• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BGO.C.D.: Rex Grossman, Franchise Quarterback?

El...can't remember where I heard it. have heard it stated on many NFL radio talk shows. by all accounts NONE of this years QB draftees were considered upper tier prospects...they all have development asterisks after their names.

Oh, I think all the teams that drafted a QB in the 1st round reached on their QB except Jax, but they spent more than just the #10 pick there.

If they're going by the number of QB's available, there are only 2 potential 1st rounders for next year. That doesn't mean there won't be one or 2 more emerging.

If they mean that one QB who is hands down, far and away, the best QB available in a while, then yes, Andrew Luck is supposed to be that guy. I would agree with that statement.

Quantity? No. Quality? more than likely.

Here's the interesting fact. With so many of the young QB's going in the draft this year, that means next year there will be less teams seeking a player like Luck or the kid from USC.

As for Grossman v. Beck, I think Rex Grossman runs this offense next year on opening day. I would not be a bit surprised if McNabb is in the mix. Beck? Well, who knows? Shanahan is not tipping his hand.

Last edited:
Oh, I think all the teams that drafted a QB in the 1st round reached on their QB except Jax, but they spent more than just the #10 pick there.

If they're going by the number of QB's available, there are only 2 potential 1st rounders for next year. That doesn't mean there won't be one or 2 more emerging.

If they mean that one QB who is hands down, far and away, the best QB available in a while, then yes, Andrew Luck is supposed to be that guy. I would agree with that statement.

Quantity? No. Quality? more than likely.

Here's the interesting fact. With so many of the young QB's going in the draft this year, that means next year there will be less teams seeking a player like Luck or the kid from USC.

As for Grossman v. Beck, I think Rex Grossman runs this offense next year on opening day. I would not be a bit surprised if McNabb is in the mix. Beck? Well, who knows? Shanahan is not tipping his hand.

El.....I'll have a more developed post on this down the road...I plan on an immediate forecast on next season...one after preseason...and one 4 games into the season.

sooooo....immediately...I see us winning between 2 and 4 games next season. I believe we will lose every NFE game - the other teams simply have better talent and better QBs. I don't see us gaining on any of them. I think betting on FA for quality o-linemen when everyone is looking for the same thing and there is huge CBA uncertainty is a low probability of success way to go. I'm not sure Jenkins fits as a NT but we'll see. overall.....I'm not sure on how much the d-line has really improved. better than it was...but enough?

we're going to be in the hunt for the top two QBs next year. now.....sure.....I hope there's an ace up the sleeve and Beck is the answer for the next 4-6 years. Until that is established I believe...vis other teams in the league...we have glaring holes at QB and the O-line. I like the RB drafts a lot....but you can't run if your o-line can't execute.

above all else...here's what concerns me: the NFL these days operates on 4 year cycles due to how the contract process works. while I can quibble with the Skins' draft...like everyone else I'm thrilled that the Skins approach signals several moves:

- restock with youth
- elevate the talent level
- improve the depth
- a commitment to rebuilding a team that..frankly...sucks

will they stay the course and execute a disciplined 2-3 year rebuild? will Snyder demonstrate enough patience to wait the 2-3 more years it's gonna take to move this team to a top tier position talent-wise? will Shanahan/Allen misjudge again somewhere in the next 2-3 years and think they are more ready than they truly are...and end up destablizing the team again?

we don't have a QB of the future as things stand now. this abrupt shift/rumor mill in the media about Beck is just arse covering IMO. I really, really, really hope I'm wrong on that and that you guys are tossing rolls at me a year from now. Right now..based on how this guy has been handled here and throughout his career...I don't see it. We have a huge hole at QB and we have large uncertainties on the o-line. the defense has improved but I don't think the line is all that much better and the secondary is so so.

lot of work remains to be done. next season..IMO...will see close games (hopefully no embarrassing blowouts like the Philly game on National TV)....but I don't see us as having closed the talent gap enough to warrant expectations of even breaking 500.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I see us winning between 2 and 4 games next season."

This is just crazy pessimism. We'd have one 2-4 MORE games last season with Rex. Not because he's a world beater. McNabb was just that bad IMO. I don't see us taking a huge step backwards. I expect to win a few more games this year. If a reasonable number of draftees appear to be sticking, and we finish 8-8, I'd be pleased with the change in direction.

sooooo....immediately...I see us winning between 2 and 4 games next season. I believe we will lose every NFE game - the other teams simply have better talent and better QBs. I don't see us gaining on any of them.

Seriously Al? Seriously? Come on, man.

Early in the year and healthy we beat a tough Philly team and opened by beating Dallas. We nearly took the second Dallas game after a rough start from Rex in his first real action of the season. I can see the issues with NY, we just have issues with Giants football but I see the 4 games against Philly and Dallas as up in the air. Neither team really did anything this last weekend to help out their biggest areas of weakness (defense for both) and I don't see FA being a huge boon to any team this year.

