• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Big Al Suspended

Yep, kinda feels like the Exlax finally took effect after 11 months of impaction.

anyone who thinks this is a good thing is not very bright.

1- does anyone think benching AH is good for this team? he still gets paid.

2- all shannahan just did was prove he was wrong the entire time with Albert, and now Albert is getting paid days off for the rest of a season that he didnt want to play in anyway.

3- the funny thing is, he wasnt getting on the field much anyway and nobody is looking at this saying " geez Albert did so much bad with that team, we sure wont give up a late round pick for an elite DT who will now have less wear and tear" lmao

Shannahan screwed this from the get go, frankly he is a moron when it comes to defence and to picking scapegoats but hes sure got a lot of our fans dialed in to his BS.

Im not sure.

but ask yourself how us losing a top 5 dt who we paid a pile of money for is in any way a good thing?

say what you want, bottom line is this was mishandled from the get go and now we have nothing to show for it.

but carry on.

Ryman, for someone who has supposedly played for a lot of them, you sure don't understand the "team" concept very well.

I understand perfect well, and probably better than most, I have several national championship rings to prove it. what most you guys dont get is this is not like high school football, its rather annoying to me sometimes. in high school you do what coach says even when its dumb, heck even in college you do it. after that, you know what works and you do it.

You dont have to be bestest good buddies with every teammate, and for the most part I dont give a **** what my teammates do or the coaches say as long as they do what i want and thats whatever is gonna win me games and championships. am I selfish and egotistical sometimes? hell yes but that pride is what makes me go to the gym and what makes me play hurt when im not getting paid huge amounts. truth is , ask any elite athlete (and im no longer one lol) what their primary motivation is and most will tell you its pride.

all the rest? is just details.

2- all shannahan just did was prove he was wrong the entire time with Albert, and now Albert is getting paid days off for the rest of a season that he didnt want to play in anyway.

As C.S. Lewis wrote, "We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive."

So, if Shanahan was wrong all along, would it be better that he just continue in his behavior, or should he do something about it sooner rather than later? When he realized that all his attempts to bring Haynesworth around just weren't working, what would have been a better course of action than suspending him?

Shannahan screwed this from the get go, frankly he is a moron when it comes to defence and to picking scapegoats but hes sure got a lot of our fans dialed in to his BS.

I don't think Shanahan is making a scapegoat of Haynesworth. He's not blaming the team's troubles on Big Al, he just seems to understand that Haynesworth's presence is causing more trouble than it's worth. I really don't see how it's moronic to suspend a guy who's not only not making much of a contribution on the field, but is actually detrimental in the locker room.

Last edited:
From Chris Russell on twitter:

"Albert Haynesworth's final meaningful play with the #Redskins. The 3rd-and-8 bootleg run for 1st/Win by Favre. Very symbolic of last two yrs"

"Even more symbolic - #Redskins ran a 4-man down front, Haynesworth at the LDT spot, he blew up pocket but was totally out of play!"

beauty, suspending him is the worst possible outcome.

Shannahan understands the media and the fans, he knows that now people will take another week to rant and rave about AH, heck even here some people are now using the excuse " well albert never played nosetackle and the team was depending on him to do that so we shouldnt balme them because ALBERT didnt wnat to play nose"

all Shannahan has done is give AH some time off and ruin any trade vlaue he had built by still playing well in short bursts on the field when he actually played.

beauty, suspending him is the worst possible outcome.

Shannahan understands the media and the fans, he knows that now people will take another week to rant and rave about AH, heck even here some people are now using the excuse " well albert never played nosetackle and the team was depending on him to do that so we shouldnt balme them because ALBERT didnt wnat to play nose"

all Shannahan has done is give AH some time off and ruin any trade vlaue he had built by still playing well in short bursts on the field when he actually played.

I think the rest of the league already knows how well Haynesworth CAN play, but the question is WILL he? His problems are well-documented. Can his trade value really fall any further than it already has? He was given ample opportunity to "play well in short bursts." He didn't make much of the chances he was given, on OR off the field.

