• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Alex Smith named Comeback Player of the Year

SilentThreat

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Also... official

Not sure if anyone else is watching this but they didn't even put any other player up as an option. Then his wife recited a short tribute to him while they showed some of the film from the Project 11 special.

Last edited:
The presentation in case you didn't see it.... worth a watch

That guy has got sand, no dougt about it. Amazing. Interesting that toward the end he said "know that better days lay ahead." Just before his departure Jim Zorn was asked about his time in DC and said almost exactly the same thing, and I for one have always thought highly of his personal character - as I do with Alex. I have often paid lip service to the maxim that one can do anything he or she wants if the determination and willingness to do whatever it takes is strong enough; seeing that proven beyond a shadow of a doubt by Mr. Smith I realize how empty and fainthearted my words must have been, Thanks for the empirical buddy. I am in awe of your uncommon resilience, and would have no problem seeing you under center for the WFT next season. My hat is off to you.

Congratulations to Alex! An amazing achievement.

I will say this. Based on the type of man Ron Rivera seems to be, if Alex wants to keep playing, I do not at least see a situation where he gives him an opportunity to compete in 2021.

I am not giving an opinion either way, but we might be staring at a situation where Alex, Kyle, Taylor, and a youngster come into camp. This is something that a lot of people are writing off completely as a possibility for the WFT, but I am not so sure we should be as quick to dismiss it.

saw something this morning where his wife was saying he kept asking to pull the game up on her phone so he could see if we won or not.

I hope we talk to him, and if he ultimately keeps playing he comes back on a reduced salary. He's everything you want in a player and leader whos body appears to be letting him down. I don't feel confident we can go into next season with the idea that he's the starter for the entirety.... His limitations could ultimately hurt our ability to win over the course of a season but as a team member, leader, mentor, and backup QB he's about as much as you can ask for.

Exactly. He mentored Kraperneck and he was great before he went off the rails. He mentored Mahomes as well.

He is going to make a great coach. I really hope it is with us.

The other thing that's not being really talked about as much is that Alex came back this past season and was, at least the best we can tell, perfectly content being the 3rd string inactive QB behind Haskins and Allen. He's a pro so I don't think he's the type that would have been a vocal problem demanding that he start, but he also strikes me as the guy who just wants to come in and work. Is it crazy to think he would be willing to take a major reduction in salary and be happy as a backup? I think he would. I think he loves the game and the grind. When he was inactive he was still reportedly the first guy in the building. Given all he's been through, he may just be doing this, as cliché as it sounds, for the simple 'love of the game.'

First of all - he's a class act as you pointed out. Guy got replaced twice in previous destinations by unproven youngsters (the last time right after having a career year) and not one negative peep from him. He actually went out of his way to groom/help the guys who replaced him. That's really something.

I do think that kind of unselfishness is just who he is and reflects what he believes, that the team comes first.

I also think, coming into this season, he had a lot of understandable fear and doubt. Yes, he was determined to come back and we can only try to imagine the courage it took for him over the last 2 years to travel the journey he set out on. But I think he has acknowledged the fear he had to overcome and the doubt that would fill anyone 'can I still do this?'. That may also have played a role in his being okay with sitting back and waiting for his opportunity.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Alex. So much admiration and respect for him. And he's still under contract. I just don't know if I want him out there. I do worry, as i'm sure his loved ones do, if he isn't at risk for major injury. I'm sure that leg is healed, but he doesn't have the mobility he once did. We saw him take some big hits in limited action this past season. And we saw him get hurt, and more or less have his ability to play the position seriously impacted to the point that he couldn't start a playoff game.

I just don't know if he can play the position at the level we need him to and survive a season under center. But the other part of me argues 'look at what this man has overcome - you're going to doubt him now?'.

I'm torn.

You took the words right out of my mouth Boone.

On one hand, I fear that the lack of mobility could lead to another - this time career ending - injury. There's a big part of me that would love him to hang it up now, having proved he could do it and take a coaching job with us!

On the other hand, I would not be surprised at all if he plated next year, with another 12 months of healing on that leg, and put together his best season yet in the B&G. Honestly, I would NOT be shocked.

One thing with Alex we all should know by now - never say never.

The problem is that $24M cap hit for a player that is unlikely to be candidate for 16 games as the starter.

The OC and Quarterbacks Coach are being paid to get Allen, Heinicke and the others ready to play in this offense, if they can't do the job without Smith than we have the wrong people in place.

Troy Aikman came in with Steve Walsh and it was up to Norv Turner to help them adjust to the NFL and learn the system. Johnson didn't carry a 37 year old quarterback simply to act as Troy's big brother.

More recently you can look at quarterbacks like Russell Wilson and Drew Brees as guys that came in without a veteran mentor and advanced quickly.

I would be shocked if Alex is on this roster in 2021 getting paid what he's scheduled to get paid.

Threw this up on Facebook:

I actually zag here and think Alex takes a pay cut. He has not shown publicly any apprehension of continuing to play, and at the conclusion of his tribute video, Liz (his wife) literally came out and said "go kick some ass." At the start of the season he was seemingly perfectly content being the 3rd string inactive QB behind Haskins and Allen. He's now played but I don't think he has some grand idea that he can lead a team for a full regular season, plus a post season. He's also not stupid and understands paying a backup QB $24 mil is not really an option. Cutting him saves $14 mil. Restructuring him down with a base salary of $3.5mil and converting $6mil to a signing bonus spread over 2 years costs the team the same amount of money AND pays Alex Smith almost the same amount of money in 2021 if he were to get released. The only other factor I see is Alex wanting to go try and win a ring as a backup....

Well this is all catching fire and it's being made to look like Alex felt almost spited.

Horse crap take by Alex.

Would any team have given him a chance to start considering his condition? They could've shelved him on PUP for most of the season but they didn't do that and he eventually got his shot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.