• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2020 Skins Free Agency Tracker

Just some drive by facts on Schweitzer:

26 years old
6' 5" 314 lbs
Played college ball at San Jose State (Chemistry major)
Drafted in the 6th round by Atlanta in 2016 draft.

FALCONS (2019)
  • Saw action in 15 games with seven starts.
CAREER
  • Has played in 46 games with 36 starts in three seasons.
  • Played in 15 games in 2018. Made 13 starts blocking for an offense that averaged 389.1 yards and 6.16 yards per play, the sixth-best mark in the NFL.
  • Made his NFL debut and first career start in the season opener at Chicago in 2017.
  • Blocked for an offense that averaged 364.8 yards and 5.93 yards per play, the third-best mark in the NFL.
  • Started at right guard and blocked for an offense that totaled 322 yards, including 124 on the ground, in a 26-13 Wild-Card win over the Los Angeles Rams.
  • Was on the active roster but inactive for all 16 games in 2016.

Last edited:
So some shuffling is going to happen. You sign a starting RG after franchising your current RG? Maybe they ask Martin to move to LT and plug Schweitzer or Scherff in a LG? Who knows? :)

Edit: Looking at his career, maybe they signed him for depth. He did start some in Atlanta, but some of his time he was a backup who only started due to injury?

Last edited:
He performed pretty well for the Falcons when thrust in as a starter (from what I can tell). I think they are adding OL depth which given where we are is probably wise. I like that he's still a young guy. I stopped being a huge Callahan believer awhile back, as our OL was hardly dominant under his watch. I know a lot of that was injuries, but I don't think he was a difference-making coach for us. Just my opinion.

I think all of this in the early going in free agency is a good sign actually. Emphasis on the draft and a quiet level of confidence in the decision makers who will assemble the draft board. I believe this organization is in an interesting spot for the first time in quite a while. A true and honest belief that the decision makers know how to make decisions and can adapt to building the team in a variety of ways if the money they are willing to spend on big ticket FAs is not quite right.

I think all of this in the early going in free agency is a good sign actually. Emphasis on the draft and a quiet level of confidence in the decision makers who will assemble the draft board. I believe this organization is in an interesting spot for the first time in quite a while. A true and honest belief that the decision makers know how to make decisions and can adapt to building the team in a variety of ways if the money they are willing to spend on big ticket FAs is not quite right.
You know it means they are trading the #2 pick to the Dolphins, right?

I think every year folks get depressed because the Redskins are quiet early on - but if we're being honest, the deals that come out immediately are almost always the big name, most ridiculously expensive ones. I get there is an argument to be made that it might be better to get 1 or 2 very high priced, but difference making free agents, vs. mid to lower tier guys. On the other hand, FA has only just begun and I think being deliberate and cautious has its benefits. I also think we're dealing with a mostly new regime and should give them the benefit of the doubt until we have reasons not to.

I think every year folks get depressed because the Redskins are quiet early on - but if we're being honest, the deals that come out immediately are almost always the big name, most ridiculously expensive ones. I get there is an argument to be made that it might be better to get 1 or 2 very high priced, but difference making free agents, vs. mid to lower tier guys. On the other hand, FA has only just begun and I think being deliberate and cautious has its benefits. I also think we're dealing with a mostly new regime and should give them the benefit of the doubt until we have reasons not to.

I disagree.
Free Agency is a lot like the hoarding that's going in the country right now.
If you don't jump on it immediately, to grab the quality product, then you're not gonna like the leftovers, including packages that are all ripped apart, etc.

You know it means they are trading the #2 pick to the Dolphins, right?

59F85BF6-F77A-4D10-AEFE-3DB116CACD8F.jpeg

I disagree.
Free Agency is a lot like the hoarding that's going in the country right now.
If you don't jump on it immediately, to grab the quality product, then you're not gonna like the leftovers, including packages that are all ripped apart, etc.
It’s not that simple. First of all, while we do have a hefty amount of FA dollars. That doesn’t necessarily justify wildly overpaying (an Amati Cooper for instance).

The other thing to keep in mind is that contracts can’t be viewed in isolation. You risk alienating the hell out of your current players if you handout massive deals. Are there guys who are ‘worth’ doing that for? Maybe. But I doubt any of these big name guys are going to mean the difference between winning and losing no matter who the player is.

I would rather us focus on the draft but where we do add FAs I hope we bring in guys who are young and who may still have some ceiling.

Besides - it’s very early. There may still be a big name or two signed. I wish someone had taken the time to look at Rivera’s history in FA as I have no idea how he approached it in Carolina?

I will try to have a FA update on Thursday and the mock on Friday. Thanks for this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.