• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Adam Carriker is a Redskin

may be the rams are going to use this draft pick as a package and trade out of the first pick.....

Allen/Shanahan don't seem interested in "giving up the store" for anybody do they?

Now there's a change in operational strategy if I've ever seen one. I like it-this move for Carriker has very little downside risk even though the upside is uncertain, but it seems to fall right in with Allen's rep for trying to get the most value possible with a move. And in an uncapped year no less. Amazing. :)

We move from pick 135 to 163. Hardly think anyone in that group of 28 players will have the instant or long-term potential as Carriker, and the fact that Hasslet coached him personally means that he had to in some way vouched for him and blessed this move.

The old regime overpays for this move. The new regime does not. :claps:

the new regime has no intention of building for the long-run. this is a high stakes gamble they are taking - one donovan injury away from disaster.

frankly, I was hoping for a purposeful restructure that built a long-term, sustainable foundation. this is a play for the immediate future which...IMO...is pointless and self-destructive if it does not end state in a SB appearance in 2 years. oh well.........let's hope our roster restocked with players coming off injuries can produce a season unlike last season's injury riddled debacle.

Breathe Al, breathe... we swapped a couple of 5th rounders - for a 25 year old. Hard to argue that's any kind of a gamble for short-term gain. In fact, the Rams are taking the bigger gamble as I like our odds of turning a healthier Carriker into a productive player than the odds they find someone witht that pick who even ends up making the team. If you're commenting about the overall strategy we're seeing - I think that holds more water. I won't judge until after the drafts over and the dust has settled.

good move,

look at it this way:

1. Get a former 1st round pick for 2 years for nothing.

2. We traded for Carriker for a net of 25 spots (-28 spots in 5th round, +3 in 7th round)

3. Draft ends early for us. Those at FedEx that day will get to see MIke Shanahan earlier.

4. Carriker is still on his rookie contract, so we get a potential starter on the cheap.

5. 3-4 DEs are not easy to find and this guy has the intangibles to be a 3-4 DE.

-More or less the Rams made the deal b/c Carriker didn't fit the Rams scheme and was often injured. One has to think this is why Haynesworth will be traded as well

- Also, why do I see Vinny Cerrato trading a 3rd or 4th round pick for this player in previous years?

Some possible clues from David Leon at BleacherReport.

Whatever the case may be, this is precious little compensation for a former 1st rounder who carries no legal baggage. This move looks suspiciously like a contract dump. In trading Carriker, the Rams will unload a former 1st rounder's paycheck.

The trade is no surprise. It has been rumored for several weeks now by Adam Schefter (ESPN) and Jason La Canfora (NFL Network). Carriker is considered a natural 5-technique by Mike Mayock, chief draft scout for NFL Films. The 5-Technique is the defensive end in 3-4 scheme. The Rams have been playing him out-of-position throughout his career in St. Louis. In Washington, Carriker will have his first shot at playing defensive end in the NFL.

Don't be surprised if Carriker shines. The Rams have a lamentable history of releasing, trading and not signing 1st Round defensive linemen. Sean Gilbert, Kevin Carter, Jimmy Kennedy, Ryan Pickett, and Damione Lewis are a few of the others. Most of those players have shined or blossomed after leaving the Rams.

A cash-dump of this type has fueled speculation, led my ESPN blogger Mike Sando, that the Rams are financially crippled by their current ownership uncertainties.

Article link.http://bleacherreport.com/articles/381653-st-louis-rams-deal-adam-carriker-to-washington-for-a-5th

the new regime has no intention of building for the long-run. this is a high stakes gamble they are taking - one donovan injury away from disaster.

frankly, I was hoping for a purposeful restructure that built a long-term, sustainable foundation. this is a play for the immediate future which...IMO...is pointless and self-destructive if it does not end state in a SB appearance in 2 years. oh well.........let's hope our roster restocked with players coming off injuries can produce a season unlike last season's injury riddled debacle.

It's too early for judgements. Let's let the draft take place first and then assess where we're at. If they somehow pull in some more picks and end up taking a potential franchise QB on TOP of picking up some serious OL help....then, I think we can say out loud that McNabb, while viewed as an immediate fix, can also be viewed as a bit of a stop-gap.

Time will tell, huh?

Breathe Al, breathe... we swapped a couple of 5th rounders - for a 25 year old. Hard to argue that's any kind of a gamble for short-term gain. In fact, the Rams are taking the bigger gamble as I like our odds of turning a healthier Carriker into a productive player than the odds they find someone witht that pick who even ends up making the team. If you're commenting about the overall strategy we're seeing - I think that holds more water. I won't judge until after the drafts over and the dust has settled.

not biting that bait. this is just one move among many that is starting to add up to a pattern I don't favor. they've done almost NOTHING to restructure this team for the long haul. for the most part..this is samo samo: bring in older guys, sign players coming off injuries other teams have jettisoned, bring in players available due to money/value disputes, etc.,.......give away draft picks.......focus on the here and now. yes...they aren't signing ridiculous contracts. we already know how this script ends. IMO....especially if they do not replenish draft picks this year or next.....we're gonna be sittin back in about 3 years watching the Iggles in the SB after our own swift, early exit from the playoffs.

the lone saving grace is that it's still early. this may be the front end of "get competitive now" to retore winning habits, revive a competitve culture of accountability, etc., and methodically restock with youth & atleticsm through the draft starting next season. that said...I look at these signings and none of them signal "here longer than 3 years" to me.