I agree with the first part of your post as much as I disagree with the second, the league knows he can play and if used properly play very well, but I would argue that despite being limited in his snaps this year he has played very well, he has 2.5 sacks and some tackles as well, he had several plays that showed that he is still a dominant force at DT., its on shannhan that we didnt take advantage of that.

basically we trashcanned 4 of our best players in this switch, AC, AH, Fletch and Rocky all look extremely out of place in the 3-4 and all of them would be at the least solid in a 4-3. That is completely on shannahan.

Didn't they say he was suspended without pay?

This hasn't been a good thing for the Redskins all season long. Now at least it's over.

Speaking of salary, here's a breakdown from WTOP:

If Haynesworth were to fulfill his deal, he would make $14.29 million per year, which is $893,125 per game in a regular 16-game season.

On average, Haynesworth played 25.5 snaps in each of the eight games he played this year, according to Ryan O'Halloran of CSNwashington.com. Skins' defensive end Andre Carter told WTOP's Jonathan Warner that each play during a game is roughly "5 to 6 seconds." So that's an average of 5.5 seconds, meaning Haynesworth played for 140.25 seconds each game.

Using those numbers, the disgruntled D-lineman's 2010 stats break down like this:

* For each snap he was on the field, Big Al earned $35,024.51.

* Haynesworth made $6,368.09 per second he played in each game.

* During the infamous six seconds in which Haynesworth took a nap while Michael Vick found a receiver in the end zone against the Eagles, the Redskins paid him $38,208.54.

Link: http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=293&sid=2191719

Didn't they say he was suspended without pay?

This hasn't been a good thing for the Redskins all season long. Now at least it's over.

Henry I read he will definately lose about 865,000 dollars, the skins may try to recoup some of the 21 million but apparently the bonus language will make that impossible.

I can see being relieved that its over but it would have been over if they had met him half way ffs.

Lanky, haynesworth has spent his career playing lots of snaps, he was getting angry at not being played enough, so its funny he is being criticised for how much he made per second lol, thats on the coaches, they could have easily maximised our investment, instaed they squandered it.

...I would argue that despite being limited in his snaps this year he has played very well, he has 2.5 sacks and some tackles as well, he had several plays that showed that he is still a dominant force at DT., its on shannhan that we didnt take advantage of that..
I do remember some of the good (like the Bears game where he stopped Cutler cold at the goal line and the play where he sacked Cutler using a Bear lineman). I also remember him lying on his stomach while Michael Vick took off upfield. And the year prior where he was frequently having to leave the game due to being winded or hurt.

It seems to me the greater issue here is the contest of wills that continues between Haynesworth and his head coach. How does this affect team morale? Apparently, according to Philip Daniels, it is not motivating other players to play well. One dominant DT does not a team make. And it takes a team to win football games. It seems to me that in Shanahan's mind, it's either Albert or the team. Not being on the team, I have to defer to Shanahan's wisdom on this decision.

...basically we trashcanned 4 of our best players in this switch, AC, AH, Fletch and Rocky all look extremely out of place in the 3-4 and all of them would be at the least solid in a 4-3. That is completely on shannahan.

I can't argue against this logic. I haven't coached football and I don't study it enough to make points for or against the switch to a 3-4. I can't say I've been impressed with this year's defense. But, if you're committed to making the switch to a 3-4, and it's going to take a few years of adjustment, wouldn't it be better to get the 'growing pains' out of the way earlier rather than later?

I can't argue against this logic. I haven't coached football and I don't study it enough to make points for or against the switch to a 3-4. I can't say I've been impressed with this year's defense. But, if you're committed to making the switch to a 3-4, and it's going to take a few years of adjustment, wouldn't it be better to get the 'growing pains' out of the way earlier rather than later?

not if your offense stinks, you have no long term solution at QB and you give away yet more draft picks.

Im not sure.

but ask yourself how us losing a top 5 dt who we paid a pile of money for is in any way a good thing?

say what you want, bottom line is this was mishandled from the get go and now we have nothing to show for it.

but carry on.

exactly...this is a failure on both sides. the key point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.