And 2-4 games? Really? Zorn did that well in his second year which was a real mess. I just don't see Shanahan allowing that to happen. His will to win is greater than that all by itself. I will grant you that it isn't the easiest schedule in the world but it isn't a 2-4 win schedule with good coaching either.

How quickly people forget, this year's QB class was filled with second-rounders and projects. Ponder at 12? HUUUUGE reach, by a team desperate for a QB. Shanahan and co. should be praised for not over-reaching on a guy who may or may not be anything in the league. If we'd had more picks earlier in the draft, I bet they'd have taken a flier on Mallet, but as it stands, they had more pressing needs. They've got a project on the roster already.

Seriously Al? Seriously? Come on, man.

Early in the year and healthy we beat a tough Philly team and opened by beating Dallas. We nearly took the second Dallas game after a rough start from Rex in his first real action of the season. I can see the issues with NY, we just have issues with Giants football but I see the 4 games against Philly and Dallas as up in the air. Neither team really did anything this last weekend to help out their biggest areas of weakness (defense for both) and I don't see FA being a huge boon to any team this year.

And 2-4 games? Really? Zorn did that well in his second year which was a real mess. I just don't see Shanahan allowing that to happen. His will to win is greater than that all by itself. I will grant you that it isn't the easiest schedule in the world but it isn't a 2-4 win schedule with good coaching either.

that's how I see it right now. we will improve...problem is...so are the other teams. I think we'll play closer but...yea...we beat Dallas...and they fixed the major weakness that led to that victory. and Philly destroyed us. when was the last time we beat the Gints? I just don't see it right now...our lines haven't improved all that much and we don't have a QB. I think games will be closer cuz the defense has improved...but no way we break 500.

How quickly people forget, this year's QB class was filled with second-rounders and projects. Ponder at 12? HUUUUGE reach, by a team desperate for a QB. Shanahan and co. should be praised for not over-reaching on a guy who may or may not be anything in the league. If we'd had more picks earlier in the draft, I bet they'd have taken a flier on Mallet, but as it stands, they had more pressing needs. They've got a project on the roster already.

a 30 year old project they did nothing to develop last season.

"I see us winning between 2 and 4 games next season."

This is just crazy pessimism. We'd have one 2-4 MORE games last season with Rex. Not because he's a world beater. McNabb was just that bad IMO. I don't see us taking a huge step backwards. I expect to win a few more games this year. If a reasonable number of draftees appear to be sticking, and we finish 8-8, I'd be pleased with the change in direction.

hey stevenaa

- I said it was an immediate reaction....none of us know how it will turn out

- none of the posts I have read on this site take what other teams have done into account...so I discount all of them

- I said I thought we would improve

- as things stand now...we have no QB and the o-line has not gotten better

I'm just passing you my quick observations. Being pleased and what I expect are two different things. what I hope for and what I expect are two different things. I'll reevaluate after pre-season and then again four games into the season.

that's how I see it right now. we will improve...problem is...so are the other teams. I think we'll play closer but...yea...we beat Dallas...and they fixed the major weakness that led to that victory. and Philly destroyed us. when was the last time we beat the Gints? I just don't see it right now...our lines haven't improved all that much and we don't have a QB. I think games will be closer cuz the defense has improved...but no way we break 500.

Breaking .500 might be tough. That I will grant you but I have tough time seeing 4 or fewer wins by this team. I'm not so sure Dallas has fixed much and while Philly destroyed us the second time, I would like to think we learned something about playing them and it won't happen again. "Like to" I said.

hey stevenaa

- I said it was an immediate reaction....none of us know how it will turn out

- none of the posts I have read on this site take what other teams have done into account...so I discount all of them

- I said I thought we would improve

- as things stand now...we have no QB and the o-line has not gotten better

I talked about the lack of both Dallas and Philly to address what everyone thought were their issues. In fact, both teams when offense for much or all of their early draft when their biggest issues last season were obviously on defense. That doesn't sound like improving to me but rather ignoring what needs improving.

I would also argue that the O-Line was playing better at the end of last season than the beginning. Perhaps much better. Granted, they will all be a year older this season and no matter what you think of the rest, everyone can agree that we are still looking for someone to handle the RT position. That was true even at the end of last year when we were platooning Heyer and Brown there. But the rest of it firmed up pretty good and was opening running lanes for Torain while giving Rex some time to throw.

And maybe I am just an eternal optimist too... :)

Breaking .500 might be tough. That I will grant you but I have tough time seeing 4 or fewer wins by this team. I'm not so sure Dallas has fixed much and while Philly destroyed us the second time, I would like to think we learned something about playing them and it won't happen again. "Like to" I said.

