• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2021 Draft Thread - Officially pick 19th - 1st post updated with picks

James Smith Williams has talent as a edge player and I think people dismiss him because he was a seventh round pick.

Del Rio mentioned him last year when talking about developing players.

That may be one reason depth on the DL is not in plan for this draft.

For the first time in quite a while, it's nice knowing that the guys we are adding in Rounds 3 through 7 do not necessarily need to step into the lineup and fill starting positions, as a result of bare cupboards on the roster.

Instead, in most instances, they are going to push the depth pieces to be first off the bench. That's the way it should be.

That is also what allows these players to be brought along at a pace that supports their development.

Unrealistic expectations and throwing these kids to the wolves is often a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately, we know this all too well as a result of very weak roster management over the last 25 odd years or so.

Outside of LB and maybe LT, there are not too many spots currently where this crop of drafted players will be expected/needed to push the starters/new free agency acquisitions.

As a fan base, this should make us feel good for the first time in a long time.

Reactions: Om
It's funny but Trevor Matich and now Brian Mitchell has talked about getting a blocking tight end.

It's not the most 'visible' position on the field but having a guy that can seal off the edge and get a ballcarrier into the end zone on fourth and one at the goal line is something winning teams seem to have.

Some teams are lucky enough to have a 'do it all' TE like George Kittle or Gronk who can block and be a down the field threat.

But drafting a blocking TE to supplement Logan Thomas who is often split out wide in the red zone is not a bad option.

Bates may need time to get a bit stronger but from his bio he seems to have the warrior mentality of WANTING to drive through guys.

Guys like Jordan Reed and Jeremy Sprinkle didn't have that innate aggressiveness.

In Round 5, the Forrest selection was a bit odd. I was looking at our #3 pick as corner that would perhaps transition to safety.

Anytime I see a draft bio that mentions that a guy is very productive in college but lacks good speed that raises a red flag.

It seems as if Washington has forever had safeties that lacked footspeed and I was hoping that if we made any pickups here it would be with athleticism in in mind.

Athleticism with production, however. No Troy Akpes need apply :devilish:

Anybody else surprised the Saints drafted Ian Book at #133 overall?

He looks like a Colt McCoy clone.

Anybody else surprised the Saints drafted Ian Book at #133 overall?

He looks like a Colt McCoy clone.

no when i watched his pro day he reminded me of Russell Wilson.... obviously thats just the eyeballs and i'm not saying he gonna be Wilson, but I think he's a little better than people believe.

I am assuming there will be critics of a late 6th round LS selection.

However, I think it is quite smart assuming he can do the job successfully. With Sundberg's departure, there is obviously a need.

Beyond that, we have been too used to falsely holding our breath this late in the draft in the past hoping we could get guys that could contribute quite quickly. That was largely a result of terrible roster construction.

Given where our team is currently, I am not sure a late 6th rounder unseats very many guys on our roster, or for that matter, unseats some of the depth guys. For once, we are on the right track.

Therefore, getting a potential long-term contributor on Sundays this late in the 6th is pretty clever and a good use of the draft choice.

Otherwise, we might have been staring at a guy that got cut or at best, stashed on the practice squad.

I actually like it. Finding a Special Teams contributor in the 6th round is considered to be par for the course.... regardless of how that special teams contribution breaks down. If he ends up being Sunberg 2.0 it's a home run of a pick.

I have no issue with it. Love that we’re grabbing someone late who may make the roster.

My apologies. Forrest actually runs a 4.42 which is more than fast enough to play free safety or a hybrid/corner in the NFL.

I was on my smartphone watching the draft and toggled to the ESPN pre-draft bios of the players selected after Cosmi, who were not household names for most of us.

NEVER under any circumstances go to ESPN for information on players. Most of the crap was inaccurate. They had Cosmi doing 32 reps when in fact he did 36.

Bradley-King is listed as a tweener, not big enough to play outside linebacker or edge rusher at 6'3 and 252 in the NFL. Really? Seems a number of players around the NFL are successful in that spot at that size.

8 touchdowns in a game would be super impressive in Pee Wee or Madden.

8 touchdowns in a game would be super impressive in Pee Wee or Madden.

This is going to be fun to watch. If they can get him the ball in space he’s going to make some people look silly.

I am glad we drafted healthy players. Taking the Guices and Bryce Loves sounds great on draft day as you imagine what they could do at 100% but the reality is it's hard enough for rookies to come in and transition to the NFL. But if they miss a whole season or are prone to reinjury at high attrition positions (such as RB) it usually ends up as a blown pick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.