• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BGO Blind Pig - MOCK DRAFT EDITION!!

I’m not going to hate on Dotson. I don’t know him. Hell, the team didn’t even spend more than an ounce of time with him.

I am going to hate on the trade back. Could have had a difference maker, not a guy that I saw described as a better replacement for Deandre Carter.

Could have had Kyle Hamilton. Baltimore has him now but what do they know about defense?

Could have had a big, tough receiver in Burks.

Hopefully those extra two picks can add some depth and improve the special teams.

Did we just spend a 1st Round Pick on Ryan Grant ?

No doubt, it feels like he was picked far too early. I am not trying to justify the pick because I am a bit numb and deflated myself still.

At this point, Dotson is obviously going to have to show us that the team was justified in taking him at 16. Again though, in a draft applauded for its depth, we cannot understate how big it is to get back into the 3rd round and add a 4th too. For a team with big needs, they will come in handy.

We did well to acquire another Day 2 pick, as well as a 4th rounder.

Dotson was a bit of a surprise and not someone anybody really talked about - that might be part of the reason why it feels a bit disappointing.

That said, he does possess traits that successful pro receivers are usually applauded for - hands and route running ability.

Let's see where it goes and appreciate that we get to participate in round three tomorrow.

I think that you make the best point. No one really talked about him leading up to the draft. We get attached to certain guys. Sometimes that's for a good reason as their measurables and highlights are exciting. But if it's a guy no one has talked about, we are inclined to think it's a bad pick. Time will tell if this was a good pick or not. I do know that they could have taken Hamilton, but did not. They could have taken Olave or Williams, but did not. So you have to believe they didn't have those guys as high as some may have thought.

Last edited:
Looking up Dotson a bit, he seems like a really polished and productive receiver. I think the desire for the big receiver is an artifact of the old NFL. The rules today favor speed and quickness since the DBs aren't really supposed to touch WRs anymore. Besides, Washington does great with little guys and terrible with big guys. Think of it this way...

Would you rather have Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders, Santana Moss, and Terry McClaurin or would you want Gardner, Westbrook, Comb, and Harmon?

I would rather have Jameson Williams or Kyle Hamilton.

If they add bona fide talent with the added 3rd and 4th I will calm down.

If not, I will feel like Johnny Depp when Amber Heard took a dump in his bed.

I think that trade back was smart if the player they wanted was still on the board . I think they wanted Hamilton at 16. The Ravens traded up and basically stole him from us and put our front office in a weak position to take a wide out (who reminds me of Steven Sims) at 16 . It appears to me we took a gamble and it blew up in our face. I'm with Chris I'm not going to hate on the young man but I can't help but to wonder if we could have gotten a more impactful player had we stayed at 11

To me this draft will be all about whether or not we willingly passed up on a serious blue-chip talent in exchange for what feels like a reach WR at #16 and late-3rd and 4th-round picks.

I've been pretty vocal about Kenny Pickett--if he ends up being a franchise QB for a Steelers team that just sat there and waited, I'll never forgive them. If J. Williams or Hamilton end up being Hall of Famers, and we kinda shrugged and let them slide by, it's going to be hard to take unless Dotson and Players X and Y blow up.

So this morning I'm in this weird head space of hoping none of the guys that we spent three months building up turn out to be anything special, and that a WR NOBODY had in the top 20 becomes a Pro Bowl candidate, and that whoever the 3rd and 4ths we picked up turn into legit starters, and ...

Last edited:
I feel better about it this morning. I don’t think they ever intended to take Hamilton. They clearly were determined to add a WR with that first pick and I am hearing this morning they had this guy rated among the top WRs. They planned on taking London and when he got taken at 8 that pretty much put the trade down on the table.

We added a major weapon who is also a punt returner AND we added picks. As for Dotson, he is reported to have the best hands in this class, is super shifty, very good in traffic, super competitive, and has the speed to break one. There’s very little not to like.