I talked about the lack of both Dallas and Philly to address what everyone thought were their issues. In fact, both teams when offense for much or all of their early draft when their biggest issues last season were obviously on defense. That doesn't sound like improving to me but rather ignoring what needs improving.

I would also argue that the O-Line was playing better at the end of last season than the beginning. Perhaps much better. Granted, they will all be a year older this season and no matter what you think of the rest, everyone can agree that we are still looking for someone to handle the RT position. That was true even at the end of last year when we were platooning Heyer and Brown there. But the rest of it firmed up pretty good and was opening running lanes for Torain while giving Rex some time to throw.

And maybe I am just an eternal optimist too... :)

maybe. but when we beat the boys....it was their offense that lost the game...and they just fixed their biggest problem with tyron smith. agree that their secondary has had issues for years and still odes. overall, however, they still have infinitely more talent on the roster than we do and they finally have a good coach. btw..why is it that dallas and philly not addressing their issues is a major thing...but the Skins, who did not address theirs either...isn't?

we'll have to differ on the o-line.....the interior is average on its best days, the center is horrible (smart guy but physically mismatched a whole lotta the time), we don't have a RT. the only playoff quality linemen is Williams.

it's May so who knows...but when I look at the sked I see 3 games we have an even chance of winning...2 more we might win.....and everything else a loss. I think the other teams were ahead of the Skins to start with and got better. all speculation at this point. I have learned to underestimate this team after 18 years.

btw...I applaud your optimism. for the moment...I will watch each game hoping for a win as well. makes for a better day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a list of QBs that will be drafted in the first 3 rounds next season:
Andrew Luck
Matt Barkley
John Brantley
Lance Jones
Terrelle Pryor
Kirk Cousins
Nick Foles

That's a nice list...definitely better than this year's crop. I predict by the end of this season, Brantley will surpass Luck as the first QB taken. The kid is for real...although he may not come out until 2013.

Here is a list of QBs that will be drafted in the first 3 rounds next season:
Andrew Luck
Matt Barkley
John Brantley
Lance Jones
Terrelle Pryor
Kirk Cousins
Nick Foles

That's a nice list...definitely better than this year's crop. I predict by the end of this season, Brantley will surpass Luck as the first QB taken. The kid is for real...although he may not come out until 2013.

thanks for the leg work Lanky! too lazy to do it myself.

Interesting story here on McNabb and Shanahan:

The story stems from a dinner during Super Bowl week in Dallas between Dan Snyder, Mike Shanahan, Bruce Allen and Fletcher Smith (McNabb’s agent). Apparently while discussing future plans moving forward for McNabb with the team it was uncovered that Donovan McNabb refused to wear a play sheet wrist band when asked by the coaches. The reluctance stemmed from McNabb “refusing” to tarnish his image by wearing a “cheat sheet”. When learning of this, owner Dan Snyder lashed out against his head coach and berated him for not succeeding in enforcing the issue on McNabb. All this goes on while Allen and Smith awkwardly sit in silence.

http://riggosrag.com/2011/05/12/mcnabb-noncompliant-with-redskins-top-brass/

Interesting story here on McNabb and Shanahan:

The story stems from a dinner during Super Bowl week in Dallas between Dan Snyder, Mike Shanahan, Bruce Allen and Fletcher Smith (McNabb’s agent). Apparently while discussing future plans moving forward for McNabb with the team it was uncovered that Donovan McNabb refused to wear a play sheet wrist band when asked by the coaches. The reluctance stemmed from McNabb “refusing” to tarnish his image by wearing a “cheat sheet”. When learning of this, owner Dan Snyder lashed out against his head coach and berated him for not succeeding in enforcing the issue on McNabb. All this goes on while Allen and Smith awkwardly sit in silence.

http://riggosrag.com/2011/05/12/mcnabb-noncompliant-with-redskins-top-brass/

wow. Snyder lashed out or passed his advice?

If true, my goodness. Snyder is such a petty little man, its ridiculous. I really hate him, and wish the NFL could do what MLB did to Frank McCourt!

Also, McNabb not wearing a wristband b/c he didn't want to tarnish his image is laughable. What a moron, I hope the door hits the crap out of him on his way out.

Snyder story - not true.

McNabb story - true.

And before anyone else chimes in and says whatever about "insider" bunk, this comes from an accurate source. 99% of you know where to find it.

Snyder story - not true.

McNabb story - true.

And before anyone else chimes in and says whatever about "insider" bunk, this comes from an accurate source. 99% of you know where to find it.

The same accurate source that said we were trading up for Gabbert?

Jason LaConfora reporting again? BB, I have no idea who the source is so by saying "99% of you know who it is" you are being cryptic. I want to know this source.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.