor being retroactively enforced and penalties doled out to teams like CIN, JAC? I think they should lose draft picks.

As for trying to fight this - it's not going to happen:
- By the time any positive outcome would come of this, the prime free agents would've already been signed, i.e. mission accomplished
- The Skins need the league office to approve their trade with the Rams
- The Skins don't want any penalties to be assessed with respect to bounties

Trade with Rams will stand. Rookie pool is set no matter what the FA pool and cap is each season.

Another bone to the BGO faithful...

Working on a trade for DHall. Trading him or releasing would save more than $6 mil on the cap this season. Also, get used to the idea of VJax in a Redskins uniform.

With all the head fakes and behind the back passes over the years, if the Redskins are able to actually put the ball in the basket nobody will cheer louder than me.

I went to Minneapolis for XXVI and while I thought with anolder team it may be some time before the Skins were in another Super Bowl, I was thinking 3-5 years not 20 plus years!

Trade with Rams will stand. Rookie pool is set no matter what the FA pool and cap is each season.

Working on a trade for DHall. Trading him or releasing would save more than $6 mil on the cap this season. Also, get used to the idea of VJax in a Redskins uniform.

So you're on board with parting with Hall now?:smile2:

If Hall's is removed from the roster, how is he replaced?

Ok, this was said privately about fifteen minutes ago - but it will probably be out there soon. So I will post it here...

GM Allen said that we are solidly fine with the cap for each year.

It sounds like they knew there would be a penalty, but it was better to take that hit when compared to the ton of releases and restructures that would've occurred.

Interesting.
HA! Kind of reminds me of Wimpy. "Kind sir, I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

So you're on board with parting with Hall now?:smile2:

If Hall's is removed from the roster, how is he replaced?

Didn't say I was on board or off board. Just shared something. Something else to share. Orakpo was offered as part of the trade with the Rams at one point.

So...

Guess who else could be traded. Highly unlikely though, but you never know.

If Hall departs, a FA will be brought in. It will not be Carr.

Yeah but we need help in the secondary now. Releasing DH doesn't help unless we are doing an Indy move and going all in on a long term re-building project (which I am OK with BTW).

I don't see how VJax fits in unless the FO thinks we are only a year or 2 away from competing for the SB or he will be a superstar for 5 or more years.

I would prefer we get younger and reload with draft picks and and undrafted/cheap FA this and next year with the latest breaking news.

Some OL that helps keep our new QB from getting creamed though would be nice...

Didn't say I was on board or off board. Just shared something. Something else to share. Orakpo was offered as part of the trade with the Rams at one point.

So...

Guess who else could be traded. Highly unlikely though, but you never know.

If Hall departs, a FA will be brought in. It will not be Carr.

I realize Carr is probably not in the Cards now. Will they get the $6MM cap savings for Hall if he is traded or only if he is released?

It's better to move on from Atogwe and Hall. Neither player is getting better with age and younger players or cheaper players can replace the production.

The Redskins better make drafting a middle linebacker part of the equation. This team to me is still far enough away that a big contract for London Fletcher would be money better spent elsewhere.

Atogwe was one of the major mistakes the current regime has made in terms of personnel evaluation to go along with McNabb and Jammal Brown.

At least we didn't give up a draft pick for Atogwe.

I realize Carr is probably not in the Cards now. Will they get the $6MM cap savings for Hall if he is traded or only if he is released?

Traded or released, it would be a little over $6 mil in cap relief.

Releasing Sellers and OJ today created $4.5 mil for 2012 and $5.3 mil for 2013.

How can the league penalize a team for contracts IT approved? And the day before FA starts to boot. Goodell does what he wants and the ONLY way to stop him is a lawsuit. Would LOVE to see Danny and Jerruh join forces and file suit. Making it up as you go along, as Goodell often does, should not and can not be allowed and Fuehrer Goodell needs to be ousted.

Glad to see Sellers go. He was mentioned as a leader but consistently made boneheaded plays on the field to cost the team with unsportsmanlike fouls and dropped blocking assignments.

Traded or released, it would be a little over $6 mil in cap relief.

Releasing Sellers and OJ today created $4.5 mil for 2012 and $5.3 mil for 2013.

Saw that. Anyone have an updated cap number? If we assume they split the $36MM evenly across both years, do they have like $29MM in cap space this year, is that right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.