I think most of us reacted poorly to it because we didn’t see it coming. We can characterize it as a reach but no one knows which WRs will be difference makers at this next level.

My only possible criticism is, if we passed on both Pickett and Willis and Wentz proves to be incapable of playing at a high level, it could end up being a monumental miss.

Last edited:
I will let you in on a little secret…I was looking forward to adding either Jameson Williams or Kyle Hamilton. Both were there at 11 so I was immediately disappointed.

Del Rio would have misused Hamilton anyway so…

I think Dotson will be as good or better than Olave but I was never sold on Olave so…

Dotson certainly comes across as an intelligent, driven, solid citizen and that is a big plus in my eyes. I look forward to him proving me dead wrong about my apprehensions.

We are human and it’s almost impossible to separate player hype from actual talent. More than a few of the guys we have all been hot and heavy on will prove to be underwhelming. We think we know who those guys are but no one really does. Only time will tell.

At least the cost of acquisition (pre-draft) was basically zero. 😉

I do think that when New Orleans traded up and immediately took Olave, it probably blindsided our front office a bit. They likely envisioned him possibly being there at 16. That all said, in going down five spots, they had to have known that with the likes of the Texans and Eagles ahead of them, and other WR needy teams like the Packers and Chiefs lurking with the threat of a trade up, there was always a chance that Williams and Olave both would be gone by the time we arrived at pick 16. To me, that's an indication that they likely had Olave, Williams, and Dotson all ranked/graded really close to one another. The difference is we as casual draft "experts" have so much information accessible now, and we are conditioned to believe with piles and piles of mock drafts that if a guy goes 10 spots or so higher than he "should" have, it is a reach. At the end of the day, we added a guy that has the potential to be an electric playmaker with important attributes that the most successful pro WRs have (hands and route running). For an offense that has been pretty stale, that's not necessarily a bad thing - I will give it a chance, especially since we recouped great value for merely moving down 5 spots. We get to add another guy in the top 100, recoup a pick from the Wentz deal, and have another pick early on day 3 for depth. It's a decent tradeoff if Dotson becomes a productive and key threat in our offense, even if he doesn't necessarily turn into a star.

I will quibble with our being willing to accept less than the trade value chart for our pick. I just have a problem philosophically with ever accepting LESS from a team wanting to move up. I know it happens but it shouldn’t. We should’ve made them give us a 6th or 7th rounder on top of what we got.

I will quibble with our being willing to accept less than the trade value chart for our pick. I just have a problem philosophically with ever accepting LESS from a team wanting to move up. I know it happens but it shouldn’t. We should’ve made them give us a 6th or 7th rounder on top of what we got.

That's interesting. I didn't realize that this was actually the case. I had read a graphic from one source on Twitter that suggested we did quite well, but I very well could have misinterpreted it. Regardless, it makes it all the more important that Dotson hits and that the 3rd and 4th rounders become contributors.

That’s just what was reported on NFL network last night. I’m not arguing the points were far below what the chart said we rated, I just believe it should always be the team moving up that overpays not the team doing them a solid. Plus - if a team wants someone so bad they are willing to trade up, they likely are not going to balk at giving up an extra late pick.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, by the famous Chart, we "lost" 1250 to 1162.

My first reaction last night, even before we saw these numbers, was I thought we undersold. Still kinda feel that way.

1651237315291.png

... that 2nd rounder the Saints have (#49) instead of the 3rd (#98) would have made me feel a whole lot better.

Yeah, a first and a second would have felt great.

On Dotson, one of the things of the things that has me excited about him is who he was being linked to before the draft. I remember hearing a lot of chatter about the Chiefs liking him and maybe needing someone like him to replace Hill. I think I heard buzz about the Steelers wanting Dotson, too. These are two teams that draft really well. So swiping their guys is probably a good thing.

Conversely, this is the second or third time that Baltimore picked the guy I wanted one slot ahead of our pick. No wonder they chose a scavenger as their symbol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.