• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BREAKING NEWS: Redskins to lose $36 Million in Cap Space

1067thefan is reporting that the Bears did the exact same thing with Julius Peppers. No punishment though.

So this is fun:

Q: Why isn't the union challenging this?

A: While this behavior seems to fit the very dictionary definition of collusion, as multiple teams were engaged in discussions to limit the earning potential of their employees and prospective employees, do not expect it to be challenged in court. The decision today, in which the Redskins were docked $36 million in cap space and the Cowboys $10 million, is the result of a settlement between the NFL and the NFLPA. One reason the union has no problem with it is that the money lost to the Cowboys and Redskins is not taken out of the overall 2012 spending pool — each of 28 other teams gets $1.6 million extra in cap room, so there's no net loss league-wide. Another reason the union won't push on it is because they agreed, as part of the settlement of last year's Brady vs. NFL federal lawsuit, to drop all pending legal action against the league. That included their claims that the league engaged in collusion in 2010.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/36904/qa-on-the-cowboys-redskins-cap-mess

In other words, the league blackmailed the union from protesting about this by promising to lower the salary cap (which would = less money for free agents) if the union complained.

Full of awesome.

I hope RG3 rifles a pass right into Goodell's smug face, Varsity Blues style. Damn this makes me so mad!!

It's all jealousy.

The thing I find most interesting is that we had an uncapped year because the small market teams could deal with the teams of the last CBA and wanted to opt out. Then those same small market teams got mad because larger market, richer clubs took advantage of a situation that the small market clubs created.

Irony, they name is NFL.

In other words, the league blackmailed the union from protesting about this by promising to lower the salary cap (which would = less money for free agents) if the union complained.

Full of awesome.

To quote Rich Tandler: "I'm no lawyer, but I think union-sanctioned collusion is still collusion."

To quote Rich Tandler: "I'm no lawyer, but I think union-sanctioned collusion is still collusion."

You know, if I recall correctly (and I may not), I seem to remember the union crying about collusion during the 2010 season because they said there were n't a lot of offers for free agents, which they said was a result of the owners working together to keep salaries down.

The owners, again, if I recall correctly, specifically pointed to Fat Al and Miles Austin as examples that they weren't holding costs down.

This just keeps getting better and better. BB, have you heard anything from Ashburn? Is Dan about to pull a Linda Blair?

The other owners could have done the same thing, just didn't have the stones to do so.

This has Rooney written all over it. Without the Rooney family, the league would be run far differently. Can't make money? Hey, have the Redskins, Cowboys, Patriots, Eagles, Broncos, Dolphins, and Seahawks give what they earn to the Rooneys (Steelers), Wilsons (Bills), Bensons (Saints), and Browns (Bengals). Heck, let's place a team where there are almost no fans (Jacksonville) and give them some of the money too.

And if one of the moneymakers sneezes the wrong way, hey, just take countless millions from them and give to the others.

I've never seen anything like this at all. Never. Haven't had this much anger in years. Just ripped off a small tree branch outside and then some. This is just unreal.

I like the perspective in 2010 at the time the deals were restructured ...

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Friday-new-and-note-4038.html

"Kudos to two teams protecting their Cap future that have not previously operated with such forethought. The uncapped year, of all things, has spurred the Cowboys and Redskins to operate more prudently in their Cap management. Who knew?"

This just keeps getting better and better. BB, have you heard anything from Ashburn? Is Dan about to pull a Linda Blair?

Haven't heard anything. I was outside and destroyed a tree branch. Took an "exercise tire" that a neighbor has and pushed it end over end through half of the complex. Not sure what I'll do next. Probably do a bunch of laps in the pool tomorrow.

Ok, this was said privately about fifteen minutes ago - but it will probably be out there soon. So I will post it here...

GM Allen said that we are solidly fine with the cap for each year.

It sounds like they knew there would be a penalty, but it was better to take that hit when compared to the ton of releases and restructures that would've occurred.

Interesting.

And if one of the moneymakers sneezes the wrong way, hey, just take countless millions from them and give to the others.

I've never seen anything like this at all. Never. Haven't had this much anger in years. Just ripped off a small tree branch outside and then some. This is just unreal.

This was funny to me considering its an election year and all. :)

Sucks, but I bet this doesn't surprise. Stillprobably works out better than if they hadn't loaded the contracts.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

One other thing - and this didn't come from anyone in the Redskins organization.

The new head of the NFL Management Council is John Mara. Two NFC-East teams tagged for violations and no one else. Several teams did the same thing - and with similar amounts of money.

I'm not going to get angry till all the shoes drop and the Skins respond to this. Let's see how it all plays out first, huh?

I have not been this mad ever IRT football. How the **** do you punish a team years later for playing within the rules at the time??????

**** YOU Goodell and the POS short sighted players union that signed off on this!!!!!!!!!! Let's see how that works out for and the stupid ass player's union to see how Buffalo and Cincy and JAX spend the extra CAP space they now get. ****ing dumb***es!!!!

Last edited:
One other thing - and this didn't come from anyone in the Redskins organization.

The new head of the NFL Management Council is John Mara. Two NFC-East teams tagged for violations and no one else. Several teams did the same thing - and with similar amounts of money.

What is collusion on top of collusion? A Conundrum?

This smells like low tide. I feel sorry for the rest of the league, I cannot imagine that someone who sues their own season ticket holders and local newspapers doesn't go on the (wait for it...........)

Warpath. :)

I can't believe that there wasn't at least a little consistency in penalizing the other teams that did the same thing (if true [bears] )

Again as someone else said, how in the hell do you not justify us dumping Hanyesworth's salary? How?

I can't even imagine a world where Dan Snyder doesn't stand up on his little tippie toes and scream at the world on this one. Its gonna get ugly and I surely cannot blame him for what he is about to do.

The team won't do anything. This can't be news to them. I'd guess they've already done what they can
Hope I'm wrong.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.