• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2023 Salary Cap - What We Know

Funny that they break out DT and DE, but list all op together

I'd bet that is a provision of the collective bargaining agreement designed to raise the pay scale of interior offensive linemen by averaging them in with tackles. The owners likely went along with it because averaging the positions would lower the tag value of tackles - a position much more like to get the tag than a G or C.

I’m very surprised that LB is 2nd behind QB.

I'd bet that is a provision of the collective bargaining agreement designed to raise the pay scale of interior offensive linemen by averaging them in with tackles. The owners likely went along with it because averaging the positions would lower the tag value of tackles - a position much more like to get the tag than a G or C.

Scherff himself skewed that number up…. Guard payroll is going up organically with the emphasis on the interior pass rush

Washington has made the following moves against the cap:

Released
Carson Wentz - saves $26.2 million
Bobby McCain - saves $4.42 million

Franchise Tagged
Daron Payne - cost $18.937 million

I have not run the numbers myself yet but I'm reading reports this morning that with these 3 moves, Washington currently has roughly $18.4 million in cap space heading into free agency.

I thought I would update things just a bit post-draft and initial Free Agency signings.

2023 Salary Cap - $224.8 million per team

Washington's Adjusted Salary Cap - $231,251,900 (this cap plus the unused rollover from 2022)

Current Active Contracts - $238,467,660 (82 active contracts - this includes 2023 UDFAs but not draft class)
Current Top 51 Contracts - $228,169,814
Current Cap Space (Top 51) - $3,082,086

Current Dead Cap - $18,992,154

Current Total - $257,459,814 (all active contracts plus dead cap money)
Current Cap Space (All) - $-26,207,914

Current Top 10 Player Contracts w/ Cap Hit if Cut both Before and After June 1

PlayerPositionCap NumberHit if Cut Before June 1Hit if Cut After June 1Possible Cut Target
Jonathan AllenDT$21.5 M$20.5 M$8.5
Curtis SamuelWR$13 M$7.2 M$2.4 M
Charles LenoLT$12.5 M$4.5 M$2.25 M
Chase RoullierC$12.42 M$8.1 M$4.05 M
X​
Kendall FullerCB$11.625 M$3.125 M$3.125 M
X​
Montez SweatDE$11.5 M$11.5 M$11.5 M
Terry McLaurinWR$11.025 M$38.975 M$22.175 M
Chase YoungDE$11 M$11 M$11 M
Logan ThomasTE$8.675 $3.5 $1.75
X​
Daron PayneDT$8.61$55$32.6

Players Outside Top 10 that could be Cap Casualties

PlayerPositionCap NumberBefore June 1After June 1
Andrew NorwellG$5.08$2.8$700K
Joey SlyeK$2.35$500K$500K
Tyler LarsenC$1.1$152K$152K
Jonathan WilliamsRB$1.1$152K$152K

Washington's 2023 Rookie Pool is $8.675 M which will take up $3.425 M in Cap Space. This means we effectively have Zero Cap Space until moves are made to clear space either through restructuring existing contracts or cutting players in the Top 51.

Rouillier should not be back in 2023, not after his having missed a slew of game going back a couple of years.

One would also think we could lower Allen and McLaurin's cap numbers with conversions of salary to bonuses in future years, given they are both under 30 and part of our core group.

I don’t know where Keim is getting his numbers but he has us at $3 million after rookie salaries with more to be gained with some expected cuts depending on the timing of those.

I don’t know where Keim is getting his numbers but he has us at $3 million after rookie salaries with more to be gained with some expected cuts depending on the timing of those.
I guess it is possible that the rookie pool is included somewhere in our numbers but that isn't how I read them on Spotrac and I don't see how they can be included in the Top 51 when they don't actually have contracts yet.

I guess it is possible that the rookie pool is included somewhere in our numbers but that isn't how I read them on Spotrac and I don't see how they can be included in the Top 51 when they don't actually have contracts yet.

All Rookie contracts are scaled so they know what they're going to cost.

Sure, but they aren't on the books yet. At least they weren't on Spotrac.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.