Question: If it's so obvious that he was playing out of position for the Rams, why didn't they realize that? And if they did, why didn't they move him outside? Even after this trade, their GM is quoted as saying that they were fairly loaded at DT so he was more or less expendable, but apparently they would rather trade him for nothing than find a roster spot for their 1st round pick somewhere else on the DL.

I know they play a 4-3, but surely he had/has LDE potential, or did they think he couldn't beat out Leonard Little, who's gonna be 37 this season?

Terry, I think they have Long playing LDE don't they?

Question: If it's so obvious that he was playing out of position for the Rams, why didn't they realize that? And if they did, why didn't they move him outside? Even after this trade, their GM is quoted as saying that they were fairly loaded at DT so he was more or less expendable, but apparently they would rather trade him for nothing than find a roster spot for their 1st round pick somewhere else on the DL.

I know they play a 4-3, but surely he had/has LDE potential, or did they think he couldn't beat out Leonard Little, who's gonna be 37 this season?

Why did the Skins try to play Orakpo at OLB and Landry at FS? Why did San Francsisco (and now the Skins) try to play Carter at OLB? It happens all the time, players are asked to do things they aren't comfortable with/don't have the skill set to do. It is what it is.

not biting that bait. this is just one move among many that is starting to add up to a pattern I don't favor. they've done almost NOTHING to restructure this team for the long haul. for the most part..this is samo samo: bring in older guys, sign players coming off injuries other teams have jettisoned, bring in players available due to money/value disputes, etc.,.......give away draft picks.......focus on the here and now. yes...they aren't signing ridiculous contracts. we already know how this script ends. IMO....especially if they do not replenish draft picks this year or next.....we're gonna be sittin back in about 3 years watching the Iggles in the SB after our own swift, early exit from the playoffs.

the lone saving grace is that it's still early. this may be the front end of "get competitive now" to retore winning habits, revive a competitve culture of accountability, etc., and methodically restock with youth & atleticsm through the draft starting next season. that said...I look at these signings and none of them signal "here longer than 3 years" to me.
Like the way you tried to sneak that in there. :)

Talk to me about what specific picks Allen/Shanahan have given away so far?

I accept giving up the 2nd this year for McNabb but the pick next year on top of that is too much. No one else was reportedly offering Philly a pick next year on top of the 2nd this year and we were offering the highest 2nd already.

Is it too much for McNabb? Probably not, all things being equal but it was more than necessary in this market or so it appears to this observer.

But then I am on record for how I feel about that situation too so I might not be so impartial. ;)

Last edited:
Dunno brother ... the implication there is that Philly totally pulled the wool over Allen/Shanahan's eyes, stealing a 2nd rounder in 2011 when no other team in the league was offering even a 7th. I have seen nothing from the new brain trust to suggest that they are babes in the woods, and that would have been a move worthy of such.

All that said ... forgetting the "market" aspect of it ... to me, if you have a chance to land a perennial Pro Bowl level QB with arguably 3-4 years of top-level play left in the tank, on a team that has been a disaster at that position for as long as the Redskins have been, two second-rounders is an absolute no-brainer.

Then again, I've been a loud and proud Franchise QB kinda guy for many years, so maybe my view is actually skewed. :)

Like the way you tried to sneak that in there. :)

a 2nd and possibly a 3rd for McNabb. there's no debate here. you may be assuming some pejorative connotations on my part that don't exist. simply restating a formula used by the Skins in the past: exchange draft picks for vets (= trade the future for the present).

Hmm ... maybe I did read into it. Just seems to me when we're talking Redskins and someone I know to be pretty familiar with their recent history uses the term "giving away draft picks" in context of voicing the opinion that it's the same old same old Redskins ... it might have had a little vinegar on it. :cool:

To me, "giving away" draft picks works in a conversation about the way the Redskins brought in Brandon Lloyd or TJ Duckett. It really doesn't work for me in a conversation about a Franchise QB type of player with a good 3-4 years left to a team literally starving for competence at the most key position in sports.

Do you really view the move to bring McNabb here---specifically in regards to the draft picks it took to get him---as "trading the future for the present?"

Om, I'm not nearly as militantly cranky as Al is :) but I have to ask you, what moves have we made so far that lead you to believe we ARE building for the future?

Well, let's see ... the Redskins fired Vinny Cerrato, hired their first GM since Casserly left, hired a future HOF coach itching to show his earlier success was not just about his HOF QB, hired his potential successor in his son rising star Kyle Shanahan, let go of dead weight like ARE, Smoot and whoever else was in that initial purge, are trying to unload Fat Albert's lousy attitude in spite of the withering ridicule it will bring, have brought in the one thing the team has not had in a generation and can in fact be the rising tide that turns an entire franchise around by pulling the trigger on landing a legitimate Pro Bowl level QB who might well allow the new regime to stop the bleeding of the last 20 years and get the ship headed in the right direction once and for all. All while trying, within a reasonable budget, to remain competitive while they have said legitimate QB by filling in gaps with bargain players who have shown they can play in the league.

Beyond that? Not much. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.