• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2023 Washington Roster Moves

Biggest payday for a DT other than Aaron Donald. He isn’t even the best DT on this roster but I guess it is what it is. They may have to redo Job Allen’s deal after this.

Im actually happy we didnt just tag him to hold him hostage... He's part of the future beyond this year

Chris you were right... i was wrong

I remember a few months ago Ron making remarks about how in hindsight,he regretted the interior Dline getting broken up in Carolina and it was a learned lesson for him.
Knew he wanted to keep him but didn't think the team's financial situation with ownership in flux, would allow him to do it.

Kudos to Ron.

Chris Jones will probably top that deal.

Biggest payday for a DT other than Aaron Donald. He isn’t even the best DT on this roster but I guess it is what it is. They may have to redo Job Allen’s deal after this.

Looking forward to seeing the numbers.

I'm really surprised.

I can't really decide if this is the right move or not. I mean Allen and Payne really were the heart of this D line even more than Sweat and Young and so much of the D depends on the D line being effective, but that is a ton of money at D tackle. I guess this cements that the front office wasn't kidding about looking to Howell to be their QB. There is not going to be a lot of cap space left for free agent (or traded QBs).

I can't help but wonder if a deal this big means we are closer or further away from the sale of a team. I mean it could mean we are close enough that they are consulting with bidders and big deals can go through, but it also could mean we are so far away that the Snyders feel at liberty to do whatever they want.

I hope I am wrong and Payne plays lights out this next year but I have doubts.

And now we have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds tied up in interior defensive linemen.

This is either brilliance or more proof we are the most dysfunctional organization in the league.

I hope I am wrong and Payne plays lights out this next year but I have doubts.

And now we have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds tied up in interior defensive linemen.

This is either brilliance or more proof we are the most dysfunctional organization in the league.
Boone's recent post lessens my cynicism. He went over Payne's career stats and they are actually very similar to Allen's. So, he may have upped his game during his contract year less than I thought. Certainly, his sack numbers exploded, but sacks are bonuses for DTs. Hopefully, that result was more of a result of the new coaches more than any other factor.

Looks like they included 2023 in the deal and didnt extend off the tag.

This quote post is about the $9.4M savings... not the eluding to us making a run at Jackson.

From Keim’s article-

“Payne, a first-round pick in 2018, recorded 14.5 sacks in his first four seasons combined, but the team transitioned to a different system for the linemen (they went from being responsible to holding two gaps to rushing one). The Commanders' coaches felt Payne's breakout season coincided in part with being more comfortable in this style.”

Looks like they included 2023 in the deal and didnt extend off the tag.

This quote post is about the $9.4M savings... not the eluding to us making a run at Jackson.

Florio likes to stir crap doesn't he?
Despise that butthead.

Florio isn't the only one thinking it, DP.

Although, if you listen to his podcast, he seems fairly convinced that Washington really likes Howell.

My immediate reaction to the extension of Payne was which of the two ends, Young or Sweat, is the odd man out?

I have noticed that we did spend a bit of time meeting with Edge players during the combine, etc. I would certainly not rule out the selection of outside pass rushers on day 2 of the draft or in the early part of day 3. As we saw with the selection of Mathis, the draft is as much about succession planning as it is meeting immediate needs. I think it would also be a responsible plan of action for this organization to start determining now what a Young or Sweat can fetch in the trade market prior to the draft.

Last edited:
Take this one off your wish list...

I like the deal.

Every good player is going to be "the highest paid whatever he is" when he re-signs. That status lasts for all of five minutes.

The team desperately needs consistency and an identity. The DL is that. It's the centerpiece of the team. I'm glad the team recognizes that.

And lastly, none of this REALLY matters until Snyder sells the team. Until then even the most brilliant moves will fall flat, as the team continues to rot from the top down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.