• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2021 Draft Thread - Officially pick 19th - 1st post updated with picks

We need to do something drastic. I'm thinking package our 1st rounder and either Chase Young or McLaurin to move up to #1 and get Trevor Lawrence. Might have to throw in the 2022 2nd round pick as well.

It would be worth it.

We need to do something drastic. I'm thinking package our 1st rounder and either Chase Young or McLaurin to move up to #1 and get Trevor Lawrence. Might have to throw in the 2022 2nd round pick as well.

It would be worth it.

I'm really not kidding. I love McLaurin, and Young is going to be a great one. But neither guy is going to get us to a Super Bowl. Trevor Lawrence might.

I'm really not kidding. I love McLaurin, and Young is going to be a great one. But neither guy is going to get us to a Super Bowl. Trevor Lawrence might.

I mean I get the push to get a guy like Lawrence, but we're talking about 2 guys that could be top 5 at their positions for the next 10 years. Lawrence has been touted as the best prospect since Luck, and Luck couldn't do it all by himself either...

Losing Young OR McLaurin is a loss, but again, neither guy alone is going to be the difference in our achieving long term success or not. As long as we are mediocre at QB, we will not consistently contend.

Losing Young OR McLaurin is a loss, but again, neither guy alone is going to be the difference in our achieving long term success or not. As long as we are mediocre at QB, we will not consistently contend.

I get it, I do... it's not a move I likely get behind, but I get it..

I mean I get the push to get a guy like Lawrence, but we're talking about 2 guys that could be top 5 at their positions for the next 10 years. Lawrence has been touted as the best prospect since Luck, and Luck couldn't do it all by himself either...

Andrew Luck is a great case study here. He couldn't do it all by himself and the desire win and do it all himself left him burnt out and out of the game after 7 years. Also, I think I posted this before, but Patrick Mahomes (drafted 10th overall) is the only top 10 pick to win a Super Bowl in the last 22 years other than the Manning brothers. Peyton always had the choke moniker attached to him, but it was really because his supporting cast was lacking. Eli may be the most overrated QB in NFL history and won because of his supporting cast. The reason top QBs don't win like they are expected is because they get drafted by teams that suck or teams that give up talent to get them and then subsequently suck. Brady and Wilson are great examples of mid to late round QBs with success, but they are rare and special. However, the list of Super Bowl winning QBs is littered with journeymen QBs. (Foles, Flacco, Dilfer, Johnson, Rypien, Hostetler, etc.)

The best move is to work on building the offensive line, the offensive weapons, and strengthening the back 7 on defense. Then you develop a QB by finding a guy in the middle of the 1st round or later rounds you can see succeeding. Or you bring in a veteran QB who can do the job without having to do it all on his own.

Eli, Terry Bradshaw and Joe Namath in a three-way tie for most overrated QB's with Super Bowl wins.

I’m not arguing we take my approach generally. I’m arguing that we do it for one special franchise-changing player. In the vast majority of cases, giving up major talent or high draft picks is a mistake. RG3 is the embodiment of that approach. But there are some players who warrant doing whatever it takes to acquire them. Lawrence is going to be one of those. We have no future QB starter in the pipeline. The idea that we can find a great starter in later rounds - well - I’ll simply say that nowhere in modern history is there any evidence we are capable of that. Lawrence is the closest thing to a sure bet we have seen in recent years. This is the time to be uber-aggressive and go get him.

Well, if you look around at many of the best teams their qb's didn't come within the first 5-6 picks of the draft.

I don't know why folks are obsessed about the pick. It's not the pick, it's the PICKERS that matter. We took Haskins at #15 against the advice of the football people in the room and look at what we have now. Meanwhile, we moved back into the first round later on and took the player Smith wanted to take at #15 at #26, Montez Sweat, and he now looks like a future pro bowler.

You get what you earn.

Mahomes was taken at #11, Jackson at #30, Rodgers at #24, Roethlisberger at #13, and then there are the second and third rounders like Drew Brees and Russell Wilson.

The team will find a good qb to develop if they don't panic as the 2012 team did and trade their future for one pick in RGIII that lead to an organizational collapse after he failed to develop into an established consistent player.

