• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2022 Roster Updates

And Brandon Scherff sounded just like Kirk Cousins when they asked him about his future in DC :)

Listening to the Rivera/Mayhew end of season press conference a couple of things seemed pretty obvious:

1. Scherff is gone.
2. QB is primary focus this off season (as it should be)
3. McClarin will be taken care off (as he should be)
4. McKissic will be back (as he should be)

to elaborate on Scherff

This does sound eerily like the Cousins situation. I don't want to make him the highest paid OG in the league. I like the GUY, but yet again we're looking back and he played 11 / 17 games this year. ALL of these missed games can be attributed to something that is likely justfied, but when your OG is accounting for 10% of your cap and you only have him 70% of the time, the money commited put is you in a very difficult situation elsewhere.

I'm not saying I don't want him to get paid, or I don't want him to get a contract... I just think we've seen enough, from guys making 20 - 25% of what he's making, to be able to allocate that money elsewhere and address multiple holes. The sum of the parts without him can be greater than the sum of the parts with him.

Last edited:
**** Scherff. He’s a very good - not great - NFL guard. We’re talking about a guard here! He could make this deal happen in 2 seconds if he wanted to. His life, he can do what he wants but we’ve paid him far too much already. See ya.

Saw some flashes from Williams. With Gibson / McKissic (hopefully we bring him back) / Paterson / Williams, it could be a quiet offseason at RB. Very likely there are depth adds but I don't see this as a position we go hard at. Room for upgrade... but not really a 'hole'

**** Scherff. He’s a very good - not great - NFL guard. We’re talking about a guard here! He could make this deal happen in 2 seconds if he wanted to. His life, he can do what he wants but we’ve paid him far too much already. See ya.
Agreed. He's over 30 now and he's snake bit in regards to health.
Draft a guard and let him break somebody else's cap.

You argued earlier (I think?) that we needed a talented 2nd power back who could split reps with Gibson and I think you were right on that. No one on the current roster is that guy imho. We have a lot of needs in the upcoming draft and not enough picks. We need a top tier QB, Legit #2 WR, that 2nd RB, and help at LB and that’s just the top of the list.

We should have traded Scherff for a pick/picks when that was still possible. Instead we franchise him, pay him way more than he deserves or earned, and now he walks just like Cousins before him.

If I could get a shit ton of picks I’d consider trading Chase Young or Sweat and maybe Payne too.

You argued earlier (I think?) that we needed a talented 2nd power back who could split reps with Gibson and I think you were right on that. No one on the current roster is that guy imho. We have a lot of needs in the upcoming draft and not enough picks. We need a top tier QB, Legit #2 WR, that 2nd RB, and help at LB and that’s just the top of the list.

We should have traded Scherff for a pick/picks when that was still possible. Instead we franchise him, pay him way more than he deserves or earned, and now he walks just like Cousins before him.

If I could get a shit ton of picks I’d consider trading Chase Young or Sweat and maybe Payne too.

I would love a power back, that's part of the 'room for improvement' i referenced... I just don't think it's something we go after this offseason with any sort of large investment. The good news is you can get a good RB up and downt he draft, as well as in FA. My comment was that I don't think it's a major 'hole' regarding the unit. With Gibson / McKissic / Patterson / Williams under contract, I think team is not looking at RB as a need, more a luxury.

The best way to build a roster (imho) is to get every positon to the point you'd be comfortable on Sunday... then upgrade as it makes sense... RB is one of those positions. If we start next season with those 4 guys being our depth chart, I don't think anyone would panic... If we go Gibson / McKissic / short yardage back we could be just that much more confident.

Just on a hunch and nothing else, I think Payne gets moved on draft day...either in a move for more picks or to get a QB.

To add to what Keim posted…

Mayhew said “ LAST YEAR we made him the offer to be the highest paid guard in the history of the NFL and we will continue that dialog and see where things go”.

It looks like Brandon attended the Cousins School of Insincere Platitudes.

Last edited:
Rivera also said nothing to indicate that Deshaun Watson would not be considered. He said they need to determine what the legal situation is and what the league office situation is.

It also sounded like getting a true middle linebacker is #2 on the wish list after QB.

I am very happy to hear that seemingly there is interest to have JD McKissic back in Washington next year. We said it repeatedly this year that the guy makes things happen offensively and adds electricity to the unit. He's a playmaker - it's that simple. That all said, we heard similar talk a year ago when they said there was interest to get a guy like Ronald Darby resigned. We saw how that went - they basically set a price for the guy at which they were content to retain him, and beyond that, they didn't overextend to keep him at all costs.

Assuming McKissic is retained, I personally don't see him as being solely a third down guy. There were several instances this year where he played for Gibson on early downs and produced. There is no need to put a specialty label on a guy like McKissic - at some point, we need to simply acknowledge the guy as a capable running back who can share some carries with Gibson.

100% a hammer back is needed though to complement the skill of those two mentioned above. To me, Patterson and Williams are bodies at this point that don't fit that role and are solely depth for a Gibson/McKissic platoon (if that becomes a thing).

If there was one thing we could hang our hat on when we were successful this season, it was run blocking and the run game. You are pretty proud and feeling fairly good about where your o-line is right now heading into the offseason I would think. If you add a power guy to that RB mix, you could forge a really nice identity around that and teams won't necessarily want anything to do with you come the 4th quarter of football games next season (and I'm not necessarily talking about a power guy that you are only bringing in like Barber on 3rd and 1 or 4th and short). I am talking about a big body that can eat some carries and help establish some ball control - a legitimate ball carrier.

Imagine the cumulative effect that could have on increasing the overall effectiveness of QB1 (whoever they identify for that role) and the offense as a whole. Suddenly, your QB becomes more dangerous, your TE becomes more dangerous, and so too do your WR1 and WR2 (who we also need an upgrade for).

I guess at the end of the day, what I am trying to say is that we need to figure out who we want to be offensively. I feel like it is fairly obvious what our bread and butter is and I would like to see us add guys that connect with that identity.

I am just not quite certain that it is the identity the leaders of this team necessarily want to go after.

Ron talked lovingly about the run game for a considerable amount of time in the presser. It sounded like that is the identity he wants. He will have to get Turner on that same page.

He also mentioned ‘with a healthy JD McKissic back’…. I took that as a positive sign.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.