• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Blognostications: Week 2 - Houston Texans

Blognostications

Blognosticator - Henry

Hello BGO and welcome to Wild and Wooly Week Two in Washington! First of all,...

More...

Last edited by a moderator:
The staff would like to thank Henry for going first and on short notice! Wonderful job sir.

And now, a quick note on the order members will appear, names were drawn randomly by a beautiful, scantily clad woman who is not a member at BGO and as no ties to any of the members participating in our Blognostications feature this season. :)

I think that woman was looking at our packages.

Just a series of short glances.

The huzzy.

20-17 would be great. Nice analysis, Henry. I actually watched most of their game against the Colts last week for fantasy purposes (that, and it has been like 9 years since the last pro football game - slight exaggeration), and the Texans O-line crushed the Colts in the second half. I don't see them doing that us for a prolonged amount of time.

Schaub is an interesting QB. Bearing in mind that I hate him b/c of where he went to school, I see him as a very good QB, but not necessarily a winner (yet, anyways). He put up ungodly stats last year, but they have never won anything, I wonder about his ability to win when the chips are down. My feeling, not based on repeated observations, is that we can rattle him if we can get to him early.

Good stuff, Henry. That was a tough draw, I agree. But you handled it very well. You didn't even flirt with crapulence. :)

I think the Skins are going to key on Foster, and leave CBs one-on-one with the Texans WRs. After last week, the focus has to be on stopping the run. Andre Johnson will prove to be too much, and will have a big week. 180 yards and 2TDs is my prediction for the best WR in the league.

As to who wins or loses...my gut tells me the Texans are going to win, but my heart and last week tell me the Skins win a tough one. I sure hope so...I'll be watching the game surrounded by Texans fans!

I think the only way to keep Johnson from taking over the game is to get to Schaub. And to do that we can't key on Foster. Like I said a nightmare for a defense.

Admittedly my prediction was rather optimistic, but 1) I don't want to be the first blognosticator to go against the Skins and 2) if I win the big prize I don't want to do it because I was right about the Skins losing.

A silly bunch of reasons for picking a game, but there have been sillier. :)

Raise your hand if you had this game penciled in as a win a month ago. I know I did. I'm much less certain now. I only saw highlights (lowlights for the Colts) of the game but that Houston O-Line pretty much dominated the Colts from what I could see. While the Indy O-Line isn't much to write home about, they've always done a decent job of protecting Manning. Not last week. It was Finesse vs. Smash-mouth last week and Smash-mouth won big time. We are more of a smash-mouth team than the Colts so the other team from Texas won't have as easy a time with us.

Henry brought up a good point about Kyle Shanahan. While the Texans may have a better idea of what Kyle might do, Kyle knows a LOT more about them. I think that's to our advantage. I'm reminded of Ray Liotta's Shoeless Joe Jackson exchange with Archie Graham from Field of Dreams.

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away, or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna wanna load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.

After last week, the Texans figure we're going to keep people in the box to stop Foster (high and tight) so they likely could come out throwing (low and away) just like Dallas did mixing bubbles, slants, middle screens and pretty much anything that requires a three-step drop. However, Dallas was still pretty effective running the ball so, on the road, the Texans just might stay with what won them the first game (but watch out for in your ear).

As for Brother Henry's first foray into blognosticating, I was blown away. Under pressure, he shoots......he scores!!! I even loved the final score. Well done. :claps:

Last edited:
I think the only way to keep Johnson from taking over the game is to get to Schaub. And to do that we can't key on Foster. Like I said a nightmare for a defense.

Admittedly my prediction was rather optimistic, but 1) I don't want to be the first blognosticator to go against the Skins and 2) if I win the big prize I don't want to do it because I was right about the Skins losing.

A silly bunch of reasons for picking a game, but there have been sillier. :)

I like it. I think we CAN win, but it is a tougher test than Dallas, though similar. Houston has a better rushing attack, and better WR, QBs about the same, but a worse defense.

This week we can't count on the defense pitching a one hitter, we need the O to step up and score at least three TDs, imo.

Excellent job, Henry. I'll have to keep your entry on hand in case I get one of those "Holy Crap how are we supposed to win this one?" games.

Additionally, you gave me something I've been trying to come up with that I saw in the Dallas game, something about our defense that was digging at the back of my mind, that was saying "we're doing something that's going to make us one of those teams that nobody likes to play because the score isn't going to match the stat numbers". You did it with one sentence.

"They looked like last year’s Jets, harassing and frustrating a more talented opponent into making crucial mistakes. "

Unless things start to unravel quickly, I'm sensing that we'll be similar in how we effect teams to the Jets last year. Not neat, not pretty, but like that fly buzzing around your head while you're trying to drive that's annoying the crap out of you and every time you try to swat it you wind up driving off the road.

We're going to be a miserable opponent to play.

I kinda like that.

Nice job, Henry.....sets the bar pretty high. Short notice, early out of the gate....well done. Only one typo that I saw, too. Very impressive.

20-17 would work for me. Hell, 3-0 or even 42-41 would be fine, too.

Once again, not sure what we'll get this weekend......nervous, nervous.....

I'd be a LOT more nervous if we were going to Houston. I don't think Schaub moves around in the pocket as well as Romo so that may be to our advantage. If we can throw him off his game a bit, we'll have a decent chance. If we protect our own QB, we'll have an even better chance.

Looks like the bar has been set high after two weeks of great blogs. :) Kudos to Henry!

I will go with a lower projection - Schaub has 164 yds. passing and Foster runs for 89 yds. Schaub will continue to struggle without Kyle Shanahan and Foster will not be able to put up big numbers this week. The Redskins defense will take a lot of pride in limiting what Foster can do in week two.

This will be another defensive battle imho.

Thanks everyone. If you couldn't tell I was a bit intimidated by having to cover the Texans. :)

LoyalSkinsFan, I've actually caught two typos. 50 Master Class points to anyone that catches them both.

Thanks everyone. If you couldn't tell I was a bit intimidated by having to cover the Texans. :)

LoyalSkinsFan, I've actually caught two typos. 50 Master Class points to anyone that catches them both.

Well done Henry.

Hmmm...two, eh?

Here's one:

That our offensive line, with it’s rookie left tackle, will only get better as it gels throughout the year.

It should be "its" not "it's".

Let's see, how about this one:

We saw how the Dallas defense started to soften up in the fourth quarter. We need to build on that. I don’t know if Shanahan finally saw something or Dallas just wore down. Given how little time the Dallas D was on the field I’m hoping it’s the latter.

Did you mean the former, or you were hoping Dallas wore down quickly after being on the field a short time, rather than our coaching staff making adjustments?

Ok. The 'its' I didn't catch and probably never will :) so you get a bonus for that.

And yes, I meant the former. Thank you for figuring that out.

So we're up to three, and there is still one out there.

Ok. The 'its' I didn't catch and probably never will :) so you get a bonus for that.

And yes, I meant the former. Thank you for figuring that out.

So we're up to three, and there is still one out there.

Well, technically, their TE's name is Owen Daniels, not Owens.

Points?

:)

There was one place where you meant 'off' but typed 'of.'

And dang. If the crowd is THIS tough, maybe I don't wanna play. :laugh:

Well, technically, their TE's name is Owen Daniels, not Owens.

Points?

:)

Sure, technically that's his name, but no one really calls him that. You get nothing. :D

honorary_hog said:
There was one place where you meant 'off' but typed 'of.'

That's the other one. It's been sticking in my brain like a thorn since I submitted the thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.