Ken Stabler is overrated as well. His career numbers, more interceptions than TD's, etc. don't warrant HOF selection. But he was on an iconic team from the 1970's and went in because of that as much as anything else.

No - it’s not about the pickers either. It is about the player picked - and nothing else. Maybe they like a player later in the draft and if so, we’ll see them take a flyer on a guy like they have countless other times. I guess eventually, if only based on statistical luck, you have to get one right :)

But if Trevor Lawrence is the next Peyton Manning, you do just about whatever it takes to go get him. Is there a limit to what is reasonable? Of course. But I’d definitely throw our current best player into the mix if it was enough along with picks to get him on this roster.

The discussion isn’t about ‘can you find a starter outside of a top 10 pick?’ Clearly you can (or rather, other competent teams can). The question is, if TL is as great as he looks to be, what cost is justifiable to go and get him?

Was it really more important to get Eli Manning or Philip Rivers over Ben Roethlisberger in the 2004 draft? Or Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers in 2005?

Because that is what you are in essence saying. I don't see too many people predicting that Trevor Lawrence is a John Elway or Peyton Manning sure-fire bet to be an NFL star/Hall of Fame type player.

He is a blue chip prospect, though, and makes last year's selections of Jones and Haskins in the top 15 look like reaches in a 'normal draft'. Most consider 2019 to have been a very weak QB class.

So your argument is - TL might be Eli, not Peyton ... well, yeah, if that’s their assessment of course they shouldn’t do anything dramatic.

Im saying he’s the next great starting QB - and based on that assessment you do almost anything to get him.

No - it’s not about the pickers either. It is about the player picked - and nothing else. Maybe they like a player later in the draft and if so, we’ll see them take a flyer on a guy like they have countless other times. I guess eventually, if only based on statistical luck, you have to get one right :)

But if Trevor Lawrence is the next Peyton Manning, you do just about whatever it takes to go get him. Is there a limit to what is reasonable? Of course. But I’d definitely throw our current best player into the mix if it was enough along with picks to get him on this roster.

The discussion isn’t about ‘can you find a starter outside of a top 10 pick?’ Clearly you can (or rather, other competent teams can). The question is, if TL is as great as he looks to be, what cost is justifiable to go and get him?

This is fair, your second sentence contradicts the first one. It is about the pickers because they're the ones evaluating whether or not that player is the next Peyton Manning. If Rivera, Smith, Turner, and Zampese believe that Lawrence is the next Peyton Manning, then the 'correct' price to go up and get him is borderline limitless. The problem is that there are going to be a handful of teams ahead of us (including the team that currently holds the no. 1 overall pick) that will be in the QB market... so market price will be elevated even further...

I admit I tend to be a bit cynical about QBs coming out of college. That every year we hear about how this current prospect is the best prospect we've seen since XXXXXXX. Last year Burrow SHOT up the draft boards and people were saying he was the best prospect since Luck. This year it's Lawrence. Now I'm not saying 'generational' talent (i hate that term) QBs come out every year, and when they are available you absolutely need to consider what it would take to get one... but a QB coming out of college is still a QB coming out of college. 2 legit 1st round talents that have already shown they can get it done on the NFL level.... that's a lot... (I know you only mentioned trading 1 of them).

Now if you're telling me Lawrence is the QB here for the next 13 seasons and leads us to a Super Bowl? Yes. Give up whatever you need to give up in order to make that happen because at the end of the day, winning the SB is the goal... but that question can't be answered with any real conviction.

My early draft predictions for our Washington Football Team... if we ultimately pick 19th

RD 1: Christian Darrisaw #77 - OT - Va Tech

RD 2: Paris Ford #12 - S - Pitt

RD 3 - Desmond Ridder #9 - QB - Cincinnati
(this is pre-2020 season)

RD 3 - Jake Ferguson #84 - TE - Wisconsin
(again pre-2020)

Reactions: Om

It would be worth it.

I almost reported this guy for the above post.

Walter football has us taking qb Zach Wilson at 17, & then Sanford’s ot Walker Little in the 2nd. I don’t necessarily hate it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.