• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Alex Smith named Comeback Player of the Year

Probably a good thing this is likely all long resolved by the time Rivera and company are doing a lot of press. I think Bruce Allen/Gruden might have already released some kind of a statement. I think the smart thing is to continue making no comment and as you said, take the high road.

This is one of the rare instances where almost no fans are backing Alex Smith's assertion that he was somehow done wrong. At the most, you've got some fans who are simply supporting Smith's right, having gone through what he did, to express his feelings. And of course, a couple of angry media types like Michael Wilbon, attacking fans who are expressing disappointment in his comments.

I have never had any respect for Michael Wilbon. He has lived in DC for years and is an unabashed Chicago fan for all 4 major sports, so he is never of the opinion ANY of the teams here ever do anything right.

After the Caps and Nationals won championships now Wilbon really can't criticize those organizations so he goes back to the well with the football team.

I am still amused by the time Wilbon represented that while he was attending a Super Bowl as a media representative allegedly two women came up to him and asked him for his autograph thinking he was a football player in the game.

Looking at Wilbon's state of fitness since his late 30's I find that extremely hard to believe.

To me this guy is a bit of a $3 bill. Not quite as bad as Max Kellerman who is strictly a Molotov cocktail thrower when it comes to sports opinions, but close.

I remember when he made the comment about Sean "live by the sword...." and it was right then that my hatred for him was born.

Interesting they didn’t wait until June - I think that may be a class move designed to give him as much opportunity to find another gig as possible. Could’ve held onto him and gotten more cap relief.

Interesting they didn’t wait until June - I think that may be a class move designed to give him as much opportunity to find another gig as possible. Could’ve held onto him and gotten more cap relief.

We can designate him as June 1 which is the most likely, freeing up $19 mil.

We also give him a while weekend to latch on before the rest of the free agents start making calls legally.

after his interview I would hold on to him as long as I could and then let him see what it really means to not be wanted.

The other part of releasing him now is it frees up the money for free agency starting next week

Washington is going to need that money if the team is planning on being as aggressive at QB and other positions as they have promised to be heading into the new league year.

That $15M is enough to get THREE players in free agency at $5M each who will help us or two anchor-type players at $7-8M each.

I would be on the sell side of Landon Collins and Peyton Barber as well.

We would save several millions cumulative from these releases for players that either didn't contribute in 2020 or are/have been replaced by others.

You take those two salaries and save another say $5M against the cap and that's another starter/contributor. And one that is HEALTHY.

Collins had a major injury last year with the achilles tendon and speed was an issue for him in coverage before the injury.

Cant cut or trade Collins, his cap number would actually go UP

From what I was reading if we designate him for June 1 there would be a cap savings of around $2.5M, is that not correct?

And believe it or not Barber which I didn't realize was signed to a two year deal and we would save another $2.0M by cutting him.

I had not considered the post June 1 cut... and according to over the cap, a post june 1 would result in a savings of $7.7 mil but there's also a note on his contract that says on March 22 his base guarantee converts from injury guarantee to fully guarantee, and a june - 1 designation means the move is not technically official until that point... so that would mean his guarantee jumps and it muddies those waters?

I dont know contract law in sports, just the research i've done over time so I honestly don't know exactly how it would be effected. I don't believe that OTC number of $7.7 mil is correct because it would be all over the place if it was.

The other quirk here is that I don't believe we can outright release a player until they can pass a physical unless they agree to a release with an injury designation and then they can negotiate, for lack of a better term, a buyout... and I imagine Collins would be like any of is and would not agree to take less money than what's guaranteed.

Well, Collins to me is a cautionary tale for the future. Don't go into free agency to play megabucks to anyone EXCEPT a truly franchise player.

When the Patriots spent $50M on Stephon Gilmore or the Bucs spent for Jason Pierre Paul. These guys were clear difference makers in winning a championship or two.

Collins played a position, strong safety, that is not usually thought of as a key or 'anchor' position that you pay like a QB or LT or cover CB but in essence we came damn close to doing just that.

All of the safeties of recent memory that warrant that kind of difference maker money are turnover and cover guys like Polamalu and Ed Reed and a younger Earl Thomas.

Box safeties aren't worth that kind of value under the cap.

While I can't really argue against spending that much of the cap on a SS (as the cap goes up obviously the payroll will so I don't care about actual dollars as much as I care about % of the cap), I also don't think Collins is 'done' or can't be a valuable asset. I loved the Collins signing, and I also think he was asked to do things that he does not excel at. A lot of people are going to lump the Collins deal into the group like Archuleta and I don't think that's completely fair. Collins was an All Pro, he's young, and he has the ability to effect a game. Signing Collins to a big deal is no different than signing Scherff to a big deal. GENERALLY you don't pay an interior guard more than you're paying your two starting tackles combined... Paying a 'box safety' big money when USUALLY you reserve that for (as you mentioned) turnover or cover guys is not what a lot of teams do.

Do I wish we would not have given him the big deal because now we have Curl? Sure, but it's not like ANYONE could have seen that coming.

I can equally say that Collins never really got a chance in THIS defensive scheme and he could very well have gone back to playing at an All Pro level. The game vs Dallas he was starting to show signs of comfort and being more dynamic... he got hurt during that game....

I can also say that Collins was set up to succeed under Gruden / Manusky. Everyone knew he wasn't a cover corner, then got mad when he was getting beat in coverage.

Statement from Rivera on release of Alex Smith

1614963906264.png

honest and real....

I actually trust that comment from Ron. I wouldn't have been able to do it a from 2008 until he got here.

what bugs me is that Smith was the best qb on the roster, haskins could have learned a lot from him. imagine haskins physical talent with smiths guts and brains? instead smith won games for us when we probbaly would have been better off losing and his reward is to get a ticket out of here. I think restructuring him and keeping him to mentor a young qb we draft if taylor doesnt turn out to be the guy, was a way better way but who knows what happened behind the scenes.

Well that's what happens when you have 3 or 4 quarterbacks each of whom has certain skills but none of them embody the complete package for the position :confused:

Here's what I anticipate from Smith. He will try and go back to Kansas City or to another strong playoff contender and accept being the backup at $3M for 2021. Then he will hold for extra points and field goals and try to get a ring sitting on the bench watching.

If that happens he will proudly wear the ring and say 'this team supported me in my efforts to continue my NFL career and for that I am eternally grateful to the city of _____________ (fill in the blank).'

Meanwhile the team in Washington that paid him the guaranteed money and generational wealth (for 16 games over 3 years) his family will depend upon in years to come will continue in his eyes to be the 'bad guys'.

I remember seeing Mark Brunell do something similar in 2009 after the Saints won the Super Bowl and he was on the bench all year as Drew Brees' backup at $1.5M.

what bugs me is that Smith was the best qb on the roster, haskins could have learned a lot from him. imagine haskins physical talent with smiths guts and brains? instead smith won games for us when we probbaly would have been better off losing and his reward is to get a ticket out of here. I think restructuring him and keeping him to mentor a young qb we draft if taylor doesnt turn out to be the guy, was a way better way but who knows what happened behind the scenes.

I would venture to guess that the option was explored and Alex wasn't interested. If you take Rivera at his word Alex asked to be